Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why not take six ? It can't hurt to give it a go - if it doesn't work out you can just drop some. And I would advise some variety - you may be surprised at what you grow to like. At 16, I hated and despised maths. I thought it was the most ridiculously boring subject I had ever encountered. Do you know where I am now ? At university, reading maths . . . . (: A-Levels are a lot more interesting than GCSEs, you might discover that a subject you thought you weren't so fond of has some interesting stuff behind it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shopaholicjenni)
    You study at a privite school or? Chinese Ha, good choice, i did that with my chinese GCSE exam as well, only problem is that i cant write very well but i got a good grade in the end.
    Charterhouse Public School,it's a private one.You have studied Chinese before?You are brilliant!I think Chinese is really difficult for western people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etomac)
    i mean i m left with chinese
    btw my first language is chinese so that subject is plain useless for me
    I see, chinese is your first language,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    Don't take 6 courses, you should do a maxiumum of 4 (maybe 5?) if I were you.

Since you want to study things related to math, business, or science, your course structure could be something like this:

Business - Math, Business studies, 1 or 2 more of any subjects.
    Science - Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Math, 1 more subject of your choice
    Math - Math, and 3 more subjects of your choice
    Thanks for your advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielW3)
    Why not take six ? It can't hurt to give it a go - if it doesn't work out you can just drop some. And I would advise some variety - you may be surprised at what you grow to like. At 16, I hated and despised maths. I thought it was the most ridiculously boring subject I had ever encountered. Do you know where I am now ? At university, reading maths . . . . (: A-Levels are a lot more interesting than GCSEs, you might discover that a subject you thought you weren't so fond of has some interesting stuff behind it.
    The disadvantage of variety is that you can be studying the wrong courses. How many A/AS did you take?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinsisi)
    Charterhouse Public School,it's a private one.You have studied Chinese before?You are brilliant!I think Chinese is really difficult for western people.
    Charterhouse wheres that loccated? Yep i have, but my chiense is chinese is so $%$^&£"" HARD

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to do maths at University and I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Applied Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Russian A2s and Philosophy AS. After two years of that I don't think I would have picked differently if I were to go back. Still lots of free time and I wanted to do French AS in the second year, but wasn't allowed to. If you're up for it, then it's not a big deal. Just don't pick too many essay-based subjects.

ReputationRep:
    What about for chinese people learning chinese? hehe
    I am chinese but I can't speak it, write it or do anything with it. yeap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yannis)
    I'm going to do maths at University and I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Applied Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Russian A2s and Philosophy AS. After two years of that I don't think I would have picked differently if I were to go back. Still lots of free time and I wanted to do French AS in the second year, but wasn't allowed to. If you're up for it, then it's not a big deal. Just don't pick too many essay-based subjects.
    WOw! 3 types of maths!! OMG how did you find further maths? what is the difference between maths and F maths? Still loads of free time? Most of my friend been telling me that you dont wanna take go there, as its so stressful and you want have any free time to yourself.

Thanks, btw is F.maths essay-based subject? of same as normal maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asphyxiating)
    m.. good question. You cant speak? Have you been in Uk all your life?

ReputationRep:
    WOw! 3 types of maths!! OMG how did you find further maths? what is the difference between maths and F maths? Still loads of free time? Most of my friend been telling me that you dont wanna take go there, as its so stressful and you want have any free time to yourself.

Thanks, btw is F.maths essay-based subject? of same as normal maths?
    All maths A-levels come from the same thing. Basically, you have Pure, Mechanics, Statistics and Decision modules. IN Edexcel you have 6, 6, 6 and 2 modules accordingly. To get an A-level you need 6 (Inc P1-3?), to get Further Maths A-level you need 12 (Including P4-6) and 6 more for applied (obviously no pure). So no, it's not an essay-based subject if you don't conut the odd definition in stats as writing too much.

ReputationRep:
    Charterhouse wheres that loccated? Yep i have, but my chiense is chinese is so $%$^&£"" HARD
    Surrey

ReputationRep:
    Surrey
    I see, is it a mix school or single sex school? How long have you been studying there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asphyxiating)
    So you are a BBC(British Born Chinese)?Hehe~~Chinese history and culture are really interesting,mabe sometime you can go back China and comprehend them.

ReputationRep:
    I see, is it a mix school or single sex school? How long have you been studying there?
    Mix school,but only about 20% girls.Many years ago it's a boy school,I think Charterhouse is famous.I will study in it this Sep.

ReputationRep:
    So you are a BBC(British Born Chinese)?Hehe~~Chinese history and culture are really interesting,mabe sometime you can go back China and comprehend them.
    do you know how to write traditional chinese?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etomac)
    do you know how to write traditional chinese?
    You mean like the poems or articles written by people who lived thousands years ago or one kind of handwriting(繁体字)?I am good at both of them.

ReputationRep:
    Mix school,but only about 20% girls.Many years ago it's a boy school,I think Charterhouse is famous.I will study in it this Sep.
    So ite nearly a all boy school then. You might be right, i'm not sure

ReputationRep:
    You mean like the poems or articles written by people who lived thousands years ago or one kind of handwriting(繁体字)?I am good at both of them.
    hmm.. because i really hate simplified chinese.

ReputationRep:
    "The disadvantage of variety is that you can be studying the wrong courses."

I would suggest that the disadvantage of a lack of variety is that you may be taking the wrong courses. If one day you come to the conclusion, as I did, that you don't really like the study of what you had originally wanted to do (in my case English), then if all your A-levels are in a similar area you're pretty messed up as regards university choices.

I took 5 A-levels - in English, Economics, I.T., Maths and Further Maths.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.