How does a capacitor regulate voltage? Watch

X3X4fr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In some of my edexcel A2 Physics unit 4 past papers, they ask about using a capacitor for regulating a varying voltage. The capacitor makes it more constant. How does this happen? What is the physics behind this?
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by X3X4fr)
In some of my edexcel A2 Physics unit 4 past papers, they ask about using a capacitor for regulating a varying voltage. The capacitor makes it more constant. How does this happen? What is the physics behind this?
The output from a bridge rectifier looks like the bottom plot here.

Name:  rectifier op.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  3.3 KB

it's DC because it always has the same direction - but it varies very regularly over time.

it wouldn't be suitable for a lot of applications - if you used it to power an audio amplifier it'd play a constant buzz through the speakers and be dreadful.

if you connected a large capacitor across the output of the rectifier, the voltage would be considerably smoothed as the capacitor would store the peak charge.

TBH I'd call it smoothing rather than voltage regulation - which was always something different when I was learning it - can you post the exact question.
X3X4fr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)
The output from a bridge rectifier looks like the bottom plot here.

it's DC because it always has the same direction - but it varies very regularly over time.

it wouldn't be suitable for a lot of applications - if you used it to power an audio amplifier it'd play a constant buzz through the speakers and be dreadful.

if you connected a large capacitor across the output of the rectifier, the voltage would be considerably smoothed as the capacitor would store the peak charge.

TBH I'd call it smoothing rather than voltage regulation - which was always something different when I was learning it - can you post the exact question.
http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...e_20100618.pdf
question 16
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That question is talking about smoothing - the capacitor stores charge from the rectifier and smooths out the voltage waveform.
X3X4fr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)
That question is talking about smoothing - the capacitor stores charge from the rectifier and smooths out the voltage waveform.
So basically what happens is the capacitor starts discharging when the voltage starts to dip?
Phichi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by X3X4fr)
So basically what happens is the capacitor starts discharging when the voltage starts to dip?

Source: Google Images (http://www.eleinmec.com/article.asp?19)
Attached files
X3X4fr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Phichi)

Source: Google Images (http://www.eleinmec.com/article.asp?19)
Alright mate thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (121)
65.05%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
20.97%
Yes but I might change my mind (26)
13.98%

Watched Threads