Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im living at home and i travel all together it takes less 30 mins to get there.

Advantages:
    It cheaper.
    Home comforts.
    You no the area & close to your friends/family
    Less distracted so u do work even tho i still come on TSR alot! oops.

Disadvatages:
    It can be annoying travel back & forth when you might just have an 1 hour lecture.
    Meeting friends is harder but if you really try its o.k (sometimes people like to stick with flatmates)
    Miss out of the halls experience!( but saying that its very overrated it first i was annoyed it would miss this but now 5 weeks in the course visiting my friends in her halls it kinda boring, like i expected to hear people in halls saying oh last night was so good or that was so fun etc but i dont.)

It really just a personal choice just do whats right for you.

ReputationRep:
    Just like to point out that those in my year group at school who came across as the most confident (and who aren't exactly financially lacking) are the ones who are staying at home, and deliberately applied to unis in the area(s) close to their homes... whereas certain people - me included - who would perhaps be more comfortable at or nearer home have gone the whole way with moving into halls, etc, etc! A bit of an irony for you

I've not been at uni long, but one thing you have to learn to do is to move on and away if at all possible. I'd be lying if I said it was an easy thing to do, especially if your home is a few hours drive or train ride away. Absolutely fair enough if genuine reasons are preventing you from moving away from home, but if you have the opportunity, take it: it helps you to develop as a person, and become that bit more independent. If you hate living away after a term or so, then move back; it's much harder to do vice versa.....

ReputationRep:
    I live at home and it is not easy commuting. The amount the want students to pay for residence is ridiculous. It is harder to make friends when you have to catch the last bus home @ 10:30. What the hell man. So I do not recommend living at home. If you have the money to live on res, GO!

Christian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbfergie)
    That an with any other debts you may acquire along the way will hardly be easy to repay. I don't want a huge debt hanging over me for the rest of my life. A £30K debt will mean a fairly large amount of interest has to be paid.
    Other debts? Like what? i dont see how i could possibly incur any more debt than you, other than the money it costs me for my accommodation and for food. Most students will leave with their loan debt and that's it. No other debts. Only the stupid ones will have credit card debts and such like... and that's hardly got anything tod o with living away from home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel)
    I am in the same position as you except that I have chosen to carry on living with my boyfriend while at uni. I've lived with him for almost a year and a half now and for me, moving out just wasn't an option. As someone said, it's obviously very different from living with parents through university, which is something I'd never do (would drive me insane with my younger siblings!). I don't feel I'm missing out by this arrangement, I've made lots of friends at university and my boyfriend is very understanding when I can't spend much time with him.

And seeing my friends' halls, particularly the toilet and kitchen facilities, makes me very glad that I still have a little haven of my own which I know is clean Not to mention that I'm saving a fortune by not living at uni, which means that my considerable gap year savings are accumulating interest and I won't have much debt by the time I'm done. Which will obviously help with the whole property ladder thing.
    How are you paying rent and bills on the place you live with your boyfriend then?

ReputationRep:
    Here in Mexico, you don't have options. As far as I know (which includes the reknown universities) none of them have such things as colleges or halls, not even the most expensive ones. We all have to go back to our homes, even if it's 3 hours away .
    The halls might be a thrilling experience to learn live on your own, away from your parents and meet people, I guess.
    But in my experience living at home doesn't necessarily mean you're becoming an hermit! we use to socialize after lectures and we might even go out on weekends. It a question of finding the time to hang around with people, even if you live at halls.

ReputationRep:
    i would never opt to live at home. Uni is not just about the degree its about growing up and becoming an adult.

if your not going to move out for uni when are u going to movre out

ReputationRep:
    I'm living with my mom's relations here in London- it's cheaper for me- I have a nice big room and they are very nice, supportive and helpful without getting into my business- you have to make an effort socially in any case. The ride up and back is a drag, quite tiring, but it's no more than many people do for work in any case, part of living in London.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation- i'm gonna go to university next year to study geog but it is between going to birmingham or maybe exeter or going to my local university- gloucestershire. I still can't decide. To get to my local uni it takes about 15-20 mins on the bus (which only comes every half hour) and then about a 10 min walk from town to the university or just over 1 hour to walk there! The thing is, is that my parents would prefer me to going to the local uni as i will save thousands of pounds and that i know i wont have any distractions. However on the other hand, i feel that i might be missing out on the real uni life e.g. staying in halls, being more independent so that it will be useful for when i am older and feel that it would be more harder to make friends as it can take time for me to make friends. Also birmingham and exeter have a better repuation for their geography department.
    Argh! its such a tough decision do people think that its worth me to have the huge debt when i finish my degree or should i just go to my local university and save the thousands of pounds?? Atm i am thinking of putting either b'ham or exeter as firm and then glos as insurance after i get my offers but i'm not totally sure?? Any suggestions would be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz23)
    I'm in the same situation- i'm gonna go to university next year to study geog but it is between going to birmingham or maybe exeter or going to my local university- gloucestershire. I still can't decide. To get to my local uni it takes about 15-20 mins on the bus (which only comes every half hour) and then about a 10 min walk from town to the university or just over 1 hour to walk there! The thing is, is that my parents would prefer me to going to the local uni as i will save thousands of pounds and that i know i wont have any distractions. However on the other hand, i feel that i might be missing out on the real uni life e.g. staying in halls, being more independent so that it will be useful for when i am older and feel that it would be more harder to make friends as it can take time for me to make friends. Also birmingham and exeter have a better repuation for their geography department.
    Argh! its such a tough decision do people think that its worth me to have the huge debt when i finish my degree or should i just go to my local university and save the thousands of pounds?? Atm i am thinking of putting either b'ham or exeter as firm and then glos as insurance after i get my offers but i'm not totally sure?? Any suggestions would be great.

Thank goood im not the only one who is in this situation. My 3 Universities i'd like to go to are 1) Huddersfield 2)Northumbria 3) Sunderland
    I am local to sunderland and northumbria, as im based in Newcastle. I have a great job here which I could keep if I stayed local, and obviously I would live at home. Howwweveerrr!! I would love to move away to Uni, I want a new bunch of friends, I want independance, and a fresh new experience!! I've lived here for 18 years nothing has really stood out for me here.
    I'm just scared incase I get myself into alot of debt whilst im away.
    If I stay local I will regret it...I know i will... help! gggggr!
    The family want me to stay which doesnt help either, the boyfriend wants me to stay too. But this is about me! xWhat do you guys suggest. Please help me out here.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, if money is your only concern and you'd actually rather move away, then to hell with it. Now is the least-worst time in your life to get into debt. Hundreds of thousands of other people will be in the same situation as you with the same amount of debt. That's not to say you shouldn't worry about it, but it shouldn't completely put you off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leaaa)
    Thank goood im not the only one who is in this situation. My 3 Universities i'd like to go to are 1) Huddersfield 2)Northumbria 3) Sunderland
    I am local to sunderland and northumbria, as im based in Newcastle. I have a great job here which I could keep if I stayed local, and obviously I would live at home. Howwweveerrr!! I would love to move away to Uni, I want a new bunch of friends, I want independance, and a fresh new experience!! I've lived here for 18 years nothing has really stood out for me here.
    I'm just scared incase I get myself into alot of debt whilst im away.
    If I stay local I will regret it...I know i will... help! gggggr!
    The family want me to stay which doesnt help either, the boyfriend wants me to stay too. But this is about me! xWhat do you guys suggest. Please help me out here.
    He he, I'm from Newcastle Upon Tyne too and want to go to Durham,Northumbria or Sunderland uni which are the closer ones... The one I live the closest to is Northumbria, it's only 5 minutes on bus. The other three unis are quite far. And I love Newcastle and have lots of friends at the mo however, I'm worried I might not be able to make much friends whilst I'm at uni due to living at home...I'm still stuck at the decision of staying at home or not...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sezkin)
    He he, I'm from Newcastle Upon Tyne too and want to go to Durham,Northumbria or Sunderland uni which are the closer ones... The one I live the closest to is Northumbria, it's only 5 minutes on bus. The other three unis are quite far. And I love Newcastle and have lots of friends at the mo however, I'm worried I might not be able to make much friends whilst I'm at uni due to living at home...I'm still stuck at the decision of staying at home or not...
    If you, leave. Its better in so many ways. I realise the finance can be scary but.... most people i've (personally) met that live at home don't seem very happy with there lives.

The only time i think living at home would be ok is if you live within a short bus hope from uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zebedee)
    If you, leave. Its better in so many ways. I realise the finance can be scary but.... most people i've (personally) met that live at home don't seem very happy with there lives.

The only time i think living at home would be ok is if you live within a short bus hope from uni.

=]
    i do like newcastle i must admit the night life is cool!
    But i guess it's just a case of taking a risk.. and doing what I feel is best. But im not sure what that is haha Im such a nuisance

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, it's a personal decision. Whether it's right will depend on what you think you would personally prefer, and benefit from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platinum Mech)
    At the end of the day, it's a personal decision. Whether it's right will depend on what you think you would personally prefer, and benefit from.
    No **** Sherlock. The point of the thread, I think, was advantages/disadvantages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SplidgeSplodge)
    Most students will leave with their loan debt and that's it. No other debts. Only the stupid ones will have credit card debts and such like... and that's hardly got anything tod o with living away from home.
    Wrong,

In most cases the student loan will only cover accomodation and course fees and perhaps there may be some left over for course books/stationary etc, those students who are not supported financially in some way by their parents will have to pay for all their living expenses themselves, for some there will be suitable part time jobs but many will choose to get into extra debt to enjoy themselves at uni, nothing stupid about that, as long as they come out with a valuable degree

ReputationRep:
    Also birmingham and exeter have a better repuation for their geography department.
    By about 1 million miles.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you say that??? Birmingham is in the top 10 for the best geography department by the times good university guide. ^ ^

ReputationRep:
    That's what I was trying to say, that Exeter and Birmingham are about 10000 times better than Gloucestershire.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.