username1592465
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Recently I've been doing some research into various modern language courses at different universities, and as someone who is interested in studying French from scratch, I've noticed that this is offered at VERY few universities.

Does anyone know the reason for this?

Is it because French is too difficult to be taught as from beginners level to degree level proficiency or because it's traditionally the language taught in schools, so they expect that most people would have taken it at A level if they desire to continue with it?

Has anyone studied ab initio French along with another language who could give me an insight into what it's like?
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Pretty much every single school offers French, and if you had an interest in it then you would be expected to take it. That's why.

I'm currently doing a degree in French and ab initio Spanish, as my school only offered French for languages, so that's what I was limited to for A-Level, and why I had to pick up another language at ab initio.
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Quintessentially)
Recently I've been doing some research into various modern language courses at different universities, and as someone who is interested in studying French from scratch, I've noticed that this is offered at VERY few universities.

Is it because French is too difficult to be taught as from beginners level to degree level proficiency or because it's traditionally the language taught in schools, so they expect that most people would have taken it at A level if they desire to continue with it?

Has anyone studied ab initio French along with another language who could give me an insight into what it's like?
I think it's because most schools offer French already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Leanne1455
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I had exactly the same problem as I did Spanish and German at high school and now do A level German. I applied to Nottingham and Bangor who both offer French from scratch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sophia5892
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Quintessentially)

That's interesting that you've found that - I had French A Level so it wasn't something I paid much attention to when I was applying. I know you can do ab-initio French at Newcastle (where I study). But I thought that was the case at Birmingham and Southampton too, where i also applied. But as I said, I didn't look too closely
Leanne1455
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Birmingham offer pretty much every language ab initio apart from French which was particularly annoying. Nottingham is one of the only Russell group unis I applied to that allows you to start beginners french.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sophia5892
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hmm, I've had a quick search and Southampton offer it. Leeds and Manchester didn't look to. So that's Newcastle, Nottingham and Southampton for RG unis.
Seems pretty poor if out of the 24 Russell Group unis there's only a handful offering it :/
Leanne1455
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sophia5892)
Hmm, I've had a quick search and Southampton offer it. Leeds and Manchester didn't look to. So that's Newcastle, Nottingham and Southampton for RG unis.
Seems pretty poor if out of the 24 Russell Group unis there's only a handful offering it :/
I think it's quite a shame. Languages are already in decline in the UK so in my opinion all unis should make sure they are offering as many languages as possible. If anything French- one of the most important languages in today's society!

Posted from TSR Mobile
sophia5892
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Leanne1455)
I think it's quite a shame. Languages are already in decline in the UK so in my opinion all unis should make sure they are offering as many languages as possible. If anything French- one of the most important languages in today's society!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exactly. French is in high demand with employers and it's a relatively accessible language for an English native speaker, even more so if you've done Spanish before too.

But I guess there musn't be that much demand for it :/ I guess if unis were inundated with students asking about it then they might think about offering it.
Leanne1455
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sophia5892)
Exactly. French is in high demand with employers and it's a relatively accessible language for an English native speaker, even more so if you've done Spanish before too.

But I guess there musn't be that much demand for it :/ I guess if unis were inundated with students asking about it then they might think about offering it.
Well this was one thing that was really important for me. I obviously wanted to carry German on to university but was a bit reserved about just studying german as I didn't want to limit my options. Plus I think doing just one language in so much depth would become a bit tedious over time. French, for me, seemed like the most appealing language. Either way I've had offers back from 4/5 universities I applied to and I think I will take nottingham as my firm choice for German and beginners french with translation and bangor as my insurance with German with Beginners French

Posted from TSR Mobile
sophia5892
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Leanne1455)
Well this was one thing that was really important for me. I obviously wanted to carry German on to university but was a bit reserved about just studying german as I didn't want to limit my options. Plus I think doing just one language in so much depth would become a bit tedious over time. French, for me, seemed like the most appealing language. Either way I've had offers back from 4/5 universities I applied to and I think I will take nottingham as my firm choice for German and beginners french with translation and bangor as my insurance with German with Beginners French

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congrats on your offers!
Observatory
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The vast majority of applicants will have at least GCSE French so it's not worth their bother setting up low level courses with overqualified staff to cater to this level. French is not more difficult than languages like German let alone Russian or Chinese offered ab initio. On the other hand you can get your French A2-B2 with night classes at a tiny fraction the cost of a degree.
Leanne1455
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Observatory)
The vast majority of applicants will have at least GCSE French so it's not worth their bother setting up low level courses with overqualified staff to cater to this level. French is not more difficult than languages like German let alone Russian or Chinese offered ab initio. On the other hand you can get your French A2-B2 with night classes at a tiny fraction the cost of a degree.
Yeah for me french seemed like the next language to learn to a high level after german and seeing as I'm paying £9000 I wanted to make sure I went to a Uni that offered french as part of my degree so I didn't have to fork out any extra cash.

Posted from TSR Mobile
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
French you can get upto A Level standard in the summer before uni tbh.

As with Spanish, but French is offered most places. Even my ****ty school offered French at GCSE.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Check out the extra-curricular language study options at your uni. Mine offers a range of free self-teaching options for languages through the library, including French and other European languages, with others such as Russian, Japanese and Mandarin or Cantonese Chinese. These progress through to a formal qualification standard if you want to do one. Anyone on any course can do them. There are different formats available including online group or solo learning. It won't be uni-level, but you come out of it with a qualification that you can take further if you want and will still look good on a CV as it demonstrates enthusiasm and initiative.
Leanne1455
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Klix88)
Check out the extra-curricular language study options at your uni. Mine offers a range of free self-teaching options for languages through the library, including French and other European languages, with others such as Russian, Japanese and Mandarin or Cantonese Chinese. These progress through to a formal qualification standard if you want to do one. Anyone on any course can do them. There are different formats available including online group or solo learning. It won't be uni-level, but you come out of it with a qualification that you can take further if you want and will still look good on a CV as it demonstrates enthusiasm and initiative.
Thanks. I've seen this offered quite a lot. But I've found a uni that offered it as part of my degree now

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
62.16%
No I haven't decided yet (48)
21.62%
Yes but I might change my mind (36)
16.22%

Watched Threads