The Student Room Group

I don't fit in with flatmates

Hey,

I'm in my 3rd year at uni. This year I wanted to live with one of my friends from 1st year and I didn't realise we would have a group application of 8 people.

Now I'm living in the flat I have realised it was the wrong decision. The 7 of them are so close with each other and I do not fit in. I try and make convo but it's just small talk or I get no response (from a few). I live in a flat of 10 so there are 2 international students who are hardly in and not in the loop. I don't know what to do. We have a whatsapp group with the 8 girls and I never talk - should I leave it? Or would it look bad?

They never really invite me out. And if they plan something they wouldn't go that extra mile to convince me to go like they'd do with one another. I feel so left out, I cry almost every night because of how lonely I feel in the flat. I've never felt like this before.

Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
If you leave the whatsapp group they may think you don't have any interest in communicating with them. Maybe start participating in the group chat so you seem interested in what they're saying.

You could also try organising something to do with your flatmates? It might be easier for you to try and form relationships just one to one with them before organising a group thing. You could simply offer someone to tag along with you to shopping trips or something by saying 'Hey_____ I'm popping to the shops, want to come with?' even if your invitation gets rejected keep trying... because they will notice that you're actively taking interest in them.

You could always find friends that aren't necessarily people you live with? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest