The Student Room Group

Mature graduate Access Course

Hi all,
I remember you all being a friendly bunch last time I posted on here,so really hoping you can advise me.
I am considering retraining as a vet. I've got a BA &MA in arty subjects, which I gained over 10 years ago. I am looking at Liverpool only as I have a mortgage&family in that area.
I would qualify for the Access course in terms of grades but was wondering if I would still be paying 20000 a year? I read on the website that it is funded now,which it wasn't 2 or so years ago&that you are treated as an undergraduate so 9000 a year but other threads on here are still talking about huge fees if you have certain qualifications.
The Access course says you can apply if your degree was over 5 years ago. Has anyone any experience of this issue? I would be looking at entry 2017 and may possibly be one of the oldest people to retrain as a vet if I were successful! Haha.
Original post by batmobile
Hi all,
I remember you all being a friendly bunch last time I posted on here,so really hoping you can advise me.
I am considering retraining as a vet. I've got a BA &MA in arty subjects, which I gained over 10 years ago. I am looking at Liverpool only as I have a mortgage&family in that area.
I would qualify for the Access course in terms of grades but was wondering if I would still be paying 20000 a year? I read on the website that it is funded now,which it wasn't 2 or so years ago&that you are treated as an undergraduate so 9000 a year but other threads on here are still talking about huge fees if you have certain qualifications.
The Access course says you can apply if your degree was over 5 years ago. Has anyone any experience of this issue? I would be looking at entry 2017 and may possibly be one of the oldest people to retrain as a vet if I were successful! Haha.

Hi there, afraid I am not in your situation but hopefully I might be able to give you a bit of insight. I know people on my course who have done 'arty' degrees, +/- worked for a bit and then entered vet school after that but I believe they just applied with A levels to the 5 year degree programme.

The 5 year programme I hear has been reduced to £9k per annum from £20k in recent times - be sure to check this on their website/by phoning to double check this is up-to-date. HOWEVER, you will need to bear in mind that this may change by the time you apply and that you won't get a loan from government to pay those annual fees. Other costs include travel to EMS placements, books, equipment which come out of your own pocket too. You could probably do a part time job during the first part of the degree, but beyond that it will be difficult to earn money.

By access course do you meant the 'year zero' programme? This would be an extra year at uni and if passed guarantees you a place at Liverpool. If you have any questions about whether you would be eligible / how much this would cost, then I'd suggest contacting the uni direct.

You will be expected to do some sort of work experience (see the sticky 'work experience bible' thread) to get into Liverpool too.

You probably won't be the oldest, we have a 50 something year old currently studying a few years below me!

I would also take into consideration whether this is what you really want to do. You need to weight up whether the cost financially and time wise is worth it for you especially that the market is saturating in terms of vet jobs in practice. With new vet schools opening all the time it may get harder for vets to actually find jobs.
Hi All
I am another dreaming potential mature vet student. I have a degree and got straight As at A level (but not in relevant subjects). Hence i am now doing an intensive Chemistry A Level and an intensive Biology A Level as evening courses whilst working and saving. My favourite choice is RVC as I live in London and I loved the Open Day. However, on their requirements they say you need GCSE A Grade in Biology. I think I only got a B (can't find my certs as I lived abroad during my childhood). I did get an A* in Chemistry though.

Do you think they would reject me on that tiny detail? To have to go through all the hassle of evening classes and weekend study for two years only to find that a GCSE from 15 years ago is holding me back would be horrendously depressing!!

And yes I have well researched vet hours, salary etc and know what I am getting myself into :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest