The Student Room Group

Motivation Forum for AQA Biology AS Level

I thought everyone taking Biology a level can motivate each other on here :smile:
I am currently studying in sixthform AS biology.

Whats the best way of studying for you?
How do you usually motivate yourself to make your self study?
Original post by rbtrbt
I thought everyone taking Biology a level can motivate each other on here :smile:
I am currently studying in sixthform AS biology.

Whats the best way of studying for you?
How do you usually motivate yourself to make your self study?

Biology just isn't going well for me i am just going threw work we've done but getting E and fails. how are you coping and what grades are you receiving in mocks?
only thing motivating me is the fact the teacher have put me as concern and need to get at least 68% in test
Reply 2
I did AQA AS biology, I hated it so I dropped it! I feel your pain:frown: My advice is to do lots of past papers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by thuvcasio
Biology just isn't going well for me i am just going threw work we've done but getting E and fails. how are you coping and what grades are you receiving in mocks?
only thing motivating me is the fact the teacher have put me as concern and need to get at least 68% in test

I am also failing all my mocks, all E's and F's
First his put me down like i cannot do biology anymore, wait no A levels anymore. I wanted to quit and do a B-tec or apprentiship.

But then i realised i was failing because i put zero effort in. How can i do well when all i do is my compulsory homework and no extra revision.
Something hit me and i was just determined to try hard. So currently im going to have mock exams in january after this holiday.
I have decided I am going to give it my all. I've typed up all my revision notes for unit 1 biology and i want to do the best as i can.

I think we can do it, yes it is had, the hardest thing i have ever done but we need to motivate ourselves to try our hardest! No point in sitting around waiting to fail, for me its time to put my head in and BECOME A GENIUS!
Reply 4
Original post by sr-96
I did AQA AS biology, I hated it so I dropped it! I feel your pain:frown: My advice is to do lots of past papers!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ME TOO! I wanted to drop it so bad but i want to go into medicine so i need to do biology. I am going to learn all the content then try to do every past paper, hopefully. :smile:
Reply 5
I'm doing well I want to do Medicine but my GCSE's aren't that good but I know I'm good enough for medicine (It's hard for me to get work shadowing though).

But anyway I love Biology, I get A's & High B's in our tests.

I also have Mocks in January so I'm looking to get A's in Geography & Biology, And B's in Psychology and Chemistry. This will really let me know where I am in therms of progress.

May I ask what exam board you guys are on and what section?

I do OCR and we just started Unit 2 (before the holidays) we are currently doing Biological molecules (which I finished at home) & Diet and food production (with the other teacher)
Original post by rbtrbt
I am also failing all my mocks, all E's and F's
First his put me down like i cannot do biology anymore, wait no A levels anymore. I wanted to quit and do a B-tec or apprentiship.

But then i realised i was failing because i put zero effort in. How can i do well when all i do is my compulsory homework and no extra revision.
Something hit me and i was just determined to try hard. So currently im going to have mock exams in january after this holiday.
I have decided I am going to give it my all. I've typed up all my revision notes for unit 1 biology and i want to do the best as i can.

I think we can do it, yes it is had, the hardest thing i have ever done but we need to motivate ourselves to try our hardest! No point in sitting around waiting to fail, for me its time to put my head in and BECOME A GENIUS!

Yep exact same situation as you, i just do what is barely needed but i need to revise for the mocks after jan which i am dreading, Good luck
I did AQA Biology at AS and A2. AQA is by FAR THE WORST board for Biology out there. Especially the EMPA's.

I ended up with a very high A grade at AS and that helped me get an A overall at A2.

I understand the jump is incredibly difficult from GCSE.

My advice would be to drop it if you don't need it for your uni choices as it's too much work however if you wanna study Biology/Medicine/Dentistry/Biomed/Biochem etc... then you'll need it obviously.

Here are my tips:
* Do loads of past papers and practice tonnes of How Science Works questions especially from other boards as Aqa love those type.
*Do older and new past papers from aqa and keep doing them over and over again.
*BIG TIP!!!! Focus hard on doing Well in UNIT 2 !!!
Thats worth nearly half of your AS and be sure to focus more on that.

