Are all components in a circuit resistors?

Watch
Littleonezz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi

are all electric components in a circuit resistors? do they all have atoms that collide with electrons as current flows past?
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Littleonezz)
Hi

are all electric components in a circuit resistors? do they all have atoms that collide with electrons as current flows past?
Yes, but theoretically an ammeter has no resistance and superconductors have very little or no resistance.
In practice, everything has resistance.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Littleonezz)
Hi

In the sense of components on a circuit board: resistors, capacitors, inductors, semiconductors switches etc. Yes all of them have resistance because they all contain conductors (leads, interconnecting cables etc.) and inherently, where electrons move through the bulk material to perform their tasks, then they will collide with atoms and give up energy as a result.

Some devices exhibit less resistance to current flow than others. For instance, thermionic devices (thermionic valves or 'tubes' as the Americans like to call them) including Cathode Ray Tubes etc. operate by electrons flowing in a vacuum. Obviously there are a few residual gas atoms in the path of the electron current, but inherently and for practical purposes, they do not exhibit resistance in a measurable sense other than when the electrons flow through interconnecting conductors interfacing with other components.

Resistance can be eliminated by exploiting the property of superconductivity in some very esoteric materials. But these are very much the exception to the rule.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (72)
15.42%
Uncertainty around my education (79)
16.92%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (42)
8.99%
Isolating with family (28)
6%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (19)
4.07%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (38)
8.14%
Loneliness (46)
9.85%
Financial worries (16)
3.43%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (46)
9.85%
Exposure to negative news/social media (33)
7.07%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (48)
10.28%

Watched Threads