The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

How Academic is King's?

Hi everyone, so I know this is a weird question but here it goes anyways. I am an American student and it is likely I will be going to King's next year! I am excited for the opportunity. One thing as I am an American and not familiar with reputations. I have heard a few people talk online about King's not being very studious and it's a party school mostly unlike other London Uni's specifically LSE and UCL. I was barely denied by LSE and UCL doesn't offer my course so I couldn't apply, plus i love kings. Anyways I am a "nerd" I do not drink/party/do drugs/club and I will probably spend my Uni year's advancing my career through internships and working really hard to graduate with a first. Is KCL really the party school some people make it out to be? I know Uni is mostly what you make it, but just curious from a British perspective what the Uni's reputation is as I really like it but just want to make sure its vibe matches mine.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Original post by derek15
Hi everyone, so I know this is a weird question but here it goes anyways. I am an American student and it is likely I will be going to King's next year! I am excited for the opportunity. One thing as I am an American and not familiar with reputations. I have heard a few people talk online about King's not being very studious and it's a party school mostly unlike other London Uni's specifically LSE and UCL. I was barely denied by LSE and UCL doesn't offer my course so I couldn't apply, plus i love kings. Anyways I am a "nerd" I do not drink/party/do drugs/club and I will probably spend my Uni year's advancing my career through internships and working really hard to graduate with a first. Is KCL really the party school some people make it out to be? I know Uni is mostly what you make it, but just curious from a British perspective what the Uni's reputation is as I really like it but just want to make sure its vibe matches mine.

Thanks in advance for any help!

What course did you apply for? You get loads of different types of people at kings who are into clubbing, drinking etc and those that don't and both get on well with each other in class and tutorials and outside.
Best thing to do to make the most out of your year at kcl would be to join some societies (drinking initiations are optional) and you can decide which one you want to go to in the end :smile:
Btw their is also a "geek soc" which has people who play board games in the pub and have Friday film nights.
And there are loads of scoeities that don't involve drinking, so you'll be fine.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Guren
What course did you apply for? You get loads of different types of people at kings who are into clubbing, drinking etc and those that don't and both get on well with each other in class and tutorials and outside.
Best thing to do to make the most out of your year at kcl would be to join some societies (drinking initiations are optional) and you can decide which one you want to go to in the end :smile:
Btw their is also a "geek soc" which has people who play board games in the pub and have Friday film nights.
And there are loads of scoeities that don't involve drinking, so you'll be fine.

Thanks for your response! I applied for and got unconditional to read Politics. I was thinking of joining the debating society, do you have any info on what that's like?

Thanks again, and happy holidays :smile:
Original post by derek15
Thanks for your response! I applied for and got unconditional to read Politics. I was thinking of joining the debating society, do you have any info on what that's like?

Thanks again, and happy holidays :smile:

What date do you start? And there is even a game of thrones society! I haven't been unfortunately, I messaged them to find out when it's on, but they haven't replied, I'll ask more more. UN soc does debates though, and it depends on if they can book rooms to hold them.
Have a look at the KCLSU website for all the societies! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Who says King's is party school? They may be King's rejects or LSE students who hate king's...
Original post by stylejy
Who says King's is party school? They may be King's rejects or LSE students who hate king's...

The Unis he's comparing to are Imperial, UCL and LSE. Obviously it isn't as academic as those in general. However, OP, you can't stereotype the whole Uni as just party loving students. There will obviously be some like minded individuals like you, which are very career orientated.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ItsWhiteHat
The Unis he's comparing to are Imperial, UCL and LSE. Obviously it isn't as academic as those in general. However, OP, you can't stereotype the whole Uni as just party loving students. There will obviously be some like minded individuals like you, which are very career orientated.

If so, UCL and LSE, mentioned in the original post, can be party schools if you compare to Oxbridge. But I don't believe they are the kind of schools.

So I think the term, Party School, is wrong for King's as well.
There are many intelligent students and staffs enough at King's. King's is also said to be one of the good Unis for graduate employability in the world according to the global employability ranking (http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/global-employability-university-ranking-2013/2008497.article).
Reply 7
Currently at King's and have friends at LSE and UCL.

Typically you will get people less inclined to party at those two, but I have found myself that it's really not much of a difference, you get people with different interests everywhere. Like someone else mentioned a lot of us are LSE rejects - despite having LSE style grades, so don't worry about the calibre of students. Of course, there are going to be those who aren't as into the academics as others. There isn't a 'lad culture'/ 'bro culture' if you were worried..

Basically, there are those who want to party and those who do not at all - the former are in the minority I've found, so I wouldn't worry. It's very academic, but there are always those who aren't as academically inclined as others.

It's a great place academically don't worry :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi can we be freinds i don't have any freinds here

Quick Reply

Latest