* Don't worry too much about your EMPA. I know it's horrible but it carries very few ums so focus more on your exams.

* BIG TIP!!!! If your doing AQA Biology at A2. Make sure you pick up as many marks as u can in your AS as it's very very difficult to get an A in your A2. I averaged out to about 90% in my AS and about 75% in my A2 with the same work ethic throughout the 2 years.

**Make sure to learn the mark schemes. Even if you give the best biological answer possible AQA will mark it wrong as all they care about is marking according to their stupid mark schemes

Lastly if anyone needs any help going through a particular past paper/ past paper question then please don't hesitate to PM me and I would love to help out :smile:

Good luck and sorry your stuck with AQA. :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by rbtrbt
ME TOO! I wanted to drop it so bad but i want to go into medicine so i need to do biology. I am going to learn all the content then try to do every past paper, hopefully. :smile:

Aww good luck, hope it turns out well:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by futuremedic19
I did AQA Biology at AS and A2. AQA is by FAR THE WORST board for Biology out there. Especially the EMPA's.

I ended up with a very high A grade at AS and that helped me get an A overall at A2.

I understand the jump is incredibly difficult from GCSE.

My advice would be to drop it if you don't need it for your uni choices as it's too much work however if you wanna study Biology/Medicine/Dentistry/Biomed/Biochem etc... then you'll need it obviously.

Here are my tips:
* Do loads of past papers and practice tonnes of How Science Works questions especially from other boards as Aqa love those type.
*Do older and new past papers from aqa and keep doing them over and over again.
*BIG TIP!!!! Focus hard on doing Well in UNIT 2 !!!
Thats worth nearly half of your AS and be sure to focus more on that.

* Don't worry too much about your EMPA. I know it's horrible but it carries very few ums so focus more on your exams.

* BIG TIP!!!! If your doing AQA Biology at A2. Make sure you pick up as many marks as u can in your AS as it's very very difficult to get an A in your A2. I averaged out to about 90% in my AS and about 75% in my A2 with the same work ethic throughout the 2 years.

**Make sure to learn the mark schemes. Even if you give the best biological answer possible AQA will mark it wrong as all they care about is marking according to their stupid mark schemes

Lastly if anyone needs any help going through a particular past paper/ past paper question then please don't hesitate to PM me and I would love to help out :smile:

Good luck and sorry your stuck with AQA. :biggrin:

THANKS YOU for this advice. I will defo follow up on your tips. There is so much content to learn in such little time but i am determined to do my best.
I'm defo going to do as many past papers as I can, i am basically memorising my notes because for me i feel like that is my best way to revise but mark schemes are definatly more important!
How much % of the paper is roughly knowledge and how much % is 'How science works' do you know?
AQA really love how science works questions. I'd say for A2 there's even more HSW and the whole of the A2 empa is HSW with very little science involved.

In unit 1 I'd say about 30-40 % is HSW. They have 3 mini essays at the end which are worth 5 marks each and the first few questions are science based but the rest is all HSW and application.

Unit 2 is a nightmare !!!!!!!
OMG the first few pages have a bit of science involved but then after that the rest of the paper is HSW and application and its sooooo annoying.

I would advise practicing the questions in the aqa textbook and also buying the CGP guide as they are brilliant.

If u want me to go over a topic/past paper question with you please PM me as I've probably gone through all the past papers myself.

What do u wanna study at uni ??

Trust me I know AS is all crammed in but believe me Biol5 is hell!!!! Lol we didn't even finish the whole module in class.
Hearing all of you guys' plans has really motivated me now, i'm doing A2 but resitting Unit 2, double pressure! Plus if we don't do well in our mocks after the Xmas holidays, for unit 2, we wont be allowed to re-sit! :frown:
Original post by JustBeing
Hearing all of you guys' plans has really motivated me now, i'm doing A2 but resitting Unit 2, double pressure! Plus if we don't do well in our mocks after the Xmas holidays, for unit 2, we wont be allowed to re-sit! :frown:

Wow so you've got Unit 2/Unit 4/ EMPA & Unit 5 in the summer ??
honestly, about two days ago i was lurking the forums trying to find a thread like this.
at first i was doing well in biology - i got B's, then it went down to D's and then we did a resit and i got an E.
i mean, i can see why i got that grade because i did not revise much and for the resit i didn't revise at all - but the technique of revising with aqa is sooo important. i've come to realise just how important past paper questions are, and learning directly from the mark scheme. there's only so may questions they can ask.
Wow so you've got Unit 2/Unit 4/ EMPA & Unit 5 in the summer ??

Sure do! I've been good though this year, I started revising Unit 4 early, so I just have a few topics for that in the holidays, ready to do unit 5 as we go along, and unit 2 in these holidays. Most of my class is resitting a unit because this years grades were pretty bad across the school, I think it was mainly the scrapping of January exams because everyone got lazy
Original post by JustBeing
Sure do! I've been good though this year, I started revising Unit 4 early, so I just have a few topics for that in the holidays, ready to do unit 5 as we go along, and unit 2 in these holidays. Most of my class is resitting a unit because this years grades were pretty bad across the school, I think it was mainly the scrapping of January exams because everyone got lazy

BIOl4 is the most boring module I've ever studied. Apart from a bit of Respiration/Photosynthesis/Genetics the rest of it is more ****.

Yeah we were the first year to be hit by the scrapping of the jan exams, tbh I think it's better in some way.

Heres a big tip for BIOL5= Start practicing the synoptic essays early !!!!!!!!!!!. You do know that for BIOL5 there is a 25 mark synoptic essay in the end and it's work 25% of your paper.

I got 94% in BIOL5 (132/140) and a big reason for that was because I practiced the synoptic essays a lot !!!!!!!!

There's a lot of technique involved in writing the essays, planning, Brainstorming, explaining each point, linking different parts of the syllabus together and timing.

I had done about 20 or so Synoptic essays before Christmas, so you should get cracking. Obviously you don't know what titles they'll give you however if you do an essay on any topic, it's answers/points will link in with other titles.

Please don't hesitate to scan and PM me your synoptic essay and I would love to mark them and give u feedback.

Good luck :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
BIOl4 is the most boring module I've ever studied. Apart from a bit of Respiration/Photosynthesis/Genetics the rest of it is more ****.

Yeah we were the first year to be hit by the scrapping of the jan exams, tbh I think it's better in some way.

Heres a big tip for BIOL5= Start practicing the synoptic essays early !!!!!!!!!!!. You do know that for BIOL5 there is a 25 mark synoptic essay in the end and it's work 25% of your paper.

I got 94% in BIOL5 (132/140) and a big reason for that was because I practiced the synoptic essays a lot !!!!!!!!

There's a lot of technique involved in writing the essays, planning, Brainstorming, explaining each point, linking different parts of the syllabus together and timing.

I had done about 20 or so Synoptic essays before Christmas, so you should get cracking. Obviously you don't know what titles they'll give you however if you do an essay on any topic, it's answers/points will link in with other titles.

Please don't hesitate to scan and PM me your synoptic essay and I would love to mark them and give u feedback.

Good luck :smile:

Before I started A2 when I looked at the topics, I thought to myself i'm definitely going to hate all the ecology topics, but after the initial bleh, I actually really like it, I don't know why, I prefer the nutrient cycles over populations though there's too much dry HSW in that, I like cycles and learning about all the nutrients though :smile: And yeah, having more time to go through the content is nice, gives more flexibility, i think last year though i took advantage of this and was a bit too 'flexible'. And wow! i had no idea about these synoptic essays, are they really hard? Thanks for the advice, i'll definitely try to learn how to structure them, and that's great help! We're starting unit 5 after these holidays, i'll try to get doing them ASAP and i'll let you know when I've done some :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest