The Student Room Group

Feminists have ruined marriage. Women have rights, men have responsibilities. Discuss

Scroll to see replies

a perfect solution, assuming we're talking about marriage and paternity/maternity - if you're a true feminist, defined of course by equality, you#re agree with this:
1) men have a right to opt out of parenthood responsibilities if they do not sign a contract before a certain time, perhaps 12 weeks, after inseminating a woman. if a man changes his mind in this legal system, he's ****ed. if a woman does, she is allowed to and she can have an abortion. we should both be allowed to change our minds, because hey, it's not far to force people into shackles of economic slavehood for 18 years.
2) marriage should have an automatic requirement for a prenup, just like in france, not just to oppose the idea that all marriages are about property, but to stop people from exploiting one another. either this, or have marriage not about property whatsoever unless specified otherwise.

a truly egalitarian system for parenthood and marriage, right here. for men and for women. there is no bull**** cultural, traditional or patronising argument towards women here. the controversial idea of giving men mechanisms they can use against the interests of sometimes ill-intending women is a good thing in that it is consequentially against such women, not all women, naturally, or else you'll expect women to oppose this system as if they're all selfish!
Reply 61
Original post by GoldenEmblem277
Oh, because we can so easily compare the wage gap between two very different professions... I'm just curious on what the wage gaps are in the same profession, such as politics, or media. Do some careers have smaller wage gaps then others? Are there some careers which pay both genders easily? Do women get paid more then men in some careers and vice versa?

All I want is the full picture. Is that unacceptable?

No, it's blatantly not, but what's the point euh? You're just going to counter my arguments! ...

You have to look at income as an average, because you can't individualise pay from person to person, or man to woman.

The more women there are in a particular profession (i.e nursing) the higher their pay rate. Same goes for men.

The article just explains, in great clarity I may add, that there is NO pay gap between men and women.
I know and that is a really sad thing. :frown: Men should get longer to spend with their kids...

On a positive not they are actually changing paternity leave so that men can have the option to share their wife's maternity leave. Or something similar if I recall correctly. A step in the right direction I think. Which will allow men to be more involved in the early years of their children's life and perhaps also take of some of the pressure on women to be the main or sole carer for the child.
Original post by xylas
To all your 'should' statements, says who?

It's partially based on how I was brought up- as my parents did equal amounts of house work and looking after the children (including me). Cooperation does work and it is fair. :smile: But I surely cannot be the only person to think that?
I know and that is a really sad thing. :frown: Men should get longer to spend with their kids...

It should be changed!

It's funny, whenever I bring this up with women who identify as feminists (I don't knwo whether you do or not) or don't actively rage against it they are mostly the ones who agree with me. Feminists seem to be more open to gender differences and more critical of them, including stuff that effects men negatively. Even though I don't agree with all of it feminists are not the evil man haters so many people on TSR make out. :rolleyes:
Original post by zippity.doodah
a perfect solution, assuming we're talking about marriage and paternity/maternity - if you're a true feminist, defined of course by equality, you#re agree with this:

Good ideas. I would also add a third requirement:

#3: Mandatory paternity testing of all children.

One of the fundamental inequalities between men and women throughout history is that women have always been certain that their baby is theirs - unlike men.
Original post by SophieSmall
On a positive not they are actually changing paternity leave so that men can have the option to share their wife's maternity leave. Or something similar if I recall correctly. A step in the right direction I think. Which will allow men to be more involved in the early years of their children's life and perhaps also take of some of the pressure on women to be the main or sole carer for the child.

I didn't know that. That's a good thing. :smile:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I didn't know that. That's a good thing. :smile:

I know! :smile: I was really happy when I found out, I'd been petitioning for it for years.
It should be changed!

It's funny, whenever I bring this up with women who identify as feminists (I don't knwo whether you do or not) or don't actively rage against it they are mostly the ones who agree with me. Feminists seem to be more open to gender differences and more critical of them, including stuff that effects men negatively. Even though I don't agree with all of it feminists are not the evil man haters so many people on TSR make out. :rolleyes:

I do identify as a feminist, and as a liberal person in general. I believe in fairness and equality for all. I believe that we should help those around us, no matter who they are. And not all feminists are man haters. Where did that myth come from anyway?
It's partially based on how I was brought up- as my parents did equal amounts of house work and looking after the children (including me). Cooperation does work and it is fair. :smile: But I surely cannot be the only person to think that?

That's pretty much what I think. Apart from the obvious stuff like women being the milk factories I don't think there is that much of a difference and there is no reason why stuff cant be shared between the man and the woman.
I do identify as a feminist, and as a liberal person in general. I believe in fairness and equality for all. I believe that we should help those around us, no matter who they are. And not all feminists are man haters. Where did that myth come from anyway?

I never agreed with that myth. Just TSR is full of it :tongue:
I know! :smile: I was really happy when I found out, I'd been petitioning for it for years.

So that's two women on this thread that care about stuff potentially effecting males unfairly. If only they would listen :tongue:
Original post by MarriageSucks
Good ideas. I would also add a third requirement:

#3: Mandatory paternity testing of all children.

One of the fundamental inequalities between men and women throughout history is that women have always been certain that their baby is theirs - unlike men.

I'd still say that parenthood, in the situation of a divorce/break up, should be based on competency; initially, without a prior context, it should be entirely join ownership/custody of the children 50/50. however, if one parent is more able to foster the child more successful (e.g. they have a job, or the economic means to father/mother the child successfully on their own) then they should have some priority. if there is a parent who is not contributing at all to the raising of the child, then they should have less custody, albeit not any more financial responsibilities than those which they had to begin with.

I do think, however, that the family courts in this country are hilariously biased against men having custody of children. which is why fathers 4 justice is a thing.
So that's two women on this thread that care about stuff potentially effecting males unfairly. If only they would listen :tongue:

They don't listen because then they would have to accept some of us women actually care. Sometimes people love to play the victim and like the whole world is out to get them, this goes for people of both genders though of course.
Capitalism has been ruling the entire world. So people always have choices.

I'm now not against feminism. Those feminists have the right to do any legal activity.

Kinda like a blue chip in stock markets,feminists are just a choice.

If you think it's not the safe investment, just put your money into other blue chips.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
I'm sorry but everything OP has said is 100% true. Women want equality but we need to understand equality DOESN'T equal justice. Men and women are very different creatures-psychologically,emotionally, physically etc. If you made a lion and a pig run a 100m race obviously the lion would win. Although you have established equality you haven't done justice. By competing with men we are doing ourselves absolutely no good. We have set men as our bar/standard to beat which is absolutely ridiculous. Women need to sit down and think about what's in their best interests.
Plus, even if equality was achieved between the genders I don't think most women would be able to handle and it just wouldn't fair on them because they're are just very different (but obvs not inferior) to men.
Reply 76
Original post by Noura*
I'm sorry but everything OP has said is 100% true. Women want equality but we need to understand equality DOESN'T equal justice. Men and women are very different creatures-psychologically,emotionally, physically etc. If you made a lion and a pig run a 100m race obviously the lion would win. Although you have established equality you haven't done justice. By competing with men we are doing ourselves absolutely no good. We have set men as our bar/standard to beat which is absolutely ridiculous. Women need to sit down and think about what's in their best interests.
Plus, even if equality was achieved between the genders I don't think most women would be able to handle and it just wouldn't fair on them because they're are just very different (but obvs not inferior) to men.

Well done, you deserve a whole bunch of +1 reps.
Reply 77
What you described there are unhealthy marriages with horrible women. I would never treat my future husband like that. Though I doubt I'll marry.

Feminazis must be cleansed from this earth. Are you a feminazi?
Original post by Gjaykay
There is a really really simple solution to fixing the pay gap.

Men and Women get equal pay & pa/materienty leave. Women get paid the same amount as men, and due to being equal, only get the standard 2 weeks off that males get in a bull**** sexist world.

OR

Men get paid less, and get to take the maximum amount of time off when they have a kid as women do.

It's not hard. You want equal pay, you get equal leave.

Any takers? :smile:

Fine by me mate; I just want equality.
Original post by The Juan
Feminazis must be cleansed from this earth. Are you a feminazi?

I doubt I am but to be on the safe side you should probably define feminazi.

Quick Reply

Latest