Kvllum
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Right, so currently in English we've been doing the Language section and a bit of the Literature. We've been mainly focusing on the Language side and our teacher (probably one of the best English teacher's we've had) has just left on Maternity leave. We're doing of Mice and Men and we've watched the Film but haven't even read the book yet. Plus I don't know what we do with the poetry.

So, it would be nice if someone could explain to me:
-What does Poetry have to do with the Exam?
-How does An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men tie into the exam?
-How do I revise for this to get an A*?

Thanks for reading. I appreciate any help.
Gingerbread101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kvllum)
Right, so currently in English we've been doing the Language section and a bit of the Literature. We've been mainly focusing on the Language side and our teacher (probably one of the best English teacher's we've had) has just left on Maternity leave. We're doing of Mice and Men and we've watched the Film but haven't even read the book yet. Plus I don't know what we do with the poetry.

Hi, I did this course and did the exam last June

For literature, your exam paper will have two sections:
Section A: Modern prose or drama
- This is your anthology part (so poetry)
- Either answer question 1 or 2
- Answer parts a) and b)
- You will also answer a question in Section A about AIC
- Answer parts a) and b)

Section B: Exploring cultures
- This is the OMaM section
- Answer either question 1 or 2
- Answer both parts a) and b) of the question you pick
- Part a) will give you an extract of the text and ask you to answer a question on it
- Part b) will ask you a question about the context in the whole novel and how it is presented

Look on the AQA website for some past papers to give you an example of the layout.

I hope this helps
crashMATHS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gingerbread101)

- Answer parts a) and b)
- Answer parts a) and b)

- Part a) will give you an extract of the text and ask you to answer a question on it
- Part b) will ask you a question about the context in the whole novel and how it is presented

Look on the AQA website for some past papers to give you an example of the layout.

I hope this helps
Just so the OP knows, the poetry does not appear in the same exam as Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls.

The actual structure is as follows:

Unit 1 - Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls:

Section A:

In this section, you will have to write about An Inspector Calls. There will be a choice of two questions and you have to pick one. The question has a tendency to focus on particular characters, themes or symbols.

Within this question, you're assessed on your understanding of the text, analysis and ability to interpret. There are also four marks available for spelling, punctuation and grammar.

Section B:

In this section, you will have to write about Of Mice and Men. This is question is worth the same marks as the question in Section A.

However, here, you have two parts to your question: part (a) tests your ability to analyse a given extract from the text closely, while part (b) tests your understanding of the text as a whole. Both parts are marked holistically, which means you are judged on how you perform across both of them, and the mark scheme is slightly different, so you would probably want to check it out.

Now, you have another, separate exam for poetry. This exam also has two sections.

Section A:

Here, you have to compare two poems that you have studied. Comparison is very important with this part and it's even more important to make sure you analyse both poems closely, so you can form interpretations with substance.

Section B:

This section will give you a poem you have not seen before. It tends to be rather short and easy to understand, so don't really worry too much about it.

I hope that clarifies everything for you. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gingerbread101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kingaaran)
Just so the OP knows, the poetry does not appear in the same exam as Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls.
Oh, I knew something was wrong with it, forgot there were 2 exams :eek: Sorry for any confusion caused
crashMATHS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh, I knew something was wrong with it, forgot there were 2 exams :eek: Sorry for any confusion caused
Haha, all the bullet points looked very helpful though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kvllum
Rep:
?

- Answer parts a) and b)
- Answer parts a) and b)

I hope this helps
Thanks man TSR is so helpful because all of you are like me xD
Kvllum
Rep:
?
(Original post by kingaaran)

The actual structure is as follows:

Unit 1 - Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls:

Section A:

In this section, you will have to write about An Inspector Calls. There will be a choice of two questions and you have to pick one. The question has a tendency to focus on particular characters, themes or symbols.

Within this question, you're assessed on your understanding of the text, analysis and ability to interpret. There are also four marks available for spelling, punctuation and grammar.

Section B:

In this section, you will have to write about Of Mice and Men. This is question is worth the same marks as the question in Section A.

However, here, you have two parts to your question: part (a) tests your ability to analyse a given extract from the text closely, while part (b) tests your understanding of the text as a whole. Both parts are marked holistically, which means you are judged on how you perform across both of them, and the mark scheme is slightly different, so you would probably want to check it out.

Now, you have another, separate exam for poetry. This exam also has two sections.

Section A:

Here, you have to compare two poems that you have studied. Comparison is very important with this part and it's even more important to make sure you analyse both poems closely, so you can form interpretations with substance.

Section B:

This section will give you a poem you have not seen before. It tends to be rather short and easy to understand, so don't really worry too much about it.

I hope that clarifies everything for you. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks dude :cool:
Gingerbread101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks man TSR is so helpful because all of you are like me xD
Make sure you don't think there's only 1 exam like I somehow thought there was :lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (57)
17.22%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (94)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (125)
37.76%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.29%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.32%

Watched Threads