The Student Room Group

Question about UCAS application

Hello. I've already sent my application and have got one conditional offer out of five so far when applying. I am now having doubts about my application. I have applied to computer science but I feel passion doesn't lay in computer science but another un-related area to it, film and media. My initial idea was to apply for film and media, but I felt computer science at the time was for me. I was wondering, is there anyway around this or will I have to withdraw my application and wait a year to reapply?

I am sorry for the dumb question :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi,

Unis often let you change the course if there is no big difference,for example I switched from maths to engineering without any additional requirements,but considering that the courses you want to swap are not exactly in the same area,they may ask for a new personal statement or w/e.

Just take some time and decide what you really wanna do and then if you still feel that you should study something else instead of computer science,email the uni.You have nothing to lose.

Good luck ^_^
Reply 2
Original post by laur21
Hi,

Unis often let you change the course if there is no big difference,for example I switched from maths to engineering without any additional requirements,but considering that the courses you want to swap are not exactly in the same area,they may ask for a new personal statement or w/e.

Just take some time and decide what you really wanna do and then if you still feel that you should study something else instead of computer science,email the uni.You have nothing to lose.

Good luck ^_^

I've had the past few weeks to really decide and I feel film & media is more for me than CS.

How would I change the course, will I need to email or phone them up and make sure they will allow it? (The university is a good media uni, but CS isn't as high, so I can't be sure if they'll accept me for film & media)

I'm okay for writing a new PS if need be. I heard in Extra you can add choices for new subject choices (but may also require a new PS), but that's only if a course is in extra. Can anyone elaborate or confirm on this?

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 3
Alright..I'm a foreigner and atm I'm not studying in the U.K,but I was very close(financial problems )..I'll try to explain,but what I say might be wrong.

You have to ask each university by email/phone and if you must write a new personal statement or w/e.They aren't allowed to cancel your offers for CS,so I guess you're safe and you have nothing to lose.
**Bear in mind that for media and film they may ask for a portofolio,are you able to provide that ?

Extra

You are able to use extra only when you have NO OFFERS (or you cancel all your offers),play safe and don't wait for extra/clearing.

More info :
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/universities/applying-to-university/ucas-extra/
http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/undergraduate/tracking-your-application/adding-extra-choices

Glad to help :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by laur21
Alright..I'm a foreigner and atm I'm not studying in the U.K,but I was very close(financial problems )..I'll try to explain,but what I say might be wrong.

You have to ask each university by email/phone and if you must write a new personal statement or w/e.They aren't allowed to cancel your offers for CS,so I guess you're safe and you have nothing to lose.
**Bear in mind that for media and film they may ask for a portofolio,are you able to provide that ?

Extra

You are able to use extra only when you have NO OFFERS (or you cancel all your offers),play safe and don't wait for extra/clearing.

More info :
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/universities/applying-to-university/ucas-extra/
http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/undergraduate/tracking-your-application/adding-extra-choices

Glad to help :smile:

Thanks a lot. I do have a portfolio!

Again, thank you, has helped a lot
Reply 5
Yup, contact the unis you've applied to and see if you can change.

It's a good idea to think about a new personal statement, as it forces you to think about why you want to study media. You can't add a new PS on ucas, but can offer to email one to unis directly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending