The Student Room Group

Integration by reduction

x6sinx dx \int x^6 sinx\ dx between 0 0 and π/2 \pi/2 .

So I carried out by parts twice and ended up with 6(π/2)5+30 6( \pi /2)^5 + 30 x4sinx dx \int x^4 sinx\ dx meaning In=6(π/2)n130In2 I_n = 6(\pi/2)^{n-1}- 30I_{n-2}

Then I carried this out this reduction formulae to my integral and didn't end up with the same answer as wolfram alpha.

Can someone check what I've done wrong please
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Davelittle
Unparseable latex formula:

\int^0.5\pi_0(x^6 sinx \dx)

between 0 and π/2 \pi/2 .

So I carried out by parts twice and ended up with 6(pi/2)^5 + 30 (x4sinxdx) \int(x^4 sinx dx) meaning In= (pi/2)^n-1 - 30In-2 (the In is capital I subscript n not natural log).

Then I carried this out this reduction formulae to my integral and didn't end up with the same answer as wolfram alpha.

post the question and some workings please
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
post the question and some workings please

Let me sort out the latex one sec
Reply 3

\int x^6 sinx \dx

between 0 0 and π/2 \pi/2 .

So I carried out by parts twice and ended up with 6(π/2)5+30 6( \pi /2)^5 + 30

\int x^4 sinx \dx

meaning In= (pi/2)^n-1 - 30In-2 (the In is capital I subscript n not natural log).

Its usually custom to do 0π2xnsinxdx\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} x^nsinx \,dx, then work out the case where n=6n=6

Also, I've calculated the reduction formula to be;

In=n(π2)n1n(n1)In2I_n=n(\frac{\pi}{2})^{n-1}-n(n-1)I_{n-2}.

So from there we can see you're suffering a sign error. But to check I also went through the case where n=6n=6 using parts, and ended up with:

I=6(π2)5300π2x4sinxdxI=6(\frac{\pi}{2})^5-30\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} x^4sinx \,dx

So we can see, its definitely a sign error on your part.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Let me sort out the latex one sec

I will be off very soon.

look at questions 11 and 19 in this link

http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/further_topics/integration/reduction_formulas.pdf

they are very similar.
Reply 5
I realise that starting with I6 is incorrect, got it now thanks for the quick replies!
Reply 6
Original post by Phichi
Its usually custom to do 0π2xnsinxdx\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} x^nsinx \,dx, then work out the case where n=6n=6

Also, I've calculated the reduction formula to be;

In=n(π2)n1n(n1)In2I_n=n(\frac{\pi}{2})^{n-1}-n(n-1)I_{n-2}.

So from there we can see you're suffering a sign error. But to check I also went through the case where n=6n=6 using parts, and ended up with:

I=6(π2)5300π2x4sinxdxI=6(\frac{\pi}{2})^5-30\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} x^4sinx \,dx

So we can see, its definitely a sign error on your part.

Original post by TeeEm
I will be off very soon.

look at questions 11 and 19 in this link

http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/further_topics/integration/reduction_formulas.pdf

they are very similar.

Sorted it, thanks to you both thumbs up!
Reply 7

No problem, just pay attention to those signs in by parts :P Also, although your method worked for starting with n=6n=6, questions with reduction formulas will always expect you, or request you to find the reduction formula for InI_n to begin with. Secondly, some reductions you'll be unable to find by beginning with a certain n value, and they require a lot of manipulation.
Reply 8

goodnight

Quick Reply

Latest