The Student Room Group

Jealous of friends success?

So my ex best friend (I'm saying ex because she's left university and so I hardly see her any more) and I were once really good friends for a number of years and I truly thought she would be a life long friend that I could always turn to in times of trouble. Recently, however, she seems to be stuck up and spoilt, which I think has stemmed from the fact her boyfriend showers her with gifts and she doesn't appreciate the true value of money which saddens me. We used to hang out 3/4 times a week and now I'm lucky if I meet her once a month!

Since he bought them a house and her a brand new car, she seems to think she's better than me, and he is always buying her expensive designer gifts which makes me feel rubbish because I struggle for money and mainly shop at Primark/Aldi. My boyfriend can't afford to spend much on me which I understand and wouldn't expect him to, similarly my family is a lot poorer than hers, but she made fun of this the other day when I met her for lunch/shopping and this upset me but I didn't say anything because it wasn't worth it. It was hard watching her buy designer luxury items and clothes because I felt uncomfortable and jealous at how easily she can throw away that kind of money. The whole time I was with her I felt like leaving, and I've never felt like that before which makes me feel like our friendship is slowly dying. She never asked once how I was or what I'd been up to lately, the conversation revolved around her.

Another thing is I remember being really excited to give her birthday present to her and on the day she didn't even text me to say thank you :frown:. I only spent about £20 on her but that's a lot of money to me and I considered her my best friend at the time. She used to text/call all the time and now unless I firstly initiate conversation, nothing happens.

I haven't talked to anyone about this because I feel like I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill but I don't know what to do. Has anyone else ever felt jealous like this when someone you cared about changed for the worse?
I don't know either of you but from this post she seems like spoilt brat, inconsiderate, selfish and a bit up herself. Of course you might have painted her in a horrible light or you're only talking about moments that show her bad qualities, but still, rubbing your wealth in someone else's face is disgusting. So unless these are qualities you are aiming for, I don't see why you should be jealous of her :P She doesn't seem like a very nice person tbh.

I understand that you feel jealous of her money but honestly as long as you've got your essentials, it doesn't matter too much. I've always heard that the more money you have, the more money you want. And even if that isn't true, money isn't everything.
Reply 2
Original post by TheProblematique
I don't know either of you but from this post she seems like spoilt brat, inconsiderate, selfish and a bit up herself. Of course you might have painted her in a horrible light or you're only talking about moments that show her bad qualities, but still, rubbing your wealth in someone else's face is disgusting. So unless these are qualities you are aiming for, I don't see why you should be jealous of her :P She doesn't seem like a very nice person tbh.

I understand that you feel jealous of her money but honestly as long as you've got your essentials, it doesn't matter too much. I've always heard that the more money you have, the more money you want. And even if that isn't true, money isn't everything.

It's like every time I see her she gets worse so it's making me not want to see her again. When we went for lunch the other week she was texting her bf the whole time I was talking which is pretty rude. She honestly used to be so lovely and kind and now she's turned into a spoilt brat. I think she takes for granted the fact she has a brand new expensive house and can afford designer gifts. Maybe I shouldn't see her anymore because it's getting me down and I should feel happy after meeting up with a friend.
You're envious of her, and that is clouding your view of her. She probably should be more tactful around you - but you can't help that. It would be silly to sever or damage a relationship with an old friend because you're friend has got lucky.
Reply 4
I see what you're saying but if it's making me feel sad every time I see her then there doesn't seem much point in savouring our friendship. I think what hurts the most is the fact that we were best friends for nearly 5 years and now barely speak because she has other commitments and we lead different lives.
Reply 5
Original post by Classical Liberal
You're envious of her, and that is clouding your view of her. She probably should be more tactful around you - but you can't help that. It would be silly to sever or damage a relationship with an old friend because you're friend has got lucky.

I quoted you
Original post by xElsa
So my ex best friend (I'm saying ex because she's left university and so I hardly see her any more) and I were once really good friends for a number of years and I truly thought she would be a life long friend that I could always turn to in times of trouble. Recently, however, she seems to be stuck up and spoilt, which I think has stemmed from the fact her boyfriend showers her with gifts and she doesn't appreciate the true value of money which saddens me. We used to hang out 3/4 times a week and now I'm lucky if I meet her once a month!

Since he bought them a house and her a brand new car, she seems to think she's better than me, and he is always buying her expensive designer gifts which makes me feel rubbish because I struggle for money and mainly shop at Primark/Aldi. My boyfriend can't afford to spend much on me which I understand and wouldn't expect him to, similarly my family is a lot poorer than hers, but she made fun of this the other day when I met her for lunch/shopping and this upset me but I didn't say anything because it wasn't worth it. It was hard watching her buy designer luxury items and clothes because I felt uncomfortable and jealous at how easily she can throw away that kind of money. The whole time I was with her I felt like leaving, and I've never felt like that before which makes me feel like our friendship is slowly dying. She never asked once how I was or what I'd been up to lately, the conversation revolved around her.

Another thing is I remember being really excited to give her birthday present to her and on the day she didn't even text me to say thank you :frown:. I only spent about £20 on her but that's a lot of money to me and I considered her my best friend at the time. She used to text/call all the time and now unless I firstly initiate conversation, nothing happens.

I haven't talked to anyone about this because I feel like I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill but I don't know what to do. Has anyone else ever felt jealous like this when someone you cared about changed for the worse?

All I really have to say on this matter is that "pride often comes before a fall". Sorry to be cliché but it's very very accurate and something I have come across many times in life.

I also know (from direct experience) that crappy friends are not worth your time! Similar to this girl making fun of your family being less well off, my ex-friend mocked me for having different academic interests to her/believing in God. I also didn't say anything because I thought it wasn't worth it at the time. It is of the UTMOST importance that you surround yourself with people who enjoy your company; there is zero point in putting in effort for people who wouldn't do the same for you! Sometimes you have to be selfish with this kind of thing, it's really hard at times but good for an individual in the long run.

I've said it many times on other threads but 'breaking up' with my sucky old friends was one of the best decisions I ever made! I'm much more confident about my academic ability and about myself in general. I only surround myself with people I like and who like me: it works wonders for self esteem!

You don't need to be jealous that she has designer clothes and accessories, very few people are in that position and she should consider herself lucky to have a boyfriend willing to pay for that lifestyle! However, what you should really be thinking is that at least your boyfriend loves you enough to not have to prove himself by giving you lavish gifts, he cares for you and that's enough :smile: I wonder if her boyfriend cares about her as much as your boyfriend does for you (Versace or no Versace :P )

I hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Paulska_
All I really have to say on this matter is that "pride often comes before a fall". Sorry to be cliché but it's very very accurate and something I have come across many times in life.

I also know (from direct experience) that crappy friends are not worth your time! Similar to this girl making fun of your family being less well off, my ex-friend mocked me for having different academic interests to her/believing in God. I also didn't say anything because I thought it wasn't worth it at the time. It is of the UTMOST importance that you surround yourself with people who enjoy your company; there is zero point in putting in effort for people who wouldn't do the same for you! Sometimes you have to be selfish with this kind of thing, it's really hard at times but good for an individual in the long run.

I've said it many times on other threads but 'breaking up' with my sucky old friends was one of the best decisions I ever made! I'm much more confident about my academic ability and about myself in general. I only surround myself with people I like and who like me: it works wonders for self esteem!

You don't need to be jealous that she has designer clothes and accessories, very few people are in that position and she should consider herself lucky to have a boyfriend willing to pay for that lifestyle! However, what you should really be thinking is that at least your boyfriend loves you enough to not have to prove himself by giving you lavish gifts, he cares for you and that's enough :smile: I wonder if her boyfriend cares about her as much as your boyfriend does for you (Versace or no Versace :P )

I hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you this has cheered me up a lot! Crappy friends aren't worth our time, it hurts but I think I'll feel a lot better off without her negativity in my life. It got me really down how she feels that she's better than me, and whenever I meet her I feel as though I look cheap stood next to her and I shouldn't feel like that.

I'm sorry you've experienced a similar situation but I'm glad you're happier now without your horrible friends in your life. I'm surprised my friends boyfriend hasn't broke up with her to be honest because she takes him and his money for granted and it most definitely has turned her more into a stuck up bitch since moving in with him. She didn't even bother to tell me that she was going away for a few weeks which really hurt. I just feel pushed aside like our friendship meant nothing.

I don't think I'll cut her off as in delete her number etc because at the moment that isn't completely necessarily and seems rather childish, but then again seeing her bragging posts on Facebook is one of the reasons why I dread logging in

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending