Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey Roomies. After a bit of deliberation I think I've managed to whittle my choices to do Physics in 2007 down to six.

Imperial - MSci w/Theoretical
    Warwick - MPhys
    Manchester - MPhys w/Astro
    Bristol - MPhys w/Astro
    Leeds - MPhys w/Astro
    UCL - Msci w/Theoretical

My predicted grades are A,A,A,B in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths respectively. My idea was to have two universities with average offers of AAB+, two with ABB and two with BBB or lower, which is the absolute minimum I should get, really.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts, particularly on the following points:

I chose UCL because I'd really like to study in London, but do you think Royal Holloway would be a better choice?

I like the look of Warwick, but do you think I should switch it for Durham, which seems slightly more prestigious but more difficult to get into? Do you think it would be a wasted choice?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

D x

ReputationRep:
    have you considered physical NatSci courses? you could have ashot at Oxbridge with those grades - if you want a challenging course

but those choices sound reasonable - go for it

Wangers

ReputationRep:
    I thought applying for Oxbridge might be a wasted choice without all A grades, and I'm far more interested in the Physics side of it, anyhow. But thanks for the encouragement

ReputationRep:
    Hallo, I'm applying for physics too (including Imperial, Warwick and UCL).

I can't say which is better out of UCL and Royal Holloway, but I've applied to both but I'd rather end up in UCL out of the two. I've been to an open day at Royal Holloway and the students taking me round admitted that there wasn't really much to do there due to the location of the university (not in very close proximity to anything interesting, I'm told). The buildings are stunning though, on the other hand. But anyway, I'd say UCL is a pretty sound choice.

I'm applying for Durham - I personally would love to end up there. You're probably right about it being harder to get into because it's a very good university, and has the college systems and pretty buildings and all that. But with your grades, I wouldn't say it was a "wasted" choice by any means. Perhaps the B in maths could be a concern considering you're applying for physics, and would be up against lots of the students who are rejected from Oxbridge and apply to Durham as their second choice. Warwick has an ace reputation too, so there's no urgency to change your decision. I don't think a degree from Durham is miles better than one from Warwick to be honest.

Hope i've been at least slightly helpful!

ReputationRep:
    More than helpful jumpshiftbite, thanks for the advice. I'd like to put Durham down, especially since I read somewhere it wasn't particularly oversubscribed (could be wrong) but I've heard they pay special heed to your GCSE grades (mine weren't stunning) and I'm deliberating whether a Uni with lower entry requirements would be a better choice in case I don't do so well. Nightmare!

ReputationRep:
    Jumpshiftbite is right about Royal Holloway; it's only about an hour away from London by train, but it's in a tiny little village, so if you want to study in London, I'm guessing it would be far too quiet and isolated for you! UCL has a better reputation as well. As for Durham, I think you should go for it. It probably is slightly harder to get into than Warwick, and they do tend to care about GCSEs more than other unis, but I don't think physics is that competitive and your predictions are excellent.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.