Which Tolkien Book First?

Watch
DomStaff
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Getting Unfinished Tales and The Silmarillion soon (at the same time, same order) and I was wondering which do people recommend I read first?
amybonnie98
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Unfinished tales are a lot easier and relaxing to read - whereas Silmarillion is rather hard going! If you want to relax beforehand then read Unfinished tales first - or if you want to relax after reading Simarillion then read that first! Both are great books but I particuarly loved the Unfinished Tales. Have fun reading!
SirMasterKey
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Unfinished Tales. Silmarillion is very very heavy.
DomStaff
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by amybonnie98)
Unfinished tales are a lot easier and relaxing to read - whereas Silmarillion is rather hard going! If you want to relax beforehand then read Unfinished tales first - or if you want to relax after reading Simarillion then read that first! Both are great books but I particuarly loved the Unfinished Tales. Have fun reading!

(Original post by SirMasterKey)
Unfinished Tales. Silmarillion is very very heavy.
On the blurb of unfinished tales, it relates it to LOTR, Hobbit and The Silmarillion...will reading unfinished tales first in no way leave me wondering 'what is this' or ruin the Silmarillion for me?
Martiinn
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Tolkien Society suggests that you read
The Silmarillion before Unfinished Tales.

I found the Simarillion quite hard to get into, it is really heavy going.
Skyy9432
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Like the other say, the Silmarillion is a hard read. I found it almost like a bible in the way it was written, like some old story of the history of Middle Earth.

If you want the context the Silmarillion gives on how many parts of the world became how they are, read the Silmarillion first.

If you just want to enjoy some stories before "studying" Middle earth's origins, read the Unfinished Tales First.
Smash Bandicoot
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Silmarillion is like the Bible in fantasy land, approach with caution ye who loan from library for 2 weeks
SirMasterKey
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
The Silmarillion is like the Bible in fantasy land, approach with caution ye who loan from library for 2 weeks
Or just find it a charity shop for a couple of quid and keep it forever! :woo:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (112)
27.72%
England (140)
34.65%
Belgium (30)
7.43%
Germany (41)
10.15%
Spain (9)
2.23%