Integration by reduction

Watch this thread
Davelittle
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
 \int x^6 sinx\ dx between  0 and  \pi/2 .

So I carried out by parts twice and ended up with  6( \pi /2)^5 + 30  \int x^4 sinx\ dx meaning  I_n = 6(\pi/2)^{n-1}- 30I_{n-2}

Then I carried this out this reduction formulae to my integral and didn't end up with the same answer as wolfram alpha.

Can someone check what I've done wrong please
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Davelittle)
 \int^0.5\pi_0(x^6 sinx \dx) between 0 and  \pi/2 .

So I carried out by parts twice and ended up with 6(pi/2)^5 + 30  \int(x^4 sinx dx) meaning In= (pi/2)^n-1 - 30In-2 (the In is capital I subscript n not natural log).

Then I carried this out this reduction formulae to my integral and didn't end up with the same answer as wolfram alpha.

post the question and some workings please
Davelittle
Rep:
(Original post by TeeEm)
post the question and some workings please
Let me sort out the latex one sec
Phichi
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
 \int x^6 sinx \dx between  0 and  \pi/2 .

So I carried out by parts twice and ended up with  6( \pi /2)^5 + 30  \int x^4 sinx \dx meaning In= (pi/2)^n-1 - 30In-2 (the In is capital I subscript n not natural log).

Its usually custom to do \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} x^nsinx \,dx, then work out the case where n=6

Also, I've calculated the reduction formula to be;

I_n=n(\frac{\pi}{2})^{n-1}-n(n-1)I_{n-2}.

So from there we can see you're suffering a sign error. But to check I also went through the case where n=6 using parts, and ended up with:

I=6(\frac{\pi}{2})^5-30\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} x^4sinx \,dx

So we can see, its definitely a sign error on your part.
TeeEm
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Let me sort out the latex one sec
I will be off very soon.

look at questions 11 and 19 in this link

http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_...n_formulas.pdf

they are very similar.
Davelittle
Rep:
I realise that starting with I6 is incorrect, got it now thanks for the quick replies!
Davelittle
Rep:
(Original post by Phichi)
Its usually custom to do \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} x^nsinx \,dx, then work out the case where n=6

Also, I've calculated the reduction formula to be;

I_n=n(\frac{\pi}{2})^{n-1}-n(n-1)I_{n-2}.

So from there we can see you're suffering a sign error. But to check I also went through the case where n=6 using parts, and ended up with:

I=6(\frac{\pi}{2})^5-30\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} x^4sinx \,dx

So we can see, its definitely a sign error on your part.

(Original post by TeeEm)
I will be off very soon.

look at questions 11 and 19 in this link

http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_...n_formulas.pdf

they are very similar.
Sorted it, thanks to you both thumbs up!
Phichi
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
No problem, just pay attention to those signs in by parts :P Also, although your method worked for starting with n=6, questions with reduction formulas will always expect you, or request you to find the reduction formula for I_n to begin with. Secondly, some reductions you'll be unable to find by beginning with a certain n value, and they require a lot of manipulation.
TeeEm
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
goodnight
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (34)
18.09%
The paper was reasonable (76)
40.43%
Not feeling great about that exam... (38)
20.21%
It was TERRIBLE (40)
21.28%

Watched Threads