The Student Room Group

Dating person who like anime?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah sure, why not?
Original post by shazam1994
Do you mean that you won't date person who is obsessive of anime or casual watcher?

Just a random question, is English your first language?

I doubt it, as I'm not that keen on anime, and a lot of anime fans are a bit too eccentric for my liking, with their cosplay and all that.

I think girls could get away with it more than guys in my opinion.
Reply 22
Original post by Iggy Azalea

I doubt it, as I'm not that keen on anime, and a lot of anime fans are a bit too eccentric for my liking, with their cosplay and all that.

Just being lazy to proof read :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)

You do realise the vast majority of anime fans don't cosplay? Like it's more acceptable to them but most still don't.

It's like you have star wars fans who cosplay, Game Of Throne fans do it, star trek, video games etc etc etc.
Original post by DanB1991
You do realise the vast majority of anime fans don't cosplay? Like it's more acceptable to them but most still don't.

It's like you have star wars fans who cosplay, Game Of Throne fans do it, star trek, video games etc etc etc.

Yep.

But nevertheless the origin of cosplay stems from Anime and Manga fans.

Now it's become more mainstream so other fan groups join in.
Yep.

But nevertheless the origin of cosplay stems from Anime and Manga fans.

Now it's become more mainstream so other fan groups join in.

It's really not.... cosplay was an american invention under the tag costuming. Cosplay is just the modern japanese term for it. You have people as far back as 1902 doing it.

Also look back to Star Trek and Star Wars in the 1960's and 70's, it was very recent occurrence then. Westerners are still more likely to dress as live-action characters (aka real actors on screen), while the Japanese are more likely to dress up as anime or manga characters. Both have a similar amount of video game characters. Effectively the Japanese copied it from western culture, not the other way around, they however spread it to other forms of media.

It's simply in the last few years traditionally 'nerdy' hobbies are becoming more mainstream and accepted and people aren't as afraid to dress up.

I had to do an essay on celebrity culture specifying on conventions so it came up a fair amount. Plus I have considered it myself, seeing I'm a tad nerdy! lol
(edited 9 years ago)
It's really not.... cosplay was an american invention under the tag costuming. Cosplay is just the modern japanese term for it. You have people as far back as 1902 doing it.

Also look back to Star Trek and Star Wars in the 1960's and 70's, it was very recent occurrence then. Westerners are still more likely to dress as live-action characters (aka real actors on screen), while the Japanese are more likely to dress up as anime or manga characters. Both have a similar amount of video game characters. Effectively the Japanese copied it from western culture, not the other way around, they however spread it to other forms of media.

It's simply in the last few years traditionally 'nerdy' hobbies are becoming more mainstream and accepted and people aren't as afraid to dress up.

I had to do an essay on celebrity culture specifying on conventions so it came up a fair amount. Plus I have considered it myself, seeing I'm a tad nerdy! lol

Are you sure? Because, from my knowledge, the concept of dressing up in Japanese popular culture came up a long time before the 1960's, way back when Japan kept itself in isolation.

Admittedly, this had a more respectable element to it, but costume culture was always big in Japan, especially when the Daimyo requested it as entertainment. Thus when anime and manga came about, cosplay was simply an evolution of their previous pastimes.
Are you sure? Because, from my knowledge, the concept of dressing up in Japanese popular culture came up a long time before the 1960's, way back when Japan kept itself in isolation.

Admittedly, this had a more respectable element to it, but costume culture was always big in Japan, especially when the Daimyo requested it as entertainment. Thus when anime and manga came about, cosplay was simply an evolution of their previous pastimes.

That's kind of a thing like people dressing up as folklore characters or those in plays which happened all over the world, so far back you can't trace on origin. You have evidence as far back as ancient rome and greece. You have roman emperors dressing up as their favourite mythical characters or as people out of plays (and that's even some of the saner ones).

Concerning going to conventions (paid or unpaid), prizes for best outfits, home made, mostly amateur with it coming from common media is a western invention, sold to the Japanese, then re-branded in the west under the new name in the last few years.
That's kind of a thing like people dressing up as folklore characters or those in plays which happened all over the world, so far back you can't trace on origin. You have evidence as far back as ancient rome and greece. You have roman emperors dressing up as their favourite mythical characters or as people out of plays (and that's even some of the saner ones).

Concerning going to conventions (paid or unpaid), prizes for best outfits, home made, mostly amateur with it coming from common media is a western invention, sold to the Japanese, then re-branded in the west under the new name in the last few years.

I wouldn't say Japan's costumery would be comparable to mythological characters, nor folklore. Japanese folklore consists of primarily Shinto-Buddhist elements, thus costumes never played a role in this philosophy. The Japanese knew their costume activities were merely for fun and entertainment. In fact, they particularly encouraged boys and girls to take up mimicking Geishas and Samurais to entertain the family. Then upon the Meiji Restoration, conservatists really, really promoted this pastime to relive 'the isolated days'.

The convention is only a subordinate feature of cosplay, so I would probably discount that, but only on the cultural side. On the financial side of it, yes, Japan did import the idea of making money from these events.
I wouldn't say Japan's costumery would be comparable to mythological characters, nor folklore. Japanese folklore consists of primarily Shinto-Buddhist elements, thus costumes never played a role in this philosophy. The Japanese knew their costume activities were merely for fun and entertainment. In fact, they particularly encouraged boys and girls to take up mimicking Geishas and Samurais to entertain the family. Then upon the Meiji Restoration, conservatists really, really promoted this pastime to relive 'the isolated days'.

The convention is only a subordinate feature of cosplay, so I would probably discount that, but only on the cultural side. On the financial side of it, yes, Japan did import the idea of making money from these events.

That's literally happened everywhere, religious and otherwise. Again ancient Rome you have people dressing up randomly for fun based on plays. The English during the 1700-1800's were particularly fond of this.

I'm sure you can appreciate there's a difference between cosplay and fancy dress. A child dressing up as a soldier (or samurai via your example) for fun or entertainment is not unique to the vast majority of cultures. Fancy dress parties are traceable back to classical times for example.

While your correct conventions is only part of cosplay, it is where in western and Japanese notions of it originated and since grown outside of this to produce it's own sub-culture. Cosplay can be traced in the west from around atleast 1908 while cosplay in japan never really emerged until the mid 70's. Even then it was only after Mobile Suit Gundam and Urusei Yatsura in 1980 and 1979 respectfully did cosplay kick off in japan.
(edited 9 years ago)
That's literally happened everywhere, religious and otherwise. Again ancient Rome you have people dressing up randomly for fun based on plays. The English during the 1700-1800's were particularly fond of this.

I'm sure you can appreciate there's a difference between cosplay and fancy dress. A child dressing up as a soldier (or samurai via your example) for fun or entertainment is not unique to the vast majority of cultures. Fancy dress parties are traceable back to classical times for example.

While your correct conventions is only part of cosplay, it is where in western and Japanese notions of it originated and since grown outside of this to produce it's own sub-culture. Cosplay can be traced in the west from around atleast 1908 while cosplay in japan never really emerged until the mid 70's. Even then it was only after Mobile Suit Gundam and Urusei Yatsura in 1980 and 1979 respectfully did cosplay kick off in japan.

While American and European societies may have discovered cosplay in 1900s, which I have no doubt they did, both Japan and China used costumery to imitate fictional characters from 1700s onwards. It is more likely that the West, via Portuguese and US traders, discovered cosplay from East Asia and adapted it, which makes sense given the timings you have put forward (Japan finally shared its culture with the US during the Meiji Restoration).

The popular culture equivalent then evolved in the western world. And yes, it was eventually brought back to Japan, in a fashion very similar to Origami, a Chinese invention that was Nipponized and returned to China. Nevertheless, the origin of costume art and fictional character mimicry originates from Japan, and to a lesser extent, regions of isolated China.
While American and European societies may have discovered cosplay in 1900s, which I have no doubt they did, both Japan and China used costumery to imitate fictional characters from 1700s onwards. It is more likely that the West, via Portuguese and US traders, discovered cosplay from East Asia and adapted it, which makes sense given the timings you have put forward (Japan finally shared its culture with the US during the Meiji Restoration).

The popular culture equivalent then evolved in the western world. And yes, it was eventually brought back to Japan, in a fashion very similar to Origami, a Chinese invention that was Nipponized and returned to China. Nevertheless, the origin of costume art and fictional character mimicry originates from Japan, and to a lesser extent, regions of isolated China.

Western examples stil pre-date this, and previously stated dressing does not constitute cosplay. If you actually look at cosplay itself you can clearly see it's roots in conventions which were sold to japan via the west. Fancy dress as such in general is in both cultures, pre-dating contact with each other. However it's commonly known it's a massive misconception that the west copied cosplay itself seeing you have no examples of it in japan in that context prior to the 1970's while you have examples in the western world, especially the US around 70 years prior.

As I said you have examples of dressing up for entertainment in the west as far back as the classics with it never really stopping. Cosplay for example is only around 120 years old with it only being in japan for the last 40-50 years.
I like anime myself, so I don't mind...Although I prefer him to have similar genres!
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm 19 and soon 20 and trust me I love animé, My favourites,nothing anormal with me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's wrong with anime?
Original post by shazam1994
Would you date someone who like anime?

Stupid question, yes. I have watched some Anime yet. And I still go it. I would have a like-minded person.
Reply 36
I like anime, but I wouldn't want to date someone if that interest was the only thing we had in common.
Reply 37
Yes yes yess! :daydreaming:
Original post by jruru
I like anime, but I wouldn't want to date someone if that interest was the only thing we had in common.

Right. Just to talk about animes are getting boring from time to time - mangas are another interesting topics to discuss. :tongue:
Yeah, it might actually become one of the reasons we meet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending