The Student Room Group

My Politics Uni Choices - Opinions and advice?

What I love about TSR is the great advice/opinions available...

I'm applying to study Politics, 2016 entry, but am trying to mull over my choices early to avoid complication next year and would really appreciate helps with my choices, your opinions and also if you have any questions I'm willing to help out too!

I'm studying English Lit/Politics/Psychology and BTEC Music Performance and will NOT be dropping a subject next year.

I'm applying for head boy, help out at sixth form, got work experience in a law firm and also help out a lot with the Green Party/Lib Dems too.

Hoping for AAA/AAB (with a Distinction in Music)

Current top 10 choices are:
Cambridge [HSPS] - Risk (A*AA)
LSE - Risk (AAA)
Kings (AAA)
SOAS (AAA)
Exeter (AAA/AAB)
York (ABB)
QMUL (ABB)
Durham (AAA)
Nottingham (AAB)
Glasgow (AAB)

Obviously a task is to narrow down these to 5 (and decide between LSE or Cambridge as my 'Risk' as I'd only apply to one). I've visited a few of the above unis, looked at the courses etc. but it would be really nice to get an opinion from anyone studying at these unis.

The main thing on my mind at the moment is whether to apply for Cambridge for HSPS or LSE for Government as my risk option.

ANY advice, help narrowing down my choices, opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys :smile:
there are a number of issues you need to decide for yourself. do you believe you reach A*AA. If not do not bother applying to Cambridge as they have numerous applicants who will. Where would you settle best. would it be in the hustle and bustle of central London or in a smaller less hectic environment. the Exeter offer is likely be the higher grade unless you have been in care or your schools a level results are in lowest 40%. Durham tend to be over subscribed and most of their applicants exceed these grades and only about 40% get offers there. you are insisting in doing 4 a levels. you would be better of concentrating on 3 and trying to achieve the higher grades. when you have decided on the above you might be in a position to decide your options I cannot understand why you are choosing Glasgow unless you live in Scotland as it is a long way north and you have many options elsewhere
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
there are a number of issues you need to decide for yourself. do you believe you reach A*AA. If not do not bother applying to Cambridge as they have numerous applicants who will. Where would you settle best. would it be in the hustle and bustle of central London or in a smaller less hectic environment. the Exeter offer is likely be the higher grade unless you have been in care or your schools a level results are in lowest 40%. Durham tend to be over subscribed and most of their applicants exceed these grades and only about 40% get offers there. you are insisting in doing 4 a levels. you would be better of concentrating on 3 and trying to achieve the higher grades. when you have decided on the above you might be in a position to decide your option

Thanks for your advice Jack,

Although I know, all in all, it is my decision and my research it is really nice to get some opinions.

I'm only taking 4 on to next year because the BTEC qualification is 2 years and to drop it after one year would be pointless.

Maybe Cambridge wasn't such a good idea although an A* in Psychology is possible, and Durham was just a thought.

After visiting LSE/Kings/UCL I decided I do very much like the city, I need to go visit some smaller universities for comparison though.

And a quick question, my friend also got a very high offer back from Exeter, whys that? It's a pity, seems a very nice university with a good politics course. Applying only to get an A*AA offer back wouldn't be worth it though.
Exeter like durham is an extremely popular course especially in humanities. very often it is used as an Oxbridge alternative and I suspect the very high grades are an attempt to stop people using it as an insurance offer. subjects such as economics history an English all have standard offers of A*AA but some have been offered A*A*A but will be lowered to A*AA if firmed. however they also offer contextual offers which is usually AAB for lower performing schools students. if you are happy with London then lse kings qmul are good options. if not durham Exeter and York are your better options
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
Exeter like durham is an extremely popular course especially in humanities. very often it is used as an Oxbridge alternative and I suspect the very high grades are an attempt to stop people using it as an insurance offer. subjects such as economics history an English all have standard offers of A*AA but some have been offered A*A*A but will be lowered to A*AA if firmed. however they also offer contextual offers which is usually AAB for lower performing schools students. if you are happy with London then lse kings qmul are good options. if not durham Exeter and York are your better options

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending