Amzzyy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
For those of you who got accepted to study economics at a Russell group university, what a levels did you do?
Amzzyy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Or those who hope to study it
joddcfc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There have been similar discussions about this at these links

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3028975
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3039205
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3039159
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well I've applied this year (I'm in year 13) and had 2 offers from RG unis for economics and am waiting to hear back from my other 3 unis (also RG). I did Maths, Physics, Economics, Geography, EPQ and General studies at AS. I am taking Maths, Economics and Geography at A2.
fudgecake22
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Uni of Liverpool accepts General studies as 1 A level

Posted from TSR Mobile
AidenLloydJepsen
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Amzzyy)
For those of you who got accepted to study economics at a Russell group university, what a levels did you do?
Hey, I hope to study at a top 5 uni for economics;

My A levels are:

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
History
Geography

In my opinion, the best A levels to take are:

Maths - required for any (decent) economics degree
Further Maths - required/ preferred by top unis and reiterates mathematical competency
Economics - shows and interest and understanding of basic economic principles.
Language/ History - shows essay competency and the proficiency to debate/ relate to real world problems

Economics is a mix of both essay and mathematical components - which is why I like it - and thus is why I'd chose languages or history over a science.

Make sure you also do extra-reading: The Economist and The Financial times are good for topics focused on economic problems - the Independent, I find, is good for general news stories.

By the way, I chose to do geography as a fifth because my college is a little awkward with its timetable. But nonetheless, gwography relates very well to economics, especially the human units.

Best of luck, anyway
ETRC
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
applied for maths and econ
did NOT do economics A-level because i don't think i'll learn much from it that i can't just read about from internet
im doing maths/further maths/physics and chem
now in year 13
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jake4198)
Further Maths - required/ preferred by top unis and reiterates mathematical competency
Well it's required by Cambridge and LSE.
I wouldn't worry too much about taking further maths tbh. Unless you ahve your heart set on either of the above two Unis.

Durham's site "If an applicant is taking Mathematics and Further Mathematics, a further two subjects must be taken at A2-level." So in some institutions it is seen as too similar to Maths which can require you to take another A level to apply there!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (287)
55.73%
I don't have everything I need (228)
44.27%

Watched Threads