Turn on thread page Beta

Eating Disorders watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Erm, she is my girlfriend so I do know her quite well... We went through it before and she got over it, just hope she does again Yes, she is a perfectionist. YEs she denies it, although I feel guilty because I buy her chocolate when she asks me too...I don't like upsetting her.
    O.k. but maybe she would rather talk to another female about her eating problems. Sorry to sound sexist but it's sometimes easier to discuss things of this nature with a female who happens to be a stranger rather than a guy who you're very close to. Don't feel guilty about buying her chocolate-nothing to feel guilty about. You give the food a negative implication by suggesting that you feel bad about it. That's how people with eating disorders feel, that food is the enemy, and they'll never be able to stop succumbing to it. That's the unhealthy attitude she should be trying to overcome. In the meantime offer her your support, reassure her that she looks great(she does) and try to explain to her(no pressure) that she'd feel a lot better if she spoke to a professional.

ReputationRep:
    yea whats bout me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocolate_Lover)
    yea whats bout me
    And you darling, get yourself down to your GP and have a heart to heart with him/her. Life's too short to have body hang-ups.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelzland)
    This question goes out to anyone that has been bulimic(or anorexic). Have you ever had any side effects from your eating habts such as your hair falling out or something else?
    my sisters severely anorexic - she has grown this wierd fur all over, think its the body panics and tries to keep warm! her hands swell up with fluid and split open cos theyre so dry too. she also has osteoperosis and very dry white skin.
    its scary, cos those kind of things can end up staying forever, even after you put the weight back on

ReputationRep:
    I used to live near a residential home for people with severe eating disorders. Sometimes I used to see the patients out for a 'walk' in the park, in wheel chairs being pushed by nurses. For a long time I thought the patients all had cancer. A lot of them were bald, all of them looked like they were at deaths door. I think the clinic was a last gasp treatment. Many of the patients died.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyballerina)
    I used to live near a residential home for people with severe eating disorders. Sometimes I used to see the patients out for a 'walk' in the park, in wheel chairs being pushed by nurses. For a long time I thought the patients all had cancer. A lot of them were bald, all of them looked like they were at deaths door. I think the clinic was a last gasp treatment. Many of the patients died.
    Thats sounds horrendous...how old where those ppl? young?
    Sxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    She just grew out of it. I think you can put two and two together to work out when she started binging before Cate, I don't know why she is doing it this time though, no real reason.
    Oh yeah. sorry, aren't in right mind today :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    So what would you call someone who binges and then purges occasionally? Not everyday but say sometimes once a week?
    EDNOS : Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified.

Here is a helpful and informative site: http://www.something-fishy.org/

And for relatives, friends, partners etc:
    http://www.something-fishy.org/helping/whatyoucando.php

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoStInIdEaFlOoD)
    And you darling, get yourself down to your GP and have a heart to heart with him/her. Life's too short to have body hang-ups.

i cant it will ruin my life

ReputationRep:
    i cant it will ruin my life
    Which bit will ruin your life? the talking to the GP or putting on weight?

ReputationRep:
    no the fact i wont b able to be a dietician when im older with a history od a.n

ReputationRep:
    are you sure they have to even know about your past to become a dietician? and also i htink you have a much better chance of fulfilling your career aspirations if youre not dead!!! and yes, i mean that in a serious way. i cant see that itd be a problem working in any area of dieticaining (or dietetics whatever its called) i even think a totally recovered anorexic would make an excellent dietician on an e.d. unit... youd have an understanding. i would consider whether dietician is the healthiest career option for you though... the anorexics i know are a little obsessed with food, and have chosen jobs where they are surrounded by it all the time. it doesnt do them any good, one has totally relapsed since. providing food for others and nagging people about what theyre eating are classic symptoms of anorexia - perhaps itd be better not to base your career around these kind of ideas as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifi53)
    are you sure they have to even know about your past to become a dietician? and also i htink you have a much better chance of fulfilling your career aspirations if youre not dead!!! and yes, i mean that in a serious way. i cant see that itd be a problem working in any area of dieticaining (or dietetics whatever its called) i even think a totally recovered anorexic would make an excellent dietician on an e.d. unit... youd have an understanding. i would consider whether dietician is the healthiest career option for you though... the anorexics i know are a little obsessed with food, and have chosen jobs where they are surrounded by it all the time. it doesnt do them any good, one has totally relapsed since. providing food for others and nagging people about what theyre eating are classic symptoms of anorexia - perhaps itd be better not to base your career around these kind of ideas as well.
    THEY DO ITS IN KINGS PROSPECTUS
    IT WILL B ON UR RECORDS
    KINGS COLLEGE SAY IF U HAVE PREVIOUS HISTORY OF ED U CANNOT BE A DIETICIAN THERE

ReputationRep:
    THEY DO ITS IN KINGS PROSPECTUS
    IT WILL B ON UR RECORDS
    KINGS COLLEGE SAY IF U HAVE PREVIOUS HISTORY OF ED U CANNOT BE A DIETICIAN THERE
    that sounds way illegal to me!
    but i really dont think itd be the most healthy thing for you to do. i reckon that youd probably be excellent @ it, poeple with eatingin disorders do seem to have a massive knowledge of food and stuff... i think itd be really bad for you though. to get better you need to be aiming at a point where you dont even notice food anymore, its just something that vanishes inside you and gives you some energy.
    dont stop what it says in the prospectus stop you from seeking help... even anonymous counselling or somehting. or make sure that youre never actually diagnosed... mental disorders can take forever to diagnose.
    x

ReputationRep:
    I Wanna Tho Wud B Good

ReputationRep:
    You do have to declare health background when working in certain professions which is tough, i have enough medical notes to fill a doctors surgery. Its hard but take things one day at a time. I used to worry how i was going to get into med school at the same time as wondering how i was going to kill myself. Surely if i was going to be dead i couldn't be a doctor? It didn't make sense but then emotional issues don't always have to.

Good luck with being a dietician if it is what you really want.

ReputationRep:
    The Only Thing Is Ive Got Atrempted Sucide On My Record

It Was Accidental Not On Purpose Took 2 Many Without Even Knowing The Dosage

ReputationRep:
    Thats sounds horrendous...how old where those ppl? young?
    Sxx
    Mostly late teens. Some a bit older. All female. I really did think it was a clinic for cancer patients for a long time. It put me off developing an eating disorder for life (though I have to admit it has it attractions. At least people were nice and kind to those poor girls. No-one is nice to fat people I can tell you.)

ReputationRep:
    The side effects that one may experience include lanugo- the fine layer of hair on the skin to keep the body warm-, hair loss, and loss of periods. At least those were ones I experienced when I was suffering from an ed. Luckily it was brief, and I never ended up in hospital. It was due to perfectionism, and I think that I will lapse any day now, because lately I've become more inclined not to eat anything again. And even if I don't lapse, some things will always stay with me; I can't eat in front of people, ever, for example.

I think if someone had tried to talk to me, especially a boyfriend, I would have become more insular and tried to hide things. But still, I was lucky enough to help myself, and it probably isn't worth risking losing someone for the sake of being overly tactful. It's such a difficult situation that even having experienced it myself I wouldn't know what to do... sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifi53)
    my sisters severely anorexic - she has grown this wierd fur all over, think its the body panics and tries to keep warm! her hands swell up with fluid and split open cos theyre so dry too. she also has osteoperosis and very dry white skin.
    its scary, cos those kind of things can end up staying forever, even after you put the weight back on
    I have the bone density of a 60 year old as a result of my 'problems'

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.