Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just heard on the news someone from that american woman (who is now in prison)'s hometown defending her saying she's being made a scapegoat, she was told that 'they were to do whatever they had to do to get them to talk'....wtf? So this somehow excuses her? and from those pictures I see no evidence of getting them to talk! blind ignorance! How can she defend her actions? There's pride and there's plain stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what your talking about? What did she do? What are the details?

(Original post by Everdawn)
    I have no idea what your talking about? What did she do? What are the details?
    I think it is relating to the woman that was photographed humiliating a prisoner in that Iraqi prison. If so then I totally agree with the original poster. In my opinion she should have had the character to admit that her actions were appauling and accepted the sternest punishment that the US military can administer. Does anyone know if the "soldiers" concearned are being court-marshalled for their actions (surely they are)??? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I think it is relating to the woman that was photographed humiliating a prisoner in that Iraqi prison. If so then I totally agree with the original poster. In my opinion she should have had the character to admit that her actions were appauling and accepted the sternest punishment that the US military can administer. Does anyone know if the "soldiers" concearned are being court-marshalled for their actions (surely they are)??? :confused:
    Sorry, was fully heated in frustration I didn't really specify. Yes, you're correct that is who I'm talking about.

As far as I know, this 'soldier' has apparently been charged and is in or is going to prison.

ReputationRep:
    I think it can only be ignorance, taking photos of it really highlights just how thick some people can be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    I think it can only be ignorance, taking photos of it really highlights just how thick some people can be.
    I second that.

ReputationRep:
    She is being scarificed by the American Military to appease the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    She is being scarificed by the American Military to appease the world.
    I'd agree with that. A lamb to the slaughter while the upper echelons wash their hands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I'd agree with that. A lamb to the slaughter while the upper echelons wash their hands.
    i was unaware the upper echelons were caught red-handed with photographic evidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    i was unaware the upper echelons were caught red-handed with photographic evidence
    I'm sure they weren't. Ignorance isn't an excuse though is it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure they weren't. Ignorance isn't an excuse though is it?
    only if youve got several thousand men and women to keep an eye on at the same time

ReputationRep:
    only if youve got several thousand men and women to keep an eye on at the same time
    Of course you can't keep an eye on 140,000 servicemen. That's not the point.

A CEO cannot keep an eye on 100,000 employees either. But, if the CFO deliberately misleads the market then the CEO is expected to fall on his sword.

The same principle used to be common in politics. The civil service screwed up and the Minister in charge stood down as a matter of honor. (Of course nowadays Labor ministers are more prone to fingerpoint at particular civil servants and let them take the heat)

The point is, it used to be said that "The Buck Stops Here" That's a principle that's sadly been abandoned.

ReputationRep:
    And how is that an excuse? There is (or should be) an efficient chain of command. Don't see how the number of soldiers, per se, mitigates it in any way.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Of course you can't keep an eye on 140,000 servicemen. That's not the point.

A CEO cannot keep an eye on 100,000 employees either. But, if the CFO deliberately misleads the market then the CEO is expected to fall on his sword.

The same principle used to be common in politics. The civil service screwed up and the Minister in charge stood down as a matter of honor. (Of course nowadays Labor ministers are more prone to fingerpoint at particular civil servants and let them take the heat)

The point is, it used to be said that "The Buck Stops Here" That's a principle that's sadly been abandoned.
    Agreed - I always thought the higher pay/power was a reward for taking the higher responsibility. The higher pay and more power seems like a reward for nothing if you try to pin the blame on those who do your bidding.

ReputationRep:
    I just think that the Americans are being unecessarily brutal. They would be up in arms if pictures came out of this happening to them - they're a big bunch of hipocrites, and shame on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    I just think that the Americans are being unecessarily brutal. They would be up in arms if pictures came out of this happening to them - they're a big bunch of hipocrites, and shame on them.
    A few Americans have been unecessarily brutal.

ReputationRep:
    A few Americans have been unecessarily brutal.
    Emphasis on few

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Emphasis on few
    Seems appropriate since we so far have around 7 prison guards under investigation out of a total force of 130,000.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 10, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.