TSR Game of the Year Awards: Second Chance Voting! (Win a free game!) Watch

Poll: Who do you want to give a second chance at the final?
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (1)
3.85%
Civilization: Beyond Earth (1)
3.85%
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (0)
0%
Endless Legend (0)
0%
Far Cry 4 (7)
26.92%
FIFA 15 (1)
3.85%
FIFA 15 Ultimate Team for iOS and Android (0)
0%
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (1)
3.85%
LittleBigPlanet 3 (0)
0%
South Park: The Stick of Truth (6)
23.08%
The Evil Within (2)
7.69%
The Walking Dead: Season 2 Episode 2- A House Divided (2)
7.69%
Transistor (2)
7.69%
Watch Dogs (3)
11.54%
Wildstar (0)
0%
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
It's round two for the unlucky runners up now, with the 15 games that didn't quite make the cut in their respective quarters getting one last shot to make it into the remaining three places of the final next week.

Also, in an exciting bit of news, the good folks at TSR HQ have decided they're going to give away a game to one lucky user, who will get a choice of any game they like from the 16 finalists :teeth: all posts made in any Game of the Year (with a few basic restrictions, no dupe accounts, spamming etc) thread will count towards entry, and the winner will be chosen at random then contacted to pick their game (age ratings permitting).

So, which game are you planning to give a shot at redemption? Get commenting below! As always, here's a brief recap on the contenders courtesy of Giantbomb and Metacritic;

Second Chance Nominations

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

The eleventh installment of the Call of Duty franchise brings modern military thirty years into the future, as new technology makes a certain Private Military Corporation the dominant military force of the world.
Civilization: Beyond Earth

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth sends players on an expedition from Earth to lead their people into a new frontier to explore and colonize an alien planet, and create a new civilization.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze has players help Donkey Kong and his friends get back their home from Vikings. Swing, swim, leap, and barrel-blast your way through tons of eye-popping levels to save DK Island from a permanent freeze.
Endless Legend

Endless Legend is a 4X turn-based fantasy strategy game by the creators of Endless Space and Dungeon of the Endless. As you discover the lost secrets of your world and the mysteries of the legends and ruins that exist as much in reality as in rumor, you will come to see that you are not alone. Other peoples also struggle to survive, to grow, and perhaps even to conquer.
Far Cry 4

Far Cry 4 puts the player in the mind of Ajay Ghale and pits him against a deadly antagonist and an even deadlier environment. Caught in the middle of a brutal Civil War while fulfilling his mother's dying wish, Ghale must fight back against the oppression of Kyrat's leader, Pagan Min, while also battling the ruthlessness of the jungle.
FIFA 15

EA's annual soccer release is back for the year 2014. New to this year's installment, players have memories and will show emotion based on the context of the match and more will strive to keep you engaged in the story of the game.
FIFA 15 Ultimate Team for iOS and Android

Earn, trade, and collect superstars like Lionel Messi and Eden Hazard to create your own fantasy team. Choose your play style, formation, kits, and more.
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Take part in an ever-changing FINAL FANTASY as you adventure and explore with friends from around the world. Experience all the hallmarks of the franchise - airships, chocobos, moogles, and more.
LittleBigPlanet 3

In LittleBigPlanet 3, explore a world riddled with creativity as you explore all areas of the Imagisphere, accost the inhabitants of the mysterious planet Bunkum and confront the nefarious Newton. Meet a variety of surprises that the LittleBigPlanet Community have created and shared for you to enjoy, with new levels and games to play every day
South Park: The Stick of Truth

An Obsidian-developed role-playing game based on the South Park animated TV series, in which players control a new kid in the eponymous town of South Park and takes part in an epic pretend-fantasy story that threatens the entire town.
The Evil Within

While investigating a mass murder, Detective Sebastian Castellanos descends into a gruesome, nightmarish world. This third-person survival horror game marks the debut of Tango Gameworks, a studio headed by Resident Evil progenitor Shinji Mikami.
The Walking Dead: Season 2 Episode 2- A House Divided

After separating from her friend Lee, young orphan Clementine must survive through the undead apocalypse with a new roaming group of survivors in this sequel to Telltale's original five-part adventure based on the comic book The Walking Dead.
Transistor

Transistor is a science-fiction themed action RPG set in a futuristic city where players will take on the role of a young woman who gains control of an extraordinary weapon of unknown origin after a mysterious group of assailants nearly kills her with it.
Watch Dogs

A third-person open-world game from Ubisoft, set in a dark alternate version of the US where corporations track and catalog all online behavior over a vast data network. A vigilante group called the Watch_Dogs hacks into this data, using it to hunt criminals.
Wildstar

WildStar is an massively multiplayer online adventure game where players make their mark as Explorers, Soldiers, Scientists or Settlers and lay claim to a mysterious planet on the edge of known space.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Only considering game I've played (which admittedly limits things quite a bit) I must say it's not too easy (again). CoD, for once, has actually tried something new and fairly successfully, FC4 was decent, but lacking, and Watch_Dogs was a nice idea but not amazingly well executed (and I've played too little of transistor too long ago to remember it)
Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's a close call between Far Cry 4 and Tropical Freeze for me, but I'm giving my vote to Far Cry based on sheer fun-factor.
cambo211
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't think any of these are even vaguely deserving of GotY but of the list TWD is the one I enjoyed the most.
Mushi_master
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Stick of Truth definitely needs to be in the final list!
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I gave a vote for CoD, simply because it's redefined itself this year instead of stagnating further.
Iridann
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Out of all of those I decided to vote for FFXIV ARR as it's one of the games on the list which I most enjoyed playing. It took a pretty poor MMO, rebooted it and created something really fun to play with a well established lore.

Enjoyed CoD:AW but it's not too different, don't own a copy yet.

Really enjoyed Wildstar but I felt like the issue with PVE was it chucked you in at the deep end, which isn't fun unless the rest of your party know what they're doing. So as someone who started later than friends I didn't really get to enjoy any PVE while leveling which was a big shame.
Deyesy
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are arcade games not given a look in? :holmes: Valient Hearts is the best game I've played this year so far - it wasn't listed in the Q2 list?
a_shabba
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
some really big games missed out of this list imo, dark souls 2, hearthstone, destiny, bayonetta 2, the new world of warcraft expansion, infamous, shadow of mordor, wolf among us, and these are just to name a few of the many better contenders
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by a_shabba)
some really big games missed out of this list imo, dark souls 2, hearthstone, destiny, bayonetta 2, the new world of warcraft expansion, infamous, shadow of mordor, wolf among us, and these are just to name a few of the many better contenders
IIRC, several of these aren't on here because they made it through already, such as DS2, Shadow of Mordor and hearthstone. WoW expansion wasn't eligible in the first place anyway because it is just that, an expansion.
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
None of them were particularly good - certainly not GoTY, but for the fun I had playing it, South Park: Stick of Truth
Gofre
Rep:
?
(Original post by a_shabba)
As mentioned above, this is the second chance round, where games that didn't make the top three in each of the quarterly votes gets another chance to occupy the remaining spaces in the final poll :yep: Dark Souls, Hearthstone, Destiny, Infamous and Shadow of Mordor are all already in the final, Bayonetta and Wolf Among Us have been knocked out as they did not receive enough votes in their respective qualifiers, and Warlords of Draenor was not eligible as an expansion pack.

You can see the current finalists by clicking here and checking the results spoilers for each quarter. The top 3 voted games in this thread will join the games in bold for the final vote.
a_shabba
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
As mentioned above, this is the second chance round, where games that didn't make the top three in each of the quarterly votes gets another chance to occupy the remaining spaces in the final poll :yep: Dark Souls, Hearthstone, Destiny, Infamous and Shadow of Mordor are all already in the final, Bayonetta and Wolf Among Us have been knocked out as they did not receive enough votes in their respective qualifiers, and Warlords of Draenor was not eligible as an expansion pack.

You can see the current finalists by clicking here and checking the results spoilers for each quarter. The top 3 voted games in this thread will join the games in bold for the final vote.
aaaahhh ok, completely missed that thread so had no idea
accountant-future
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
South Park: The stick of truth is superb
Gofre
Rep:
?
And that's the poll closed! Far Cry 4, South Park and Watch Dogs have all fought their way through to the finale which will be up shortly.
Illusionary
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
With only one vote I couldn't give it to DKC: Tropic Freeze myself, but it's sad to see that it didn't get any at all here - I'd say it's quite a lot stronger as a game than Watch_Dogs in particular. Still, I'm pleased to see Far Cry 4 winning this vote.
Iridann
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sad to see no votes for any of the MMORPGs bar mine. Wasn't too impressed with the south park game myself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.29%
I used to but I don't now (18)
2.45%
No, but I want to start (275)
37.36%
No, I am unable to (177)
24.05%
No, I chose not to (205)
27.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise