WilliamSlim
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi I have applied for a number of mechanical engineering 4 year(includes foundation year) courses and am wondering if I would be allowed to get a maintenance loan and grant? I am also wondering how they are paid out, is it at the start of every term? Also is it every year?
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends on your family income. Most people get a maintenance loan and grant, except those at either extreme of the income brackets.

You're immanence loan and grant will be paid directly into your bank account at the start of every semester (same thing as term), 3 times a year. Works like that throughout your time at university. Tuition fees loan goes directly to the university, you don't get to see that money.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Everyone can apply for a minimum Maintenance Loan. It can be topped up further depending on your household income. Students from lower income households can get a Maintenance Grant, but those from higher income households won't get this.

You are guaranteed a Tuition Fee Loan, which covers the entire cost of your degree course tuition fees. This is paid direct to the uni.

Summary of Student Finance entitlements - and a link to a calculator which gives an estimate of what you'll get - here:
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/loans-and-grants
WilliamSlim
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Do you guys think I'd need a part time job as well?
balotelli12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If your family earn over £60K and won't support you you will have to.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You'll get roughly a 1/3 of maintenance paid at the start of each term, with slightly more for the summer.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by WilliamSlim)
Do you guys think I'd need a part time job as well?
It depends what the calculator estimates you'll get. At the lower end, yes. At the upper end, probably not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.37%
Take autumn exams (120)
31.58%
Look for a job (12)
3.16%
Consider an apprenticeship (16)
4.21%
Take a year out (67)
17.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
6.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed