Zenarthra
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
In linear programming, help me to understand what its used for please.
WHat do the linear equations represent in real life?
What are constraints?
What is the feasible region?
WHat is the objective function in real life and how can it be used to find a maximum or minimum value?

THanks!
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zenarthra)
In linear programming, help me to understand what its used for please.
WHat do the linear equations represent in real life?
What are constraints?
What is the feasible region?
WHat is the objective function in real life and how can it be used to find a maximum or minimum value?

THanks!
Dynamic programming is used when there is more than one adjustable variable in a situation and there are inequalities that the adjustable variable has to conform to and there is a separate objective variable that has to be maximised or minimised.

The variables can represent anything, usually numbers of stock etc.

The constraints are the inequalities that the adjustable variables must conform to.

The objective function is a function of the adjustable variables and is usually profit or cost etc.

The feasible region is the region that contains all possible solutions of the inequalities, but only one solution will be best. This solution is the point in the feasible region where the objective function is maximised or minimised.

The objective function will correspond to a line with a set gradient, but not a set intercept and the best solution is the one where this line has greatest or least intercept and still passes through the feasible region. The point where it passes through the feasible region gives you the values of the adjustable variables needed.

In practice, draw the inequality lines, then use a ruler with the gradient of the objective Lin and move it so that it passes through the feasible region, but it is closest or furthest from the origin.

It is much easier to do than it is to explain, so it's best to find example questions and worked solutions.

In real life(industry) there will be more than two adjustable variables. There are more advanced linear programming methods in D2.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (76)
63.33%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.67%

Watched Threads