Is the EU a Force For Good In Today's Society?

Watch
Jimmy66
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Is the EU a Force For Good In Today's Society?

I've been given this essay title to 'extend my learning and also for UCAS' and I have no idea what to talk about, any help would be appreciated.
Please no sweeping statements, just valid points backed up by explanation/evidence.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes and No but it's all subjective.

From the perspective of an environmentalist you could talk about carbon trading, their caps on high powered items like vacuums and lightbulbs, their higher health and safety standards for mining ect.. Equally you could be very critical and say that their regulations have pushed up the cost of production and household bills, by imposing caps on some products you force the consumer to purchase an inferior product.

You can do this for just about every topic.

But we can;t write the essay for you so i'll stop here.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is this a de je vu moment?

It's neutral.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's a political entity. It's the policies its administration promotes at any given time that can be good or bad.
chrisawhitmore
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Yes and No but it's all subjective.

From the perspective of an environmentalist you could talk about carbon trading, their caps on high powered items like vacuums and lightbulbs, their higher health and safety standards for mining ect.. Equally you could be very critical and say that their regulations have pushed up the cost of production and household bills, by imposing caps on some products you force the consumer to purchase an inferior product.

You can do this for just about every topic.

But we can;t write the essay for you so i'll stop here.
It's also necessary to bring up the unintended consequences of the policies, for example the way that carbon tax has caused some industry to move abroad, often to Asia, where it produces more CO2 than it ever did in europe (as a result of using power produced in dirty coal plants)

It's important to judge based on results rather than intentions when addressing topics like this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top