The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The only way is to park on a residential street futher out of Oxford. Students never get parking permits unless they have a very good reason such as being disabled. You don't need a car, everything is within walking/cycling distance. Plus Oxford can be bad for car crime. Buy a bike.
Why are you so desperate to have a car? What will you need it for?
Reply 3
JTG
OP
I need one becasue I'm a gymnast - train 15 hours a week - and need to get back and forth to Aylesbury to train...checked out buses, they're no good
Reply 4
why aylesbury?

central oxford is pretty much a no-go area for cars.

you could always use the park-and-ride facilities, its something like 60p a day.
Mmm, that's a good reason - but doesn't make things any easier, unfortunately. The best people to ask, of course, are the college and the council! Try [email protected] for the college. For the council, ring 01865 252693 (Payments & Parking Shop) or [email protected].
Reply 6
JTG
OP
Elpaw - Aylsbury because that's where the gym is. Has vault, bars, beam, floor, pits ect. Oxford gym club doesn't have those kind of facilities.
Reply 7
JTG
Oxford gym club doesn't have those kind of facilities.

Are you sure about that?
Reply 8
I live near aylesbury, and there's buses to Oxford every 1/2 hour throughout the day and every hour till about 2300... granted its not the fastest bus in the world, but will be far cheaper & easier than a car!!
Reply 9
interiority
You'd have to walk from the town centre out to the gym though, it's quite a way as I recall.

aha... I bow to your superior knowledge on that one... all I know is I plan to make regular bus trips to see my beloved Aylesbury United in action!!
Reply 10
*waves Aylesbury flag* woohoo. Aylesbury. I am misfortunate enough to live there [too?].

I'm not a supporter of Aylesbury United but I believe that their ground is a far trek from the bus station too! And speaking of the walk to the gym, it's approximately 25 minutes from the bus station-- if we mean the Guttman and not the other one, which would only be about a 10 minute walk max.

The problem with the Aylesbury-Oxford bus connection is that it's easy to get a bus from here to there, but it always seems to be late going back again. Not that I really mind.
Reply 11
There are loads of places about 20 mins walk from hilda's (if that far) that are not in resident permnit zone. The first road without are the other side of Bullingdon road!
Reply 12
interiority
You'd need a bus to get to the football ground from town, I think. For me [I'm slow, so consider it the base], it'd be about 30mins to both the Guttman and Lynx from town. There's a half-hourly bus to the Guttman, but Lynx is in the middle of a business park, so I'm not sure there is one.

All in all, a point to consider is that Aylesbury bus service is crap, and the Oxford bus is best of a bad bunch - at least it runs past 6pm.

Crap is an understatement- I waited for the bus (the bus station-elm farm/bedgrove) to take me to work from near the Guttman and I was 15 minutes late as it didn't show up and I had to run. And I'm not very good at running!

I thought I was probably the only person on this forum who'd ever heard of Aylesbury and now there's a whole host of people who've been here and know their way around it. I even saw a thread today that mentioned my school! That's unusual...

Sorry for off-topicness!
Reply 13
JTG
OP
What is the Guttman? Lynx gymnastics club is where I'm going to be training (if i can get this sorted!) didn't know there was another gym club...
Reply 14
JTG
What is the Guttman? Lynx gymnastics club is where I'm going to be training (if i can get this sorted!) didn't know there was another gym club...

I don't think it is, as Interiority said it's more of a sports center. I just assumed you meant there as I hadn't heard of Lynx and I know that the Guttman has just been redone so thought that's probably where you'd train. Sorry to complicate things! I can't believe that crappy old Aylesbury has something that Oxford doesn't (apart from the many numbers of Kevs).

interiority
Well there's so little to do in Aylesbury, people have to occupy themselves somehow, lol.

Good point! Are you coming to Oxford University next year then?
Reply 15
interiority
No, didn't even apply, hehe... I'm just plain nosy and read all the subforums. I imagine that you are?

Yep :biggrin: To study English. Although I spend so much time on the Internet that I'll probably not make it... oh why was I born so lazy?!? And you're going to Durham? (I just read the Official List of Members heading off to University list) That's a long way away! Although the further from this place, the better I suppose.. :biggrin:
You don't need a bus out to the footie ground!! I walk it most Saturdays (come in on the Leighton Buzzard bus)... its only a 15 minute brisk walk!!
F. Poste
I even saw a thread today that mentioned my school! That's unusual...

Sorry for off-topicness!

Which School?
interiority
I am obviously hideously lazy, lol... Isn't it by Watermead?

Yep, opposite the Horse & Jockey
Reply 19
Sim4321
There are loads of places about 20 mins walk from hilda's (if that far) that are not in resident permnit zone. The first road without are the other side of Bullingdon road!

I thought that Bullingdon Road was made permits only when they retarmaced it a few months back...

Latest

Trending

Trending