Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Edexcel A2 History - Germany 1900-45 - Monday 8th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tow)
    Kaisereich and World War One are like under the same section xD that's how I revise it
    Oh, well in the Edexcel Martin Collier / Geoff Layton books they're in separate parts so idk.

All I know is my teacher has said he weary for a crossover of sections

Praying for a simple paper on Nazi consolidation. I'm not joking, if that question comes up I'll be so incredibly happy XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farawayfromnowhere)
    It is fairly brief. I'll have to look at the MyRevisionNotes revision guide later just in case as I do think KaiserReich section may come up this year, maybe not the German Revolution though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh right are you not revising the whole course!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So lads what key figures and historians are we looking at for the WW1 controversey? Atm i got Bethmann Holwegg, Kiderlen, Kaiser, Tirpitz and Moltke. For historians ive got Fischer, Wehler, Ferguson, Ritter and Strandmann.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WilliamSlim)
    So lads what key figures and historians are we looking at for the WW1 controversey? Atm i got Bethmann Holwegg, Kiderlen, Kaiser, Tirpitz and Moltke. For historians ive got Fischer, Wehler, Ferguson, Ritter and Strandmann.
    There's girls on here too mind you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WilliamSlim)
    Are you memorising historians? I'd just remember key arguments and key figures/events or how they demonstrate those theories. You don't get marks for ticking off historians' names in the exam or contrasting an argument in a source with a completely different one not mentioned in other sources.

What do Ferguson, Ritter and Strandmann argue anyway?

(Original post by Bunny2014)
    There's girls on here too mind you x
    This made me laugh :L How's your prep going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Are you memorising historians? I'd just remember key arguments and key figures/events or how they demonstrate those theories. You don't get marks for ticking off historians' names in the exam or contrasting an argument in a source with a completely different one not mentioned in other sources.

What do Ferguson, Ritter and Strandmann argue anyway?

This made me laugh :L How's your prep going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Memorising historians is like the icing on the cake - it looks tastes nice but the cake is what matters.

You can have historians and it makes you look smart but you don't need it to get full marks or high marks - specification doesn't demand it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Oh, well in the Edexcel Martin Collier / Geoff Layton books they're in separate parts so idk.

Praying for a simple paper on Nazi consolidation. I'm not joking, if that question comes up I'll be so incredibly happy XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would be so happy if consolidation comes up.

But I feel like I'm just too reliant on that coming up that my revision is lazing off!

We all have to remember that there are so many questions they can give.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What would u say is the most importsnt factor for nazi consol?

Terror and fear??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And is the dachau camp particularly important cus it was the first one

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what you think!!!!

You won't get marked down if you believe the most ridiculous thing as long as you back it up!!

Personally, I think the veneer of legality is the most important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tow)
    It depends on what you think!!!!

You won't get marked down if you believe the most ridiculous thing as long as you back it up!!

Personally, I think the veneer of legality is the most important.
    TRUE TRUE

One last thing.. Pragmatism was mentioned above as a factor??

I have no idea what this means in this context and i cant find a simplified definition???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tow)
    Memorising historians is like the icing on the cake - it looks tastes nice but the cake is what matters.

You can have historians and it makes you look smart but you don't need it to get full marks or high marks - specification doesn't demand it.
    Would you kindly summarise what some historians other than Fischer, Wehler, and AJP Taylor say?

Those are only theories I know that are associated with historians.

I feel the same about revision slacking due to a reliance on consolidation appearing - feels bad :/ it's just the perfect type of question they could still yet ask without repeating previous years' topics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swagyolo420)
    TRUE TRUE

One last thing.. Pragmatism was mentioned above as a factor??

I have no idea what this means in this context and i cant find a simplified definition???

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pragmatism is compromise on a given issue for the sake of long/short term benefit in another area.

In my view, the nazi consolidation relied on pragmatism in the Law for the Restoration of the Professional Civil Service as only 5% of the workforce was removed for the sake of retaining a functional state.

Further, the Reichskonkordat with the Catholic Church showed an appreciation on Hitler's behalf for the popularity of Catholicism in Germany. To prevent a backlash against the regime he compromised by allowing religious practices for the sake of removing the centre party in the political sphere. With this, many Catholics accepted the Nazis, as they saw the church co-operating with the Nazi State (coupled with the fact that Papen was of the centre party).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Pragmatism is compromise on a given issue for the sake of long/short term benefit in another area.

In my view, the nazi consolidation relied on pragmatism in the Law for the Restoration of the Professional Civil Service as only 5% of the workforce was removed for the sake of retaining a functional state.

Further, the Reichskonkordat with the Catholic Church showed an appreciation on Hitler's behalf for the popularity of Catholicism in Germany. To prevent a backlash against the regime he compromised by allowing religious practices for the sake of removing the centre party in the political sphere. With this, many Catholics accepted the Nazis, as they saw the church co-operating with the Nazi State (coupled with the fact that Papen was of the centre party).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So kinda like doing something u may not agree with in the short run to improve the long run?😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Would you kindly summarise what some historians other than Fischer, Wehler, and AJP Taylor say?

Those are only theories I know that are associated with historians.

I feel the same about revision slacking due to a reliance on consolidation appearing - feels bad :/ it's just the perfect type of question they could still yet ask without repeating previous years' topics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't have notes on that unfortunately!!!

I'll see what I can do but I'm not revising part B until next week or so

Part A content is a priority atm

ReputationRep:
    So kinda like doing something u may not agree with in the short run to improve the long run?😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The general definition of pragmatism is like being flexible or, in other words, diplomatic in your views and action. You compromise things for a better end. It is to do with the means of achieving an end.

ReputationRep:
    Kind of. It's defined as:
    "A practical, matter-of-fact way of approaching or assessing situations or of solving problems."

In other words, Hitler prioritised the removal of the centre party from politics over the total removal of Catholicism in Germany, which would bring about widespread protest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tow)
    The general definition of pragmatism is like being flexible or, in other words, diplomatic in your views and action. You compromise things for a better end. It is to do with the means of achieving an end.
    Awesome thanks guys

A lot simpler than wikipedia put it haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tow)
    I don't have notes on that unfortunately!!!

I'll see what I can do but I'm not revising part B until next week or so

Part A content is a priority atm
    Oh I see no worries - let us know what you find out!

How do you tend to revise?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Awesome thanks guys

A lot simpler than wikipedia put it haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No worries! Do you have any predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.