Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile04)
    Ive got a lot of the symptoms and ive been tested for diabetes four times now but im not diabetic. They dont always do blood tests, though 3 of mine were blood tests, one was a pee in a cup style test as part of a medical for work. Just shows that having some of the symptoms doesnt necessarily mean you have it
    Its better to be safe than sorry though

How long did it take after your test before they could tell if you were diabetic or not? Was it straight away?

(Original post by red_Rose)
    Im scared about going to get tested and if i go to the doctor and say can i have a test for diabetes wont they ask me why? I hate blood tests too, i dont mind a finger prick but can i refuse a proper blood test?
    You can refuse whatever medical intervention you want... unless you're unconscious without having made your wishes clear or they section you! :p:

Diabetics often monitor their status using finger prick testing - so that alone could be quite useful to the doctor for starters if they decide it needs investigation after asking you some questions. & if they have the right equipment putting a drop of blood onto the machine will quickly tell them your blood glucose then & there (though they might want to do it fasting) which can be a good indication.

More blood tests might be advisable if it needs to be followed up further though.

If it helps you motivate yourself to go - from a medical perspective the scary thing is the problems uncontrolled diabetes can lead to rather than the management it might need!

oh & of course they'll ask you why!

Doctors in the UK generally try not to go around dishing out tests that might be completely unnecessary (from a ££s perspective & they're not exactly fun for the patients!) & often asking some questions are crucial to a diagnosis or the line of investigation to follow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_Rose)
    I've been reading this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=303574

and it mentions that being hungry after a meal can be a symptom of diabetes, im also quite tired and often need an hours sleep at tea time even though ive had a good sleep the night before.

Im scared about going to get tested and if i go to the doctor and say can i have a test for diabetes wont they ask me why? I hate blood tests too, i dont mind a finger prick but can i refuse a proper blood test?
    If you want to be checked for diabetes you will need a blood sugar test to determine if you actually do have diabetes and if you do to check which type you are 1 or 2

your local Lloyds pharmacy has a diabetes test on offer - click the link to check it out

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 1, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.