Ban cosmetic surgery? Watch

Moosestachio
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm having a debate with my friend as to whether plastic surgery should be banned. Her argument is in complete favour of banning it- i agree with some of her arguments but I think it should still happen because some people such as Katie Piper would not be so inspirational as she is today without it. Has anyone else got any thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
sarskinz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, some people feel more confident when getting surgery. I mean they are paying for it then why does it bother others? If they feel more happier with it then they should get it if they want to. Like a lot of South Koreans get plastic surgery for their eyelids/nose etc and feel more confident with it apparently.
SkyT
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Confidence is the reason why I'm against a ban. If some people can live happier and more confident than without it, I think they should be allowed to do it. Also, think about people who had accidents or illnesses.

On the other hand, the excessive use of cosmetic surgery might be a result of psychic problems, Which cannot be solved by a ban, but only a psychologist.
ravichauhan11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think it should be allowed if they had an accident or injury. Also if someone feels more confident after the procedure then there's no reason why it's bad, if it makes their life happier then that's completely fine.
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As if banning something will get rid of the problem which plastic surgery is not or make things better. If your friend's stupid idea is actually implemented. People will simply travel abroad for surgery or get it done illegally in this country.
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
why on earth would you *ban* somebody from using their money in ways they personally judge as good in a manner that doesn't harm others? who are you to stop them from doing that, some kind of dictator? do you think you are more intelligent than they are so you are more legitimate to exercise judgement over their lives than they are themselves? how ****ing degrading to the human race.

of course you shouldn't ban voluntary/peaceful contracts. you cannot expect to fix all of society's subjectivity or "problems" through force. you use your words, not your fists (via law/state coercion)
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ur logic:
(1) i don't like x
(2) therefore x should be banned even though x has demand from other people.

(btw who the **** is katie piper or w.e. her name is)
Moosestachio
Rep:
?
(Original post by ltsmith)
ur logic:
(1) i don't like x
(2) therefore x should be banned even though x has demand from other people.

(btw who the **** is katie piper or w.e. her name is)
She had acid thrown in her face by an ex boyfriend

Posted from TSR Mobile
bertstare
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The work done on Katie Piper was reconstructive surgery, not "cosmetic" surgery, for one thing. Secondly, there's no conceivable reason for banning it, even if sometimes the people who undergo such surgery would be far better off receiving psychiatric help.
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Moosestachio)
She had acid thrown in her face by an ex boyfriend

Posted from TSR Mobile
what does that have to do with wanting to ban cosmetic surgery? :confused:
Moosestachio
Rep:
?
She had plastic surgery to try and correct the damage done- my friends argument says that even this shouldn't be allowed but she is completely wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
felamaslen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What on earth gives you the right to prevent others from doing to themselves what they wish to do?
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
She had plastic surgery to try and correct the damage done- my friends argument says that even this shouldn't be allowed but she is completely wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
so she thinks it shouldn't be allowed because Katie Piper has now become a figure of inspiration due to how cosmetic surgery corrected her face? what's wrong with that, does she think that she didn't deserve to become a figure of inspiration? it's like saying the x factor should be banned because it gives people the chance to become famous and earn ££. "x, had won the x factor in y year and is famous, if x hadn't gone on the x factor, x would not be famous, therefore the x factor should be banned because x didn't deserve to be famous." i think it sounds pretty irrational, but whatever floats her boat lol
Annabelle-xx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
People should have a choice
mackemforever
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm having a debate with my friend as to whether plastic surgery should be banned. Her argument is in complete favour of banning it- i agree with some of her arguments but I think it should still happen because some people such as Katie Piper would not be so inspirational as she is today without it. Has anyone else got any thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
As long as it's not being paid for on the NHS, except in the case of necessary surgery for example reconstructive plastic surgery after an accident, then people should be allowed to do whatever they want to their own bodies.
bittr n swt
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Only for negative things like scarring or facial injuries

Anything else should be banned on the NHS and kept private. I ain't paying my taxes for a girl to have a boob job no way
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bittr n swt)
Only for negative things like scarring or facial injuries

Anything else should be banned on the NHS and kept private. I ain't paying my taxes for a girl to have a boob job no way
I agree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads