Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could any medics recommend a comprehensive, up-to-date anatomy textbook? Have a few months to go before uni and thinking I should be making proper use of the time. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I am going to start medicine in september but studied anatomy in my first degree. Moore and Dalley - Clinically Oriented Anatomy (i think thats the one i used) is really useful with lots of diagrams and easy to understand text. I think they do a smaller version of the book as well but i'm not sure which one is best for medicine. I'd definitely recommend getting one of them as it will be a really useful introduction cause anatomy is fundamental to medicine!

ReputationRep:
    some of the best are:

The anatomy colouring book: Kapit and Elson. defo a must buy!

also, a good little anatomy book is one by D B Moffat (Lecture notes in anatomy). Not in print now - but search amazon and they'll have one...

Good web sites include

http://www.anatomy.tv/default.aspx is expensive, however, you can have a 24hr free trial (per email addy may I add)

http://www.netanatomy.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoStInIdEaFlOoD)
    Could any medics recommend a comprehensive, up-to-date anatomy textbook? Have a few months to go before uni and thinking I should be making proper use of the time. Thanks
    Most medical schools advice you to wait until you actually start before purchasing any text books. Sometimes they can get you discounts on recommended texts, and if you buy a book which isn't the "recommended" one, it can often be a waste of money as everyone else has the same book.

Also, yes, you have a few months before uni - I'd make the most of it if I were you and not worry about distant anatomy DR sessions. This will be your last summer before embarking on a 5/6 year course, make the most of it!

ReputationRep:
    Don't buy anything until you get there!!! Medschools each recommend particular books - admittedly often because a lecturer has written it, but this often means the exam will also be based on it. This isn't to say you HAVE to use that book, but I'd recommend you have a good look at it! At £40 for a textbook, I certainly can't afford to purchase too many 'mistakes'.

For anatomy, I used (and Notts recommends) the smaller version of Moore (Essential Clinical Anatomy). This was fine, although I often used the big version in the library to supplement notes (though this wasn't necessary). I also bought Snell - its a really good book.

I bought the anatomy colouring book and quickly realised that for me, it was a complete waste of time. I guess we all learn differently though.

Don't bother reading up over the summer. It's really not necessary, and to be honest, anatomy is incredibly difficult to learn from a book. Enjoy your summer. (this is depressing... my summer holiday consists of 2 weeks... argggghhhhhhhhhhh)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    Most medical schools advice you to wait until you actually start before purchasing any text books. Sometimes they can get you discounts on recommended texts, and if you buy a book which isn't the "recommended" one, it can often be a waste of money as everyone else has the same book.

Also, yes, you have a few months before uni - I'd make the most of it if I were you and not worry about distant anatomy DR sessions. This will be your last summer before embarking on a 5/6 year course, make the most of it!
    Guess what-that's inspired me to book a holiday to Italy with my friend!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoStInIdEaFlOoD)
    Guess what-that's inspired me to book a holiday to Italy with my friend!!
    Good idea! I did absolutely no reading before coming up, and I haven't regretted that one bit. I own 3 textbooks this year, and one was 2nd hand - the others I just get from the library when I need them. Considering that just those 3 cost £95ish, you can see why.

Don't bother with trying to learn anatomy or anything else before you come up - it all makes sooo much more sense when you actually see it rather than just reading and looking at stylised diagrams.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 10, 2004

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.