Turn on thread page Beta

I was self teaching my A levels which required me to enter as a private candidate which required me to pay for my own exams at £12.10 per module which would be £170 but now:

1. Because the only place I can sit my exams no longer offers A levels anymore and has no exams the same time as mine I have to pay invidgulation charges per hour and about 20 hours of exams in January at £15 per hour is going to cost £300.

2. A2 History and A2 Psychology require a coursework and to validate that coursework and for the exam boards to accept it I would need to get a tutor for each one and apparently I would need at least 10 hours per subject, there is a lack of tutors in Cumbria and they take advantage of this by charging between £25 and £30 an hour so thats between £500 and £600 to be able to do 2 pieces of coursework.

3. Then my remaining 6 exams in July are the last A2 ones so are longer than the rest and come to about 12ish hours which will cost another £180 for invidgulation and £75 for the exams, not to mention more books I will need to buy for those topics.

In total for the invidgulationing, tutoring and exam fees I will need to pay £1275 and I need to pay the first £170 plus initial registration fees which will be £50 apparently and £300 for invidgulation so in total £520 by the 21st October and I do not have it. I was intending and have applied to do Law at university which now is not an option.

During September, I applied for jobs which I planned would cover the exam fees but unfortunately I didn't get any of the jobs, so my boyfriend said he would pay the £200 but he now cant afford it and even if he could he still wouldnt be able to pay the full fees in 4 days and I already owe some guy £500 for a website which he didn't like so now wants the money back and I dont have it as I spent it on software etc for the site which my boyfriend said he would pay for me,

Now I have a some savings about £200, so I was thinking I would be able to just sit my AS exams (9 in total) and as they are only an hour long invidgulation fees would be cheaper and I would be able to get the extra £50 from my b/f to pay for them and sit A2 Business Studies unit 1

I could then sell the rest of my barely touched A2 books and brand new Politics books for AS and A2 and with what I get from them by Maths materials, and sit AS Maths and the last 2 Business units in July, which would only be 5 modules I would be sitting in the summer and I would be able to have another go at finding a job.

With my ASs in Psychology, English Lit, History and Maths and A2 Business I could try and get a job as a trainee accountant in a local firm and then be an Accountant for a few years meanwhile in the next academic year (2007) finish my A2s in Psychology and History (which would only be 6 modules) and with a job I would be able to afford it then I could do a part time degree in Law or Accounting. Accounting was always my backup but I never done much research on it.

What do you think? Do you have any other suggestions? I cant do any other qualifications as the only things the only college here offers is Hairdressing, sport, beauty therapy, mechanics, building, plumbing etc and none of that is for me. I was really looking forward to going to uni

Sorry for the lonnng post!

ReputationRep:
    I think that no matter how much debt you could get into, you could possible speak to your bank and try to get a personal loan of say £1500. If you can't get it through your bank, get it through a loan broker. If you do Law at one of those universities, you will most definitely be able to pay it back.

I know that right now it seems like things are getting in your way, and they are, but it is worth being tough and sticking through it. You will get something so important at the end of it.

I know debt is debt, but some debt may be worth it. If you want interest free, it may also be worth asking parents/family and telling them you'll pay back as soon as you can.
    Another possibility is maxing your credit card.

However you do it, I do think it is worth it and you should do it. Please don't give up now. You've gone such a long way.

I wish you the best of luck. I really do.

ReputationRep:
    parental backing? grandparent backing?

or how about actually going to school/college?

I am not 18, they wont give me a loan/credit card etc.

I dont have friends with money to let me borrow and my family said "no" in a not so nice way.

ReputationRep:
    Argh, really sorry to hear that Kristen.

If you can just get your AS exams out of the way at least, then maybe take a year out or something. Would you consider relocating to a place where they have a college/6th form. Or could you not beg the other college that threw you out to let you back in then do your A2s/apply for uni next year?

(Original post by oriel04)
    parental backing? grandparent backing?

or how about actually going to school/college?
    Wow, why didn't I think of that one.:rolleyes:

My family hate me, there is no schools to go to around here, the first cancelled their courses due to lack of numbers (where I was sitting the exams) and the second and only other asked me to leave as I didn't live with parents and was under 18 I apparently caused problems.

ReputationRep:
    Another possibility is maxing your credit card.
    Sorry fonzievision, but what world are you living in?

Kirsten it would be foolish to get into debt over this (not that you can anyway because you're too young).

(Original post by smoothie)
    Argh, really sorry to hear that Kristen.

If you can just get your AS exams out of the way at least, then maybe take a year out or something. Would you consider relocating to a place where they have a college/6th form. Or could you not beg the other college that threw you out to let you back in then do your A2s/apply for uni next year?

I cant really relocate, my bf has a business based in this town and the surrounding villages all go to the 2 sixth form/colleges that I cant go to. The 6th form wouldn't even let me sit my exams there, because I had already been thrown out which would have made it so much cheaper so there is not really much hope in going back there and supposedly they now have a waiting list:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry fonzievision, but what world are you living in?

Kirsten it would be foolish to get into debt over this (not that you can anyway because you're too young).
    A world where I would do whatever it took to go to university, because I believe in the power of academia. I know people who have done it and are now very happy.

What do you mean what world do I live in? Fortunately I do not need to get in debt, but if I did need it, I would. It works for dozens of thousands of people every year who need to get into higher education any way they can. And if you go to a great university, have a great experience and end up with a good degree, it is most definitely worth it.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously think you should just go an apolgise or something, I don't know what happened, and you don't have to be sincere, just act like you mean it!

If I were you I'd go and see the college, cry etc and say you're sorry really want to get your a levels blah de blah, get yourself on the waiting list for A2 next year, meanwhile concentrate on your ASs and get them out of the way at a private centre (whilst maybe getting a part time job).

I'll contact the 6th form now and see what they say.

And forget I have a family, because for the past year they ahve ignored me and I am not running back because of money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    Wow, why didn't I think of that one.:rolleyes:

My family hate me, there is no schools to go to around here, the first cancelled their courses due to lack of numbers (where I was sitting the exams) and the second and only other asked me to leave as I didn't live with parents and was under 18 I apparently caused problems.
    There are no schools in Cumbria within travelling distance.

Wow, maybe you should think of that a bit more then :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    because I believe in the power of academia.because I believe in the power of academia.
    Love it!

Fortunately I do not need to get in debt
    I kind of inferred that from your post tbh!

Anyway, since debt isn't even applicable in this situation it doesn't matter anyway.

ReputationRep:
    isnt the easiest way to get out of this to simply beg the 6th form?

ReputationRep:
    I'll contact the 6th form now and see what they say.

And forget I have a family, because for the past year they ahve ignored me and I am not running back because of money
    Yeah do, even if you have to grovel with gritted teeth, you're the one doing yourself a favour at the end of the day. Arrange a meeting with the head or something and tell tem about your situation/your self studying etc. I can't really imagine them saying no (unless you did something really bad).

If you just get your ASs done you can hopefully have a nice clean break next year, plus with a bit of a head start if you've already started studying your A2 modules.

ReputationRep:
    so smoothie youre telling her do your as levels this year and a2 next year or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malfoy)
    so smoothie youre telling her do your as levels this year and a2 next year or what?
    Yes!

(Original post by oriel04)
    There are no schools in Cumbria within travelling distance.

Wow, maybe you should think of that a bit more then :rolleyes:
    Correct, there aren't any, I have exercised out all options with all commutable ones.

Yeah do, even if you have to grovel with gritted teeth, you're the one doing yourself a favour at the end of the day. Arrange a meeting with the head or something and tell tem about your situation/your self studying etc. I can't really imagine them saying no (unless you did something really bad).

If you just get your ASs done you can hopefully have a nice clean break next year, plus with a bit of a head start if you've already started studying your A2 modules.
    I didn't do anything bad whilst I was there and I am not sure if the Head lied about the Librarian lying about me or the librarian did actually lie and tell her I was told about the tutorial, when in fact I wasn't.

I have phoned and asked to arrange a meeting regarding me attending/coming back and she said that they had no spaces, so I asked about next year and she said that I have been told before that I wasn't welcome to come back for exams or lessons, then she just said bye and put the phone down.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do anything bad whilst I was there and I am not sure if the Head lied about the Librarian lying about me or the librarian did actually lie and tell her I was told about the tutorial, when in fact I wasn't.

I have phoned and asked to arrange a meeting regarding me attending/coming back and she said that they had no spaces, so I asked about next year and she said that I have been told before that I wasn't welcome to come back for exams or lessons, then she just said bye and put the phone down.
    sorry to hear that, why exactly did you get kicked out and how old is ur bf?

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.