The Student Room Group

Do I really need NQT to teach in Thailand?

Hey all,

from snooping I know one or two of you are working as teachers in Thailand so I suppose this question is really for you. How essential is it that I complete my NQT year if I want to go on to work in a Thai International school? I'm guessing there is no definite answer here so just wondering what you guys think? Any shared experience would be greatly appreciated.

I worked in Thailand as an unqualified secondary science teacher for 3 years and loved it. For family reasons I returned home (Dublin) this summer and have since started a PGCE in science in England. Term 1 is finished and all I can say is WOW :eek: What a culture shock! Never been so busy in my life but I must admit that the training is top notch, even if i am up until 1am every night completing paperwork for one reason or another.

Thing is, I miss living in Bangkok so much. Miss the people, food, beach, shopping, etc. and want to get back there asap. My initial plan was do my pgce followed by nqt and then go back but I'm getting impatient and fantasising about going back without doing my nqt year. Is this a foolish decision? I was making between 55k THB with my old school so would expect to make more next time around. I can't really see myself working in the Uk in the future. I'd sooner see myself teaching back in Ireland, where I'm almost sure the nqt year is unnecessary.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Minnie:bunny:
Reply 1
Necessary? No, not if you plan on staying abroad for the rest of your career.
But advisable? Absolutely. Not just to make you a better teacher overall, but also to safeguard you in case you ever do return to the UK to work as a teacher (and never say never).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending