Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    That's what I was trying to say, that Exeter and Birmingham are about 10000 times better than Gloucestershire.
    Yeah, IMO if you're good enough to get into Exeter or Birmingham you'd be silly to go to Gloucester just for the sake of living at home...

(As I think I may have said previously) the thing about not having any distractions isn't a good reason to stay home. If you're not disciplined enough to do your work independently then you probably shouldn't be at university in the first place...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misslibby)
    Yeah, IMO if you're good enough to get into Exeter or Birmingham you'd be silly to go to Gloucester just for the sake of living at home...

(As I think I may have said previously) the thing about not having any distractions isn't a good reason to stay home. If you're not disciplined enough to do your work independently then you probably shouldn't be at university in the first place...

While in theory that should be true, I managed to get into Oxford being a person who is easily distracted.

ReputationRep:
    And, judging by your amount of neg rep, a complete idiot too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    And, judging by your amount of neg rep, a complete idiot too.
    Neg rep does not make me an idiot, it just makes me unpopular. Fortunately, Oxford isn't a popularity contest.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it isn't, you can tell your non-existent friends that

ReputationRep:
    dont stay at home but dont go so far away that getting home is either really expensive, a big hassle or takes a long time. Its nice being able to see your family without breaking the bank and then you can do it as little or as often as you want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J19872)
    dont stay at home but dont go so far away that getting home is either really expensive, a big hassle or takes a long time. Its nice being able to see your family without breaking the bank and then you can do it as little or as often as you want
    Thats insane. You should not be making your unversity choice on the basis of where your family lives. Decide what course you want to do. Look which are the best universities offering it. Decide which of those you are capable of getting into. Pick 6 (ambitious) choices, and then try and get in. That is all you should be taking into account. Finance can be fixed, family is not a big deal. The most important thing is that if you are investing £9000 and 3 or more years of your life in a degree, you get the best one you are capable of doing.

ReputationRep:
    Family may not be a big deal to you but it is to me and many other people i know, i stayed at home as i love my life and dont want to change it by moving elsewhere, there is too much keeping me at home, as long as a person is happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Higgy)
    Family may not be a big deal to you but it is to me and many other people i know, i stayed at home as i love my life and dont want to change it by moving elsewhere, there is too much keeping me at home, as long as a person is happy.
    Happiness isn't everyone's objective in life. Also, its probably not true in the long term that that will make you happy.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it is a very individual decision. If I were to employ somebody and got told they went to a specific university because they could stay at home, my first thought might be: "This person is not very flexible". But then if the person elaborated on why (i.e. helping with looking after my terminally ill granny or something of similar strenght) I would probably change my mind.
    There are many reasons for moving away, apart from the uni or the courses being good. Similarly there are quite a few reasons for staying at home. It is a matter of personal priorities, there is no right or wrong. Whatever you do now, you have no guarantee that it will affect your future positively or negatively. Even if chances are high it will turn out one way or the other, still, even a degree from Oxbridge is no guarantee for a happy life and/ or success, but the odds might be higher it will happen.

ReputationRep:
    I live in halls within the same city as my home, 20 min (30 in traffic) bus ride away from home. Fortunately for me living in Birmingham I had two top universities on my doorstep. I wanted to do business so out of Aston and B’ham, Aston was the obvious choice. Any way, I live in halls on the Aston uni campus (40 seconds walk from my lecture hall). I go home once a week, usually go home Friday, work on the Saturday and Sunday then go home on the Sunday night or Monday morning (weekends are dead any way). I do sometimes go home within the week if I need a good nights sleep or some proper food, it’s also nice to get away from uni. I would have still chosen Aston even if it was far away! Personally I think I have the best of both worlds, living on campus getting involved and the experience but the personal washing service at home comes in handy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allymcb2)
    Happiness isn't everyone's objective in life. Also, its probably not true in the long term that that will make you happy.
    Well life would be pretty crappy if you were unhappy dont you think? Im not living for the long term at the moment im living for now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J4ME5)
    I live in halls within the same city as my home, 20 min (30 in traffic) bus ride away from home. Fortunately for me living in Birmingham I had two top universities on my doorstep. I wanted to do business so out of Aston and B’ham, Aston was the obvious choice. Any way, I live in halls on the Aston uni campus (40 seconds walk from my lecture hall). I go home once a week, usually go home Friday, work on the Saturday and Sunday then go home on the Sunday night or Monday morning (weekends are dead any way). I do sometimes go home within the week if I need a good nights sleep or some proper food, it’s also nice to get away from uni. I would have still chosen Aston even if it was far away! Personally I think I have the best of both worlds, living on campus getting involved and the experience but the personal washing service at home comes in handy.
    That's exactly what I want to do! Except I want to do Pharmacy :p: I want to get into Aston, even though it's just one bus ride away (30 minutes aswell - spooky) I still want to stay on campus. It's actually what a close friend of mine is doing at the moment (she's in her first year). Are you going to do this during your whole degree? (3/4 years) or just the first year? - I was thinking of doing it in just my first year and then moving back home in my second..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    LMAO

sorry but I laughed. University is hardly just about the degree, more about the social experience IMO.
    Most people want a bit of both. If you're mocking someone for taking their education seriously then you're obviously very immature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_only_meee)
    Most people want a bit of both. If you're mocking someone for taking their education seriously then you're obviously very immature.
    Not mocking at all, just offering my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Higgy)
    Well life would be pretty crappy if you were unhappy dont you think? Im not living for the long term at the moment im living for now
    It depends on whether you are a hedonist.

ReputationRep:
    I would say i am yes

ReputationRep:
    I am quite shy but I feel that moving out will help me come out of my shell.

The idea of living in halls and moving out terrifies me but I know I'll regret it if I don't.

Is it harder to focus on work if you move out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou_)
    I am quite shy but I feel that moving out will help me come out of my shell.

The idea of living in halls and moving out terrifies me but I know I'll regret it if I don't.

Is it harder to focus on work if you move out?
    Yes, obviously. But that is something you will have to learn when you move out anyway and the stuff you get distracted by will be a lot more fun.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.