The Student Room Group

Is London Safe?

Okay, that's probably a question You have seen a lot of times.
Is London Safe?
I'm coming next year and I'm a little bit worried. I come to London every year, but as a tourist is a little bit different as you can book a B&B in Holborn or Covent Garden area.I live in a very very safe city in Northern Italy (my mother was born in London). I don't remember rapes and homicides this year over here. So I read about homicides, stabbings and rapes almost everyday in London. According to some statistics every 50 minutes there's a person stabbed. Over 4k rapes a year (more than whole Italy!) committed by 66% by black people (that's strange).
I'm going (probably) to Islington, Holloway Road area. Is it good?
Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
London has less than 100 murders a year which is quite low. Most murders are between drug gangs so it best to avoid getting involved with drugs.

The murder rate in Italy is 0.9 per 100,000, the UK is 1.0 per 100,000 so Britain much more dangerous.
(edited 9 years ago)
First of all: I wouldn't trust your statistics. Source?

Second of all: Compared to a small village in Northern Italy, is London unsafe? Yes. Is it simply a centre for crime? No. However, it's a city. All cities have crime; London is safer than some and less safe than others. Be sensible - don't be out alone in the early hours of the morning; don't make yourself an easy target for pickpockets; don't get caught up with certain people, and watch yourself in certain areas and it's fine.

Millions of people live in and commute to London every single day. Plenty of people never experience crime, others will be a victim of it. I really wouldn't worry about it. Just be sensible and you'll be absolutely fine. I don't live in London, but near enough to travel to it easily, and I've never had any problem either alone or in a group. London is really quite a pleasant city.
Reply 3
Original post by Maker
London has less than 100 murders a year which is quite low. Most murders are between drug gangs so it best to avoid getting involved with drugs.

The murder rate in Italy is 0.9 per 100,000, the UK is 1.0 per 100,000 so Britain much more dangerous.

Thanks :smile: I'm still a little bit worried. I know that there are bad areas like Brixton or West Ham. This is what i've been told.
Reply 4
Original post by perflous
First of all: I wouldn't trust your statistics. Source?

Second of all: Compared to a small village in Northern Italy, is London unsafe? Yes. Is it simply a centre for crime? No. However, it's a city. All cities have crime; London is safer than some and less safe than others. Be sensible - don't be out alone in the early hours of the morning; don't make yourself an easy target for pickpockets; don't get caught up with certain people, and watch yourself in certain areas and it's fine.

Millions of people live in and commute to London every single day. Plenty of people never experience crime, others will be a victim of it. I really wouldn't worry about it. Just be sensible and you'll be absolutely fine. I don't live in London, but near enough to travel to it easily, and I've never had any problem either alone or in a group. London is really quite a pleasant city.

Thanks.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/may/13/ukcrime.boris "Nevertheless, that still amounts to a knife-related incident every 52 minutes. "

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/london-crime-falls-overall-as-rape-reports-rise-new-figures-show-9274930.html
"There was also a 31 per cent jump in the number of rapes reported in London 4,170 in the last year, compared to 3,168 over the previous 12 months."
Reply 5
It honestly depends on where you are living... in general, I wouldn't say it's so unsafe that you would be scared to go outside or anything. There are areas that are basically the safest places I've ever been, but others that are pretty bad (as in you wouldn't even want to bring your phone outside incase you got mugged), but idk it's not that bad tbh

As far as I know, Islington is pretty safe :smile: I even hear people talking about how nice an area it is sometimes, although I've never been there myself.
(edited 9 years ago)
Avoid east and south London.

I'm currently staying over with my extended family in west london and that's quite safe. Just do not do anything stupid and you'll be fine
Reply 7
Cue people to bring up 'chavs'.

It'll be safe enough if you have the right attitude. However, if you carry the attitude that a lot have on here (the feeling they are superior to others and acting as if anyone that wears Nike trainers or lives in a council house is some violent thug) then it probably won't be safe.
Original post by lamboasis
Okay, that's probably a question You have seen a lot of times.
Is London Safe?
I'm coming next year and I'm a little bit worried. I come to London every year, but as a tourist is a little bit different as you can book a B&B in Holborn or Covent Garden area.I live in a very very safe city in Northern Italy (my mother was born in London). I don't remember rapes and homicides this year over here. So I read about homicides, stabbings and rapes almost everyday in London. According to some statistics every 50 minutes there's a person stabbed. Over 4k rapes a year (more than whole Italy!) committed by 66% by black people (that's strange).
I'm going (probably) to Islington, Holloway Road area. Is it good?
Cheers

There are no BAD areas. Most places have their fair share of good and bad. You are unlikely to be raped or stabbed ect. Most rapes and stabbings aren't completely random. Islington and holloway road are decent areas
Reply 9
London is not safe at all espically Peckham, Brixton and Hackney, go to other places like birmingham or southampton.. anyhere outside of london is safer imo
Reply 10
Original post by Infectious
Don't be a pussy, getting stabbed feels awesome, sometimes.

rah.. this can't be seen as a joke
Original post by O.Ozz
London is not safe at all espically Peckham, Brixton and Hackney, go to other places like birmingham or southampton.. anyhere outside of london is safer imo

Anyone that lives in London knows those areas have been subject to gentrification and you'll actually find the most amazing markets in Hackney and lovely cafes/ restaurants in brixton.
As I said before there aren't really any BAD areas of London.
If you had to avoid an area it should be barking and all of newham apart from stratford simply because there's nothing of interest there. Lewisham and Deptford are pretty rubbish too
(edited 9 years ago)
Stay out of the East London :smile:
There are other cities in the UK that are more dangerous. However, still keep safe as robbings, pickpocket and physical assaults are relatively common throughout the city.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by O.Ozz
rah.. this can't be seen as a joke

It can if you wear Google Glasses.
Original post by SpeedyGonzalez
Bull**** statistics 66% of rape by black people? Where'd you get that from? Britain First?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This

Is today make up stats day op?

I don't believe that 13% of the population (only 3% of England's population and only tiny number are criminals) is responsible for 66% of rapes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SpeedyGonzalez
Bull**** statistics 66% of rape by black people? Where'd you get that from? Britain First?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Gambit92
This

Is today make up stats day op?

I don't believe that 13% of the population (only 3% of England's population and only tiny number are criminals) is responsible for 66% of rapes.

We tracked down 29 cases, from January 2006 to March 2009, in which a total of 92 young people were convicted of involvement in gang rape.
One fact stood out. Of those convicted, 66 were black or mixed race, 13 were white and the remainder were from other countries including Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya.

- The Independent
Original post by therapiststeve
We tracked down 29 cases, from January 2006 to March 2009, in which a total of 92 young people were convicted of involvement in gang rape.
One fact stood out. Of those convicted, 66 were black or mixed race, 13 were white and the remainder were from other countries including Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya.

- The Independent

Very strong user name

so 29 cases in 3 years and 66% of them were black or mixed race (mixed race people are black now?)

Op said "Over 4k rapes a year (more than whole Italy!) committed by 66% by black people (that's strange)."

Show me the stats that show black people are responsible for 66% of rapes in London.
Original post by Gambit92
Very strong user name

so 29 cases in 3 years and 66% of them were black or mixed race (mixed race people are black now?)

Op said "Over 4k rapes a year (more than whole Italy!) committed by 66% by black people (that's strange)."

Show me the stats that show black people are responsible for 66% of rapes in London.

Bruh
Original post by lamboasis
. Over 4k rapes a year (more than whole Italy!) committed by 66% by black people (that's strange).
s

Lol. This is obviously a troll.

Only 4K rapes in Italy with a population of 60 million is nonsense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending