AS and A2 level at CIE Further Maths

Watch this thread
horia_brenciu
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I found past papers of Further Maths, but I didn't understand which are from AS and which are from A2 level... Is Paper 1 from AS level and Paper 2 from A2 level

And, by the way, I am a private candidate, do I have to take for Mathematics
Pure 1 and 2, Mechanics 1 and Statistics 1? I mean 4 tests and not 8?
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get more responses. Hopefully someone will be able to get back to you
javier.patria
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by horia_brenciu)
I found past papers of Further Maths, but I didn't understand which are from AS and which are from A2 level... Is Paper 1 from AS level and Paper 2 from A2 level

And, by the way, I am a private candidate, do I have to take for Mathematics
Pure 1 and 2, Mechanics 1 and Statistics 1? I mean 4 tests and not 8?
Hi there, well im taking fm through CIE as well, its basically just two papers - 1 for pure and 1 for stats & mechanics - taken at A level. It's not like edexcel or aqa where you can take AS further maths as well as later in a levels.

Paper 1 would be Pure stuff only, while Paper 2 would be a combination of the stats and mechanics module.

To your second question, i am taking the exam through my school however all studies are conducted privately by myself and my maths teacher (since the school doesnt provide the subject). So similarly, if you're gonna do fm you would have to be able to do P1,2&3, M1 and M2, S1 and S2, questions at your fingertips. Because basically fm starts off where a level maths ends. Then and only then should you consider doing further maths. and if you choose to, then you'll only need to do 2 papers, 3 hours each. you can learn more about the course from the syllabus at cambridge's website

oh yeah how are you going to study fm btw?

Hope this helps!
horia_brenciu
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Yeah, Thanks people!

I want to take both the FM and Maths in the same year in june 2015. I read the syllabus 6 days ago and I saw that there is no AS level at FM CIE.
They are quite difficult so I was thinking if I could take Edexcel, but I don't know how many exams do I have to take at Maths, and Further Maths (complete).
And what exams are part ofMaths and what are part of FM. Do I have to take all the modules? such as FP1, FP2, FP3 or just FP2 or FP3?

Thanks
javier.patria
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hi again,

My original plan was to go about the same way as you since its more progressive in edexcel than the jump at CIE; do my maths at CIE and then do FM at Edexcel. However i found this rather contradictory and complex as there are time clashes between my other CIE exams and with the Edexcel FM math exams. To add to that, the FM modules in Edexcel are pretty complicated cause they clash with your regular a level maths. Like FM1 and slightly 2 has stuff that you study already at A level CIE.

I thought about it and decided that i start studying it at my A2 year, whilst finishing up all my A and AS level maths during my time in AS. So far, im doing pretty good with this and nearly done with the A2 syllabus and the rest of the modules needed for FM.

So my advice for you is to take CIE at FM , because the whole point of taking FM is because you like being challenged and you enjoy Maths a lot more than most people. IF you are in AS currently, you have so much time to learn it and its highly doable to get a good grade at FM (depending on your skill+dedication). IF you are already at A level and its your last year, then it'll take a **** ton of self motivation and hard work but a lot of people have done it already.

If there's a will, there's a way :cool:
javier.patria
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
However, if you do still want to take Edexcel FM, all the info you need is in the syllabus i read it and it had stated the modules needed for the qualifications. I suggest you read it there for better clarity, but ill write it here as well.

To be awarded a certificate on FM AS level for edexcel the compulsory unit is FP1 and 2 other units e.g. FP2, M2 ( for the optional units, you dont have to but i strongly advice taking anything higher than M1,S1,D1 cause they're already in your regular as levels.

TO be awarded a certificate on FM A Level for edexcel, you can go two ways. the 1st is to a compulsory of FP1,FP2,FP3 and 3 optional modules that you havent done at AS (if you did so). 2nd way is to take FP1, FP2 or FP3, and 4 optional modules. both add up to 6 modules.
waqasabbasi
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hey, I have already done CIE AS Maths (P1,M1) and will take A Level Maths (P3,S1) in June 2016. Am I eligible for Edexcel FM AS without studying Edexcel core modules?

Also, if I take FM1,M1,S1 of Edexcel will I get a FM certificate (considering I have already done M1,S1 in CIE)?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (263)
42.56%
The paper was reasonable (257)
41.59%
Not feeling great about that exam... (53)
8.58%
It was TERRIBLE (45)
7.28%

Watched Threads