Turn on thread page Beta

Please may I have some advice (buying via internet and TSR)? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, could do with some guidence.

3 and a half weeks ago I PMed a user on TSR about some text books. Once she had passed her email to me we began emailing.

2 and a half weeks ago I emailed her to arrange sending money (I had to wait a week for pay day).

I was going to send a cheque so she supplied me with her full name and address but I then thought it easier to do a bank transfer so she passed on her bank details to me as well.

I transferred the money that day, emailed to say I had done so and I've heard nothing.

She was last on TSR 4 days ago.

I've emailed twice since I transferred the money, once about 5 days ago and once 2 days ago.

Still nothing.

Any advice on what I should do? She seemed genuine and we spoke by email quite a bit. She's not a very active member on TSR if that matters.

*worried..*

Thanks in advance, Kat x

ReputationRep:
    How much money? You should have really used paypal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahmed)
    How much money? You should have really used paypal!
    What's so special about Paypal?

ReputationRep:
    With paypal you can initiate a chargeback if you didnt receive the goods and the buyer almost always gets their money back.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Send a letter by recorded delivery saying if you don't receive anything within 7 days you'll go to the small claims court. Then do it.

But if it's a relatively small amount, you're better off writing it off to experience and not doing anything so stupid in the future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Send a letter by recorded delivery saying if you don't receive anything within 7 days you'll go to the small claims court. Then do it.

But if it's a relatively small amount, you're better off writing it off to experience and not doing anything so stupid in the future
    Whilst on the subject, how can I put a case in to a small claims court?

ReputationRep:
    Who is the member?

ReputationRep:
    It was £35 which to me is quite a bit...

ReputationRep:
    I have some textbooks that you might be interested in. PM me for more info

ReputationRep:
    Well, how well do you know this member? Clearly, we can suggest how you should have done it, but that doesn't do you much good so I wouldn't bother. Keep emailing this person and if you have their address you may be able to get hold of their phone number, if you don't have it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by rahmed)
    Whilst on the subject, how can I put a case in to a small claims court?
    You can do it online here. It does cost a fee upfront, but that gets added to your claim so you get it back later. Ie if they owe you £100 and you have to pay £30 for the claim, when you win you get £130 back.

You do need to send a recorded letter giving them a time limit to respond (usually 7, 14 or 28 days) saying that you will file a claim if they don't pay in that time.

ReputationRep:
    thanks, just what I needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You can do it online here. It does cost a fee upfront, but that gets added to your claim so you get it back later. Ie if they owe you £100 and you have to pay £30 for the claim, when you win you get £130 back.

You do need to send a recorded letter giving them a time limit to respond (usually 7, 14 or 28 days) saying that you will file a claim if they don't pay in that time.
    Don't you generally get awarded costs too if you win?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by samba)
    Don't you generally get awarded costs too if you win?
    I'm not sure on that. But you can get it heard in a court near you so you don't have to travel far, and you don't have solicitors etc representing you, so costs are already low.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2006
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.