Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    to all eaby users,

is it better to place a bid as soon as you come across the item or wait until almsot the end and sniping it at the last minute?

I dont know about you but when im buying stuff on ebay if i see somethings already got bids it puts me off as i dont want to get dragged into a bidding war where i end up paying over the top for it.

ReputationRep:
    yep,bid at the last minute

ReputationRep:
    What about your postcode?

ReputationRep:
    lol, i read this as 'bidding on baby',

last min, if you bid as soon as you see it you risk jacking up the price and starting a bidding war!

ReputationRep:
    Definately snipe.

I think my best accomplishment was sniping a 110 year old first edition medical book for about $8 with 2 seconds to go before the list ended

ReputationRep:
    i use Justsnipe. they bid 8 secs before the end. you have to give them your ebay id and password so that they can log on for you

remember bid your maximum amount at the very latest

ReputationRep:
    i tend to bid a low max price as soon as I come across it. then at the last minute i will bid my actual max price.

ReputationRep:
    last min

ReputationRep:
    Im a big big ebay user for both buying and selling! The best thing to do to avoid a bidding war is to think of your maximum price you are willing to pay then wait till about 30 seconds befor the end and place that bid!! Also, dont always think that what you see on there is the best price you will find cos I use to think this but have since seen several items in shops for a lower price than on ebay!!

ReputationRep:
    you can pick up some great bargains on ebay. and also get royally screwed i payed 85 quid for a complete transformers G1 menosaur, a mate of mine bought the same item with all the small indavidual guns for about half that.

But then i did pick a fully complete G1 starscream for 30 quid including P&P,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    Definately snipe.

I think my best accomplishment was sniping a 110 year old first edition medical book for about $8 with 2 seconds to go before the list ended
    thats so annoying when somone out bids me with only a couple of seconds left :mad: how many seconds before the end of the auction do you put your bid in?

ReputationRep:
    I intended to go and bid about a minute before, but I got caught up with watching something on TV, and nearly forgot to clockwatch, so I ran screaming into the computer room and loaded ebay, and managed to click "Place a Bid" as it read "4 seconds remaining".

ReputationRep:
    I always snipe, I dont get the point in bidding during the meat of the auction.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.