Staying at home whilst at University Watch

This discussion is closed.
leona
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm sure it varies for different people but I've found that the friends I've made are the ones I'm living in halls with. Its so much easier because you're all just thrown together and theres always someone else there to chat to, day or night. I looove living in halls and theres no way I would live at home for university.I've had 18 years of that. Christ I'd be so bored. Definitely try and stay in halls if you can, in my opinion they are one of the most important parts of university life and just alot of FUN! And dont worry about the work, everyone else seems to manage it. I am also a very easily distracted person but I know when I gotta work so I just get on with it.
Sithius
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by DaveLawStuuuudent06)
What a stupid post^! The debt obtained from university is hardly a laughing matter. Some people do not take debt serious enough. Universities are educational institutions, your there for a degree. Obviously social side is important but in my eyes my education comes first. I commute 5 minutes on train to uni, ive had no problems at all. At home i get great meals for free and a big house. Halls does look fun and im sure it is! But for an outgoing person like myself, the social difference really cannot be great enough to be worth thousands of pounds extra.
wtf? i didn't say it was a laughing matter so zip it.

Also, I said it isn't JUST about the degree, so I am including it not discarding it.
Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by DaveLawStuuuudent06)
What a stupid post^! The debt obtained from university is hardly a laughing matter. Some people do not take debt serious enough. Universities are educational institutions, your there for a degree. Obviously social side is important but in my eyes my education comes first. I commute 5 minutes on train to uni, ive had no problems at all. At home i get great meals for free and a big house. Halls does look fun and im sure it is! But for an outgoing person like myself, the social difference really cannot be great enough to be worth thousands of pounds extra.
Well said.
jointhedots
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm thinking of staying at home whilst at university as it's cheaper and I would be a lot more motivated to work :p:
I don't think that saying you'd be more motivated to work at home is a good reason to be honest. Myself and most of my friends only have around 8-12 contact hours a week; if you don't think that you can motivate yourself to do a bit extra around that, God help you when you have to do a 40 hour working week...
jbfergie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes it would have been nice to move away from home but the debt is simply not worth it. Four years (four year degree) away from home would mean an awful lot of extra debt. The way i see it is the money saved will mean i will be able to move away from home sooner once i graduate. £12000 is a bad enough debt to graduate with but i would be easily doubling that if i was to live away from home. Simply a financial decision.

If as has been stated previously uni marks the beginning of adult life then i think i have made the proper adult decision and i won't be needing the services of those crooks on tv who will take 'care' of your huge debts.
naddles
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Living at home doesnt mean you're cut off socially!!! But it can be annoying getting home after a night out, my friends can just walk to their halls while I've got to find my way home....which can be a challenge after you're totally hammered and its like 4am in the morning:p:
Happy1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
thing is, people will never be able to give you a proper answer on this becaus etheyre all biased.

Personally, i wold have lived at home if i could have, as I miss my boyfriend like mad, and id lived with him for a year anyway. Also, it woudl have saved me so much money, which i could have been saving for something.... i mean how often does a no-interest loan with tiny repayments based on income come your way, even if it is less because you live at home.

I love living at uni, its really amazing, but there will always be someone missing for me... i know that i would still choose home for Paul and Paul alone - i loved every minute of living with him for over a year. I dont want any dissenting comments on that thanks.. its what i'd do... and i stick by it.
Happy1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jbfergie)
i won't be needing the services of those crooks on tv who will take 'care' of your huge debts.
er neither will we. the repayments are based on income and theyre hardly huge. the max repayment is under £20 a week and thats based on an income of over £50k
Platinum Mech
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Even if you live at home, I think you can still have a decent social life as long as a) your home isn't too far away from the university, and b) you really get involved in clubs and other extra-curricular activities. There's a difference between someone who lives at home but chooses to really get involved, and someone who really just treats uni like school.
jointhedots
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by SplidgeSplodge)
I love living at uni, its really amazing, but there will always be someone missing for me... i know that i would still choose home for Paul and Paul alone - i loved every minute of living with him for over a year. I dont want any dissenting comments on that thanks.. its what i'd do... and i stick by it.
Living with a boyfriend and supporting yourself (presumably) is somewhat different from living with your parents though.
DaveLawStuuuudent06
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Platinum Mech)
Even if you live at home, I think you can still have a decent social life as long as a) your home isn't too far away from the university, and b) you really get involved in clubs and other extra-curricular activities. There's a difference between someone who lives at home but chooses to really get involved, and someone who really just treats uni like school.
Agreed
jbfergie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by SplidgeSplodge)
er neither will we. the repayments are based on income and theyre hardly huge. the max repayment is under £20 a week and thats based on an income of over £50k
That an with any other debts you may acquire along the way will hardly be easy to repay. I don't want a huge debt hanging over me for the rest of my life. A £30K debt will mean a fairly large amount of interest has to be paid.
EKO
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm currently living at home (5 miles from Uni), but only until my loan comes through, then I'm hoping to find a decent flat.
tortured
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm living at home, about 45 minutes away by train and bus, and I'm regretting not going in halls =/
rottcodd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm thinking of staying at home whilst at university as it's cheaper and I would be a lot more motivated to work :p: . Just wondering if it would be harder to make good friends at university if I stayed at home?

Any experiences from people who lived at home whilst a university or heard from anyone? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks
As long as you've got your reasons for staying at home, and you've thought about it long and hard, then stay at home! Yes, it is difficult to make friends - especially in the first few weeks when you don't really know anyone. I remember feeling pretty crap the first few weeks because during freshers week everyone is in this insane mood when they must absolutely get along with everyone they meet. The advantage you have commuting is that you can sit back a bit, then settle in with a group of friends you genuinely get on with. It does take a bit of getting used to though. Everyone says you get out of uni what you put into it - if you want an amazing social life then you're gonna have to work hard to get one, crash at friends houses and stuff like that, but if you're prepared to put in the effort then you'll get what you want. I think though, it is a bit easier to sit back and let the social side of things slip away from you if you commute. It just depends how much you want it.

Also think about the length of your commute - I have the worlds most horrendous commute (wake up before the sun has risen, 3 mile cycle ride, half hour train journey, one hour bus journey, 10 minute walk), so you have to be pretty motivated and committed to keep it up.

Always remember as well that at most unis people tend to move out from campus accomodation and move out into off-campus accomodation in the second year. You could always commute in the first year, and if you find that it gets a bit tedious commuting up each day you can always move out then. It's nice having the option.

People say that you get certain 'life experiences' from living at uni which you won't get at home - whilst that's true, you can gain those life experiences in other ways. You just need to make an extra special effort. Get a part time job, put in loads of hours over christmas, save up money and go travelling or something in your uni holidays. Get a volunteering job during the week. Still join societies at uni and get involved. Do something a bit different. As long as you can justify why you are commuting it can be a positive experience in a job interview.

This all depends on your parent-situation though. Mine have progressively hacked me off further and further as the years have gone by, so you need to think about that.

ta da!
_jo_
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
im doin the opposite i am living in hall in the first year to make friend and have a good first year, then commutting the second year to save money and seein which one i like the best for the third year. I think you have to consider the type of course your on as well because my course is 21 hours a week it is worth paying 3k for accomadation because i need to be here all week but i know some ppl who live here and only have 3 days(6 hours) of lessons so they would of saved a lot of money if they commuted.
hugsnkisses
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What course are you wanting to do? I would check with the uni to see how many contact hours you will have. I have stayed at home and am glad, i only have 9contact hours but that has beencut to boout7-8. I don't belive an extra 3000 is worth 8hours a week of lectures.

80% of my course lives at home so im not missing any thing. We arrange meeting we have a disscusion board that we are always talking on.

It depends how far away the uni is too, alot of people on my course live in sheffield so it doesn't really warrant moving out. I myself live in Doncaster so have to commute but it doesn't bother me. I was really worried when i first started because i read losts of posts like this one, however it has worked out really well.

My course has about 30people on my english part and 85 on my education part so we have all got to know each other really well, but if you are on a course that has 200 people on you might find it a bit daunting.

Sorry for the long reply.
Arminius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yeh, i mean different at different unis. if 80% live at home then thats just the norm, whereas at my uni if you live at home you are 1/100 and miss out on alot just cause of being in such an unusualy position.
arkbar
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It depends entirely on what course you want to do and which university you want to attend. I have a friend who commuted from Essex to RHUL, which seemed absolutely ridiculous to me but he seemed to be OK with it. However, I do know of some people who lived at home and absolutely despised it.
HerRoyalHighness
Badges:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by misslibby)
Living with a boyfriend and supporting yourself (presumably) is somewhat different from living with your parents though.
totally, i do it now. Its very difficult having no parents to fall back on. Thank god, for the maintenance loan to pay the rent.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.82%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (223)
40.55%
Nope, not that interesting (218)
39.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed