Anyone taking 6 AS/A levels?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
shopaholicjenni
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I dont think there is any one taking 6 AS/A levels. As taking 3 is stressfull enough :eek:.
At the moment i'm choosing the subjects i wish to study for Six-form but the problem is i'm not sure i wanna be, at the moment i'm spanding between the 2 eras one wich is maths/business and sicece.
I really dont know what i wanna do :confused: my head is banging
On the other hand i'm a bit worried when you apply for uni with 6 A-levels, they will not take you as taking 6 a-levels is absurd as average is 3/4

I appreicate everyones opinions, thoughts and experiences
LS.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What A-levels are you thinking of taking?

As it has been said before, taking 3/4 and getting great grades (A's & B's) is better than taking 6 and getting good grades (B's & C's)

Also, are you including general studies in that 6?
shopaholicjenni
Yes, it does include general studies

I'm thinking of taking Mathmatics, business stuides, psychology, chemistry and biology.
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I did, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, ICT, and General Studies, I wanted to do another but they would'nt let me :rolleyes:
shopaholicjenni
How come they didnt let you take another one? May i know what type of six-form you went to? (Privite/state, mix/single sex school)

I'm thinking of taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry and general studies
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by shopaholicjenni)
How come they didnt let you take another one? May i know what type of six-form you went to? (Privite/state, mix/single sex school)

I'm thinking of taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry and general studies
I went to what was the best sixth form in the country the other year according to the Guradian. Greenhead in huddersfield. It is a mixed sixth form who choose about 1/3 of their intake.
I'm unsure of why they would'nt let me take another, I think it was timetabling problems.
LS.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If I view General studies as an A-level, I'm taking 5; Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, and General studies.

You could probably manage it, depending on what you got/get for GCSE's.
shopaholicjenni
(Original post by Daveo)
I went to what was the best sixth form in the country the other year according to the Guradian. Greenhead in huddersfield. It is a mixed sixth form who choose about 1/3 of their intake.
I'm unsure of why they would'nt let me take another, I think it was timetabling problems.
wow! amazing
timetabling problems, i see
How did you cope taking 5 A-levels? Did you have much free time to yourself?
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
wow! amazing
timetabling problems, i see
How did you cope taking 5 A-levels? Did you have much free time to yourself?
Yeah I still had lots of free time and could have fit another A Level just fine but the only one I could do was French and as I hate languages I told them where to go.
Taking 5 A-Levels was easy for me and I didn't get typical all A*'s at GCSE.
shopaholicjenni
(Original post by LS.)
If I view General studies as an A-level, I'm taking 5; Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, and General studies.

You could probably manage it, depending on what you got/get for GCSE's.
Are you in your last year of six-form?
If i do manage to take 6 A-levels, wouldnt the uni. sees it as something bad?
LS.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Are you in your last year of six-form?
If i do manage to take 6 A-levels, wouldnt the uni. sees it as something bad?
Yes, I am at 6th form. We didnt have the option to do 6; although, I was told I could possibly do art in my free time If I wanted to (but I didn't)

I'm not sure if it would put you at a disadvantage, but I'm sure someone else here would. From what I've seen though, don't universities take your 3 highest grades (from the subjects they want for the course) and if you took a forth AS/A2 (exc. GS) they only required a pass?
shopaholicjenni
(Original post by Daveo)
Yeah I still had lots of free time and could have fit another A Level just fine but the only one I could do was French and as I hate languages I told them where to go.
Taking 5 A-Levels was easy for me and I didn't get typical all A*'s at GCSE.
May i know how long ago was this?
Any of your friends/ people you know in your six-form took 6 A-levels?
So in other words, it all depends on the time tabling and whether the college/six-form let you take on the 6th subjects right?
BazTheMoney
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I did 6 A-Levels (Maths, F. Maths, Economics, Physics, English literature and French) in the last year of the old A-Level, and even with the new AS/A2 system I would still strongly advice against taking anything more that 4. No university would ask you for more that 4 A2s, so unless you would really enjoy doing an extra subject, don't bother, you would get less out of it than you would put in.

Also, remember a lot of universities don't count General Studies, especially Oxbridge.
LS.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So in other words, it all depends on the time tabling and whether the college/six-form let you take on the 6th subjects right?
I think it mostly does, however, at my 6th form, you had to get more than 5 A*-C grades to 4 A-levels, and less, and you could only do three. (Somthing like that - but it was grade dependant)
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No university asks for more than three A2s and an AS, what's the point in doing loads more?
shopaholicjenni
(Original post by LS.)
Yes, I am at 6th form. We didnt have the option to do 6; although, I was told I could possibly do art in my free time If I wanted to (but I didn't)

I'm not sure if it would put you at a disadvantage, but I'm sure someone else here would. From what I've seen though, don't universities take your 3 highest grades (from the subjects they want for the course) and if you took a forth AS/A2 (exc. GS) they only required a pass?
I see, by taking 5 A-levels how many free periods do you have a week?
Someone else here would, you mean your sixth-form? or....

I'm not sure about universities taking your 3 best grades from the subjects they want for the couse.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
May i know how long ago was this?
Any of your friends/ people you know in your six-form took 6 A-levels?
it was a year ago, im now in my first year at uni.
I only know 1 person who took 6 A-Levels but he did well.
shopaholicjenni
(Original post by BazTheMoney)
I did 6 A-Levels (Maths, F. Maths, Economics, Physics, English literature and French) in the last year of the old A-Level, and even with the new AS/A2 system I would still strongly advice against taking anything more that 4. No university would ask you for more that 4 A2s, so unless you would really enjoy doing an extra subject, don't bother, you would get less out of it than you would put in.

Also, remember a lot of universities don't count General Studies, especially Oxbridge.
I understand what you are saying, what i dont understand is that most universities dont count gernal studies as an A-level how come there are still sixth-forms taking the subject.
After your A-levels, did you use all your a-levels within your job? or just 1/2?
shopaholicjenni
(Original post by LS.)
I think it mostly does, however, at my 6th form, you had to get more than 5 A*-C grades to 4 A-levels, and less, and you could only do three. (Somthing like that - but it was grade dependant)
I see.
Thank you for sharing your experience and ideas with me.
shopaholicjenni
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
No university asks for more than three A2s and an AS, what's the point in doing loads more?
probably for backs up,or they enjoy taking more than 3 subjects.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your firm and insurance uni choices yet?

Yes (116)
54.98%
Yes, but I want to swap them (16)
7.58%
No, but I know who I want to choose (19)
9%
No, I still don't know who I want to choose (50)
23.7%
I have decided I don't want to go to uni anymore and will not be choosing (10)
4.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed