Can you rehabilitate a rapist?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
bittr n swt
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I believe you can.

I've said this a few times on here and people have severely and viciously attacked me for mentioning it.

I believe you can rehabilitate a rapist. In the long term, it's better as they'll be a changed man and will unlikely to rape again.
Also if you send rapists to jail, sure they'll do the time but when they come out they'll still carry a threat as they haven't learnt anything.

What about rapists under the age of 16? Again sending them to jail doesn't seem like the best solution, they're only young and may have had a tough upbringing and they can change by rehab.

Rapists deserve a chance to redeem themselves as i think everyone deserves more than one chance.

I've seen nasty comments such as "cut their balls off" or "kill him" it's just not nice to read these things as they don't make you any better.

If rapists keeps offending then yes they need to go jail.

Lastly, rape is an unfortunate thing to happen.

What do you guys think of my ideas?
Kill3er
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
You're joking right? Jail is a LIGHT punishment for a rapist! Imagine If your mother or sister got raped, would you be okay with the rapist going into "rehab"?

**** outta here.
bittr n swt
Rep:
(Original post by Kill3er)
You're joking right? Jail is a LIGHT punishment for a rapist! Imagine If your mother or sister got raped, would you be okay with the rapist going into "rehab"?

**** outta here.
In the long term, I believe rapists will pose a lesser threat to society.
Kill3er
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by bittr n swt)
In the long term, I believe rapists will pose a lesser threat to society.
Kill them = No more threat
bittr n swt
Rep:
No, I only believe in capital punishment for the most serious and darkest crimes.

Killing rapists is a barbaric thing to do...which is why it is not done in this country.
Jail time is not a light punishment.
Phoebe Buffay
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
To be honest, I'm inclined to agree. That's not to say that all rapists can be rehabilitated, because there are some that commit these crimes without ever having any notion of guilt.

Although to be honest, I disagree with what you say about jail - 'If rapists keeps offending then yes they need to go jail. '

For this, I would argue the death penalty is an appropriate punishment. You said that these comments 'do not make you any better'. Well, that's not the primary concern of the judicial system.
username1060297
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Yes, but it depends on the individual. It's like how you can rehabilitate a child soldier but for every one you rehabilitate there's many more that you aren't able to recover. The same for many criminals or misguided people. It's kind of like a spectrum, some more so than others can be recovered whilst some won't ever receive the help they need to rehabilitate. In the case of a rapist, if we're talking about a serial rapist, the idea above remains, for most it'll be hard to rehabilitate because the problem will be far too serious but for a single offender, I think assuming whatever is wrong with the individual isn't as severe as a serial offender then they're more likely to be rehabilitated successfully but as is often the case with such things, the damage is done far before the offense, regarding whatever is wrong with the offender.

Of course this is just my spontaneous opinion and I haven't formally studied any of this, I'm just going off my own reasoning and knowledge at this moment in time.

*Just to make things clear, I'm in no way justifying rape or any other serious crime, but often the case is such that those involved have other issues which can be addressed and it doesn't always have to be the fault of just the offender.
bittr n swt
Rep:
(Original post by Phoebe Buffay)
To be honest, I'm inclined to agree. That's not to say that all rapists can be rehabilitated, because there are some that commit these crimes without ever having any notion of guilt.

Although to be honest, I disagree with what you say about jail - 'If rapists keeps offending then yes they need to go jail. '

For this, I would argue the death penalty is an appropriate punishment. You said that these comments 'do not make you any better'. Well, that's not the primary concern of the judicial system.
No it's not approach at all. Rapists are not murderers, they're not serial killers, they don't mass kill, they're not terrorists so I can't justify death penalty.
Phoebe Buffay
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
No, I only believe in capital punishment for the most serious and darkest crimes.

Killing rapists is a barbaric thing to do...which is why it is not done in this country.
Well I agree with your first statement - but is rape not a serious crime?

Killing rapists is not barbaric, not if somebody has been tried by a jury and found guilty, and the death sentence had been handed down by the judge - that in my view is a perfectly acceptable course of action.
Phoebe Buffay
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
No it's not approach at all. Rapists are not murderers, they're not serial killers, they don't mass kill, they're not terrorists so I can't justify death penalty.
So the death penalty is justified only when the perpetrator has killed others?
bittr n swt
Rep:
(Original post by Da Di Doo)
**** off
Everyone so far has offered an argument but you. Get off this thread.
(Original post by Ki Yung Na)
Yes, but it depends on the individual. It's like how you can rehabilitate a child soldier but for every one you rehabilitate there's many more that you aren't able to recover. The same for many criminals or misguided people. It's kind of like a spectrum, some more so than others can be recovered whilst some won't ever receive the help they need to rehabilitate. In the case of a rapist, if we're talking about a serial rapist, the idea above remains, for most it'll be hard to rehabilitate because the problem will be far too serious but for a single offender, I think assuming whatever is wrong with the individual isn't as severe as a serial offender then they're more likely to be rehabilitated successfully but as is often the case with such things, the damage is done far before the offense, regarding whatever is wrong with the offender.

Of course this is just my spontaneous opinion and I haven't formally studied any of this, I'm just going off my own reasoning and knowledge at this moment in time.

*Just to make things clear, I'm in no way justifying rape or any other serious crime, but often the case is such that those involved have other issues which can be addressed and it doesn't always have to be the fault of just the offender.
I like this and I'm more inclined to agree with it.
Well I agree with your first statement - but is rape not a serious crime?

Killing rapists is not barbaric, not if somebody has been tried by a jury and found guilty, and the death sentence had been handed down by the judge - that in my view is a perfectly acceptable course of action.
Rape is a serious crime but I said death penalty should be reserved for the most serious crime.

So because a judge, another random human being says someone must die...it becomes ok and not barbaric?

No way.
Olderandwiser23
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

There are plenty who would deem rape to be the most horrific crime imaginable. I know I do. At least with murder you no longer have to live with the psychological torment which is produced when someone's raped.

I believe they very much should go to jail and for a lot longer than they do, but rehabilitation whilst in jail is vital.
Eva.Gregoria
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
So you believe that a rapist doesn't deserve to go to jail but someone who falsely accuses someone of rape does?
bittr n swt
Rep:
So the death penalty is justified only when the perpetrator has killed others?
Sorry I meant not appropriate, not approach.

And yes.
lucaf
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Yes I believe you can, that isnt mutually exclusive with jailtime though
Phoebe Buffay
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

Rape is a serious crime but I said death penalty should be reserved for the most serious crime.

So because a judge, another random human being says someone must die...it becomes ok and not barbaric?

No way.
No, not because the judge said so. But because the alleged perpetrator will have been tried by a jury of their peers, given a legal defence and ultimately a chance to defend themselves from whatever crimes they have been alleged to commit.
bittr n swt
Rep:
(Original post by Olderandwiser23)
There are plenty who would deem rape to be the most horrific crime imaginable. I know I do. At least with murder you no longer have to live with the psychological torment which is produced when someone's raped.

I believe they very much should go to jail and for a lot longer than they do, but rehabilitation whilst in jail is vital.
To me rape is not the most horrific crime. Of all the crimes you can think off, there's a whole lot more worse out there.
Rehab in jail is vital indeed but rehab without jail is also a suitable punishment.
(Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
So you believe that a rapist doesn't deserve to go to jail but someone who falsely accuses someone of rape does?
I didn't say a rapist doesn't deserve to go jail i said rehab is a better solution. Unlike liars and false accusers, rapists can be rehab'd.
Wade-
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
It's like saying kill all criminals = no more crime

You do realise how ridiculous you sound?
Olderandwiser23
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
To me rape is not the most horrific crime. Of all the crimes you can think off, there's a whole lot more worse out there.
Rehab in jail is vital indeed but rehab without jail is also a suitable punishment.
Have you been raped? Talk to some rape victims and see the effects rape has had on them. I think (hope) you would change your opinion.
Phoebe Buffay
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Sorry I meant not appropriate, not approach.

And yes.
Hmm, I'm going to digress here. One could argue, that perhaps the darkest crimes of all, and certainly some of the most serious, are those relating to the molestation of children, and the crimes regarding paedophilia. But by your definition, even in the most extreme instances of these crimes where children do not die, the death penalty is not warranted?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
20.69%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.64%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.75%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.24%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (19)
21.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
21.84%

Watched Threads