The Student Room Group

Do any teachers actually care?

I had a teacher that I trusted for four years, she knew every problem that I had (self harm, stress, anxiety). She really seemed to care and I honestly trusted her with my life, when I found out she wouldn't be teaching me this year we said that I would go up to her office and still talk to her and she said she would still be here for me even though she's not my teacher, but every time I see her in the corridor she just says hello and walks past without even stopping to talk. I haven't seen her around for months and when I saw her in a shop the other day she looked at me and didn't even say hello or smile.

It's horrible because I trusted her so much and really thought she cared but as soon as it wasn't her job to deal with me anymore she stopped talking to me. Are all teachers like this? Do they just pretend to care because it's their job?
Reply 1
Original post by Anon_4557
I had a teacher that I trusted for four years, she knew every problem that I had (self harm, stress, anxiety). She really seemed to care and I honestly trusted her with my life, when I found out she wouldn't be teaching me this year we said that I would go up to her office and still talk to her and she said she would still be here for me even though she's not my teacher, but every time I see her in the corridor she just says hello and walks past without even stopping to talk. I haven't seen her around for months and when I saw her in a shop the other day she looked at me and didn't even say hello or smile.

It's horrible because I trusted her so much and really thought she cared but as soon as it wasn't her job to deal with me anymore she stopped talking to me. Are all teachers like this? Do they just pretend to care because it's their job?

Depends on their character
I am a teacher and I can tell you that I definitely care about all of my pupils, even after I finish teaching them. I'm not going to pretend to know your teacher's mind but it could be a multitude of things. I find it odd that she'd act like this after four years, so maybe she does care more when dealing with her own pupils. Teachers are just people and can have the good and bad traits just like anyone else. Personally, I'd like to think that she does care but that she feels like she can't continue being there for you but isn't very good at dealing with the situation.
Reply 3
Original post by Erebusaur
I am a teacher and I can tell you that I definitely care about all of my pupils, even after I finish teaching them. I'm not going to pretend to know your teacher's mind but it could be a multitude of things. I find it odd that she'd act like this after four years, so maybe she does care more when dealing with her own pupils. Teachers are just people and can have the good and bad traits just like anyone else. Personally, I'd like to think that she does care but that she feels like she can't continue being there for you but isn't very good at dealing with the situation.

Thank you, I like to think it's because she's not good at dealing with it but I highly doubt it. Like you said teachers are only humans and most people don't want other peoples problems loaded onto them, she was probably just helping because she had to. It's just a shame that some pupils get quite attached to some teachers, only to be let down when they find out it was fake
Original post by Anon_4557
Thank you, I like to think it's because she's not good at dealing with it but I highly doubt it. Like you said teachers are only humans and most people don't want other peoples problems loaded onto them, she was probably just helping because she had to. It's just a shame that some pupils get quite attached to some teachers, only to be let down when they find out it was fake

I doubt that it was fake. To pretend to care for four years as intensely as that? You either care a lot or you're an incredibly dedicated actor. The sad truth is that teachers meet so many pupils over such a long period of time that it becomes a lot easier to simply try and detach yourself once you stop teaching them. Otherwise, you're going to spend your life thinking about hundreds of your pupils are doing. But that doesn't mean they stop caring.
Reply 5
Not really..I'm skeptical when it comes to this, but they are people too so some things must make their emotions start
why are you bitching when this teacher has given up their time to care about your problems? you sound extremely selfish/ignorant
teachers have no responsibility to care about students' problems outside teaching.
they're called teachers.
Reply 7
Original post by gonnagetrejected
why are you bitching when this teacher has given up their time to care about your problems? you sound extremely selfish/ignorant
teachers have no responsibility to care about students' problems outside teaching.
they're called teachers.

I'm not bitching, I actually care about her so I wouldn't bitch. I'm only asking peoples opinions on whether they think teachers care, not if I'm selfish or ignorant, so if you're not going to answer the question then just don't comment at all
At the end of the day, teachers have a professional commitment to their pupils. They have to draw boundaries between them for their own sake as well as for the pupils. It is extremely hard to do well and there are all sorts of grey areas. Maybe it'd be different if she met you again after you'd left school. She clearly cared about you because NOBODY would put that much effort into someone without caring.
you don't care about her. we all know you're dumping your problems on her, stressing her out etc. for nothing in return. if you really care about her, what do you offer her in return? nothing. didn't think about that did you. she only helps you because she's a nice person. stop being so demanding. she doesn't need to help you any more. stop holding a gun to her head.
At the end of the day, teachers have a professional commitment to their pupils. They have to draw boundaries between them for their own sake as well as for the pupils. It is extremely hard to do well and there are all sorts of grey areas. Maybe it'd be different if she met you again after you'd left school. She clearly cared about you because NOBODY would put that much effort into someone without caring.

on a serious note, can you tell me why i'm an attractive person to the teachers i've had? i've had a few experiences, but recently i could sense a growing relationship with a teacher where i've become her favourite student. i don't even know why. she asks me a lot of personal questions in class, laughs at my jokes (even the bad ones) etc. i don't need to go into specifics because you just know when someone likes you.
can i honestly ask what's up because i've had a few teachers over the years want to get quite close to me (srs)
Original post by gonnagetrejected
on a serious note, can you tell me why i'm an attractive person to the teachers i've had? i've had a few experiences, but recently i could sense a growing relationship with a teacher where i've become her favourite student. i don't even know why. she asks me a lot of personal questions in class, laughs at my jokes (even the bad ones) etc. i don't need to go into specifics because you just know when someone likes you.
can i honestly ask what's up because i've had a few teachers over the years want to get quite close to me (srs)

Without knowing you personally I can't really give you an accurate answer. Teachers often get favourite students, even when trying to actively avoid this. Some pupils just seem a lot more interested in your subject or easier to talk to. It's the same as with people outside of school except you're in the same room as them 3 or 4 hours every week. I don't really want to hijack the topic but it is most likely that you're just a likeable person and they've naturally reacted to that. Obviously, they shouldn't be acting on that in a personal way really.
Without knowing you personally I can't really give you an accurate answer. Teachers often get favourite students, even when trying to actively avoid this. Some pupils just seem a lot more interested in your subject or easier to talk to. It's the same as with people outside of school except you're in the same room as them 3 or 4 hours every week. I don't really want to hijack the topic but it is most likely that you're just a likeable person and they've naturally reacted to that. Obviously, they shouldn't be acting on that in a personal way really.

lol the funny thing is i absolutely hated the subjects where my teacher liked me. the only subjects i liked, my teachers HATED me! and i wouldnt even say that im a likable person. my peers don't like me (that much), but it seems like me and (some) teachers really hit it off. sometimes i feel like i'm not picking up the extra stuff they're trying to put down.
Well, I have a male teacher who seems to care about me a lot! He's the only one I can talk to to seek advice or when I feel scared and alone. He's not my maths teacher anymore so we decided to have a one day every week this year to have an hour to do maths as it's my final year. Also to chat about problems. So I think it all depends on the personality of this teacher.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending