The Student Room Group

Useless BScs

Some people on this site can fall into the trap of thinking that any course ending in BSc is going to lead them into six figure salary career. What are the most useless BSc courses you have seen?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

who falls into that trap? Very few careers lead to a 6 figure salary.
Original post by Okorange
who falls into that trap? Very few careers lead to a 6 figure salary.

A BSc is a degree not a career :/
Original post by anonwinner
A BSc is a degree not a career :/

You get my point though, my point is even stronger with the BSc argument. There are very few BScs that lead to a job that pays 6 figures.
Original post by Okorange
You get my point though, my point is even stronger with the BSc argument. There are very few BScs that lead to a job that pays 6 figures.

Some people don't know this.

Either way I think the worst degrees are awarded as BA's not BSc not to say that BA's are bad but the worst degrees I've seen have been BA's
Surf board technology
You have to work at it. A degree still is not an easy way to get a six figure salary job!
Biomedical science is useless
Reply 8
Original post by Crystalz
Some people don't know this.

Either way I think the worst degrees are awarded as BA's not BSc not to say that BA's are bad but the worst degrees I've seen have been BA's

Original post by KingStannis
Surf board technology

Must be mega money in that if you're top of the field! Same with stuff like 'race car design' - Probability is you'll just transfer the skills, but possibility is you'll hit gold.
Reply 9
As can any degree.
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Biomedical science is useless

none accredited BMS courses filled with failed medics may be 'useless' but accredited BMS courses leading to state registration are far from useless ...
Reply 11
Very few degrees are 'directly' related. Only stuff like medicine/nursing etc. The link between say Economics and IB is about as tenuous as the link between History and IB. Computer Science degrees are nothing to do with tech anyway. They teach you basic transferrable skills, not how to work in industry. Philosophy can lead to IB/Magic Circle/whatever.

Very little of what you learn during a degree actually matters. Only the groundwork.
You could become a top academic philosopher and earn loads i guess. The qualification that it must be a directly related job isn't helpful to be honest.
So can any degree. So can no degree, too.
Original post by KingStannis
Surf board technology

Oh somebody had to go there :rolleyes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/active/7589497/Surfers-ride-into-the-boardroom.html

Just had a look and it seems Capbert is still there and sporting a fine mustache http://www.finisterreuk.com/notes/cat/team-ernest-capbert#!team-ernest-capbert-1

if you've got a surf related game-plan and are entrepreneurial, doing a degree could be a useful way of learning about the business while having enough spare time & spare energy to make contacts.

What drags these courses down IMO is if they start to fill up with lazy, disinterested students with no plan, no ideas (and no wealthy family to pull strings for them) who just want to get on any degree that'll take their grades.
Original post by Changing Skies

Chemistry > biology Bite plz

V
People do a huge variety of degrees but there really isn't a degree that directly leads to a job that pays 6 figures. Its only a small percentage of people who graduate with a degree in any of those listed above that actually end up making 6 figures and they had to offer a lot more or just be lucky to end up there.

If you want to make big money you need to do something in business and either get promoted or start your own company. Science degrees are great for getting a well paying job, but they don't necessarily lead to very high salaries.
Reply 18
The whole six figure salary is a bit of an exaggeration, what I meant was a science degree that would look bad on a CV for a city career or something

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wiseLAD
The whole six figure salary is a bit of an exaggeration, what I meant was a science degree that would look bad on a CV for a city career or something

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well something like surf science will send out the wrong signals for that, what surf science signals is that either that you have a very focussed ambition that is surfing related (like the guys in the telegraph article) or that you got bad grades and picked a course in clearing with a pin.

For a non-specific finance career you want very generic sounding courses especially if they've got the reputation of being in maths heavy subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending