I do A-levels I wish I'd done IB
    6.13%
    Still Deciding
    12.27%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockin the universe)
    i hate A LEVELS. IB is much better
    Why do you hate A levels?

You clearly do the IB so how would you know what A levels are like??

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i have heard from other people abt A - Levels.. plus universities give a better recognition to the IB than the A - Levels. for example in the US, even for admissions in the UK thru UCAS.. IB's 38 points is equal to 3A's...

this proves that IB is way above A - Levels.. actually a- levels isn't that bad... they have a better subject course.. i mean they have to cover more portion but they have less burden as compared to IB students who have to do a lot of other work other than studying the 6 subjects.. internal assessments, tok essay, presentations, EE, CAS.. that's why IB is considered to be a more rigorous course than A - levels

ReputationRep:
    what is this International Baccalaureate qualification??
    how is it graded?? Is it like a A-level??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockin the universe)
    i have heard from other people abt A - Levels.. plus universities give a better recognition to the IB than the A - Levels. for example in the US, even for admissions in the UK thru UCAS.. IB's 38 points is equal to 3A's...
    this proves that IB is way above A - Levels.. actually a- levels isn't that bad... they have a better subject course.. i mean they have to cover more portion but they have less burden as compared to IB students who have to do a lot of other work other than studying the 6 subjects.. internal assessments, tok essay, presentations, EE, CAS.. that's why IB is considered to be a more rigorous course than A - levels
    That's not good...38 points requires waayy more dedication and hard work than getting 3 A's does...you're kinda disproving your own point there! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cathay)
    what is this International Baccalaureate qualification??
    how is it graded?? Is it like a A-level??
    see this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=313189

I'm not writing it all out again :p:

ReputationRep:
    or for a more accurate description....

Click!

ReputationRep:
    haha. or that, yes. Or from the God: www.ibo.org

ReputationRep:
    Just throwing a couple of pence in the bucket, but the results are bound to be a little... hmmm... bending towards the "I do IB and I'm pleased I did!". Perhaps, this thread should be moved out of the IB subforum and just placed in the exams forum instead?

ReputationRep:
    well i kinda tried both IB and A-levels... i did an As subject as extra on the side... and frankly i didn't feel that pressured by it, maybe cuz it was only 1 subject:p: but still it didn't have that much of a load on me. And my brother actually graduated with an A levels degree, the only good thing i can say about his school life was his social life:p:.

I personally enjoy the challenge that IB offers its students, although i'm not really enjoying the deadlines at the time being, i know in the end I'm the only one benefitting. And besides, think of it this way, uni is bound to be easier than this right? I mean all I'm thinking of right now is that it can't get any worse...

ReputationRep:
    at the moment im hating the IB, i hate deadlines! but when i first went into 6th form i wasnt sure wat i wanted to do at uni, so it was good for me to do loadsa subjects and find out which one i enjoyed most do i caould make the right desicion for uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danglenister)
    I'm a bit hesitant on voting here. I do IB and I love the fact that we are getting recognised now by UCAS and the unis.

However, I still have that nagging thought in my head of: "If I did A levels, I know I'd do better and I'd get into a good uni with less work".

BUT I will vote for "I do IB I'm pleased I did" because I know I'd be bored ****less if I did A levels - I get bored with one free period a week let alone having to stand having about 12 in a week like the A level people at my school
    WHAT?! The lucky little buggers! I'm doing A-levels, and I have 7 (!!!) periods of each A-level every week. No frees. It's like 3 sets of double periods, and one double period per week. It's sooo tiring - and gets repetitive. At least with IB, I had six varied subjects - while with A-levels...less. I don't know how people who choose all sciences/humanities can do it - I would die if I had 4-5 AS subjects of the same sort of nature. But maybe that's just me...

ReputationRep:
    Doing the IB. In my case it's kind of a love-hate thing. I love the IB in that I love the stimulating environment it creates, the people who do it, I love the fact that it's an open and interactive learning and thinking process and not just a "memorize this" type of education, and I love the opportunities that it'll bring me if I succeed. On the other hand, I also hate the IB in that I hate that I actually have to work (then again that's true of all education systems), I hate that I HAVE to take maths, and I hate that a lot of the Diploma depends on your personal drive and initiative.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiousity, one of my teachers at school kept ranting and raving about [yes, here it comes, another oxbridge reference..] how Oxford and Cambridge prefer IB students to A-Level students. Do you think this is true?

Also, as a lot of you are well into your courses, do you think it's impossible to get a solid 40 (roundabouts that mark) if you haven't got a bunch of A*s and As at GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikoletta)
    Just out of curiousity, one of my teachers at school kept ranting and raving about [yes, here it comes, another oxbridge reference..] how Oxford and Cambridge prefer IB students to A-Level students. Do you think this is true?
    Quite honestly I think no. In fact I think the complete opposite.

Also, as a lot of you are well into your courses, do you think it's impossible to get a solid 40 (roundabouts that mark) if you haven't got a bunch of A*s and As at GCSE?
    No. As long as you are good at the 6 subjects you do, you can get 40+.

ReputationRep:
    Quite honestly I think no. In fact I think the complete opposite.
    Fair enough. Do you have a paticular reason why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikoletta)
    Fair enough. Do you have a paticular reason why?
    Yes. I still don't think any uni understands the complexity of the IB so stick more with A level applicants from the UK. I stress from the UK because international applicants are judged differently in the applications process because often A levels aren't available to them.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I still don't think any uni understands the complexity of the IB so stick more with A level applicants from the UK. I stress from the UK because international applicants are judged differently in the applications process because often A levels aren't available to them.
    I can see where you're coming from there. I understand that they've changed the A-Level equivalent with 45 points quite a bit, so it could always change again, who knows.

It's ace to get a second opinion so thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

Currently in my first year of IB study and after a few months I'd say I'm glad I chose IB. I still get the thought of "Hmmm...maybe I should have done A-Levels", especially when I get a heavy workload one week, but I'm learning lots of new and interesting things and most of all am enjoying the courses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikoletta)
    I can see where you're coming from there. I understand that they've changed the A-Level equivalent with 45 points quite a bit, so it could always change again, who knows.

It's ace to get a second opinion so thanks!
    I think part of why oxbridge might appreciate A levels more because let us not forget it is the english system, and cambridge is one of the educational boards for A levels, so you can understand their bias...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Lc~)
    I think part of why oxbridge might appreciate A levels more because let us not forget it is the english system, and cambridge is one of the educational boards for A levels, so you can understand their bias...
    That's not correct. I talked to an admission tutor there and they fully respect how easy A levels are. They just don't appreciate how hard the IB is. ;yes;

If they thought A-levels were better then they wouldn't be pioneering a new exam system :p:

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.