Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Arghh. Have my first proper chem lab in 10 mins and to put it bluntly, my prelab work is ****.

Bit late to tell all of you now, but hey.

That is all.

Good luck then.

ReputationRep:
    Haha. Lab was ace

Demonstrator person helped me with the prelab and i got 8/10 for that and 12/12 for the lab its self.

woot

Nice job! Just out of interest, what was it about?

ReputationRep:
    extraction and purification of benzoic acid

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fun our first lab was so boring! Titrations and my burette got blocked half way through so it was really annoying!

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing another on tuesday. something to do with the synthesis of paracetamol. possibly :confused:

(Original post by NathanM)
    i'm doing another on tuesday. something to do with the synthesis of paracetamol. possibly :confused:
    Did something similar at school: the purification of parcetamol from Panadol pills.

We took some Panadol pills and dissolved it in boiling water. Because paracetamol has a polar -OH group, it dissolves in the water, leaving insoluble impurities such as the (starch?) coating behind. We filtered the solution with a Buchner funnel and allowed the filtrate to cool slowly.

Crystals of paracetamol formed and we washed it with ice cold solvent, which removes soluble impurities.

Ta da!

It was a lot of fun. You should have even more fun - the synthesis of paracetamol.

ReputationRep:
    lol....totally. i'll let you know how fun it is tomorrow night =)

ReputationRep:
    woo....made paracetamol today. twas fun

woo....made paracetamol today. twas fun
    How did you synthesise it?

ReputationRep:
    To be perfectly honest, I don't know. :p:

Quoting my lab book though:

we mixed 4-aminophenol with acetic anhydride and triethylamine, heated the mixture (this hydrolised any unreacted anhydride and dissolved the product)

then....we put the test tube containing the product in ice so that the required product could crystalise before collecting the crystals by vaccumn filtration

we determined the melting point of the crystals.

we then put the remaining crystals in a test tube along with ethanol, NaOH, heated it again, added HCl, and then cooled it again (making more crystals)

another vacumn filtration, recorded the yield and then put the crystals (paracetamol now) in a jar to be examined and scrutinised by the lab staff :p:

bit long winded, but...that's how I synthesised paracetamol

Next week....Carboxylic acid and ester functional groups =|

ReputationRep:
    To be perfectly honest, I don't know. :p:

Quoting my lab book though:

we mixed 4-aminophenol with acetic anhydride and triethylamine, heated the mixture (this hydrolised any unreacted anhydride and dissolved the product)

then....we put the test tube containing the product in ice so that the required product could crystalise before collecting the crystals by vaccumn filtration

we determined the melting point of the crystals.

we then put the remaining crystals in a test tube along with ethanol, NaOH, heated it again, added HCl, and then cooled it again (making more crystals)

another vacumn filtration, recorded the yield and then put the crystals (paracetamol now) in a jar to be examined and scrutinised by the lab staff :p:

bit long winded, but...that's how I synthesised paracetamol

Next week....Carboxylic acid and ester functional groups =|
    kl, sounds like fun!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 26, 2006

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.