Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by problemq)
    I do since core 4 contained a large number of easily accessible marks, the first few questions were very straightforward. The only challenging parts were normal tangent intersecting (3 marks easily accessible here), vectors last part. Core 3 had a similar number of challenging parts I thought.
    I see. I was more surprised because personally I found core 4 harder. I suppose if the consensus is that they were equally challenging that should average out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgottenApple)
    but I imagine model solutions originate from a teacher
    Possibly. Hard to tell! I don't know any teachers who have done it yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HennersPD)
    core 3 probably 85 and core 4 about 88 so no A* for me, so not going to Bath as need an A* in maths so gutted! :/ what about you?
    You'll get in! They can be lenient even if you don't get the A*.

I think I got 100 in Core 3 and maybe 92 in Core 4? Not sure whatever 65/66 will be in terms of UMS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Possibly. Hard to tell! I don't know any teachers who have done it yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They did it on exam paper tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    Depends on the ums but in terms of marks I think 72 on C3 and 69 on C4. Hopefully should be 200

You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well done dude. I reckon 100 on C3 and maybe 92 if I'm lucky on C4? Not sure what 65/66 will be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok thanks for doing this for me, really appreciate it what'd you think you got on core 4? if you don't get the A* like you miss it by a few ums do you think the university will understand you perhaps had a bad day? :/ any advice about how to stop worrying and not let it affect my other exams? :/

thank you for appreciating it, because it took me quite some time
    but it helped me too.

Before seeing this I assumed they would be lower (grade boundaries)
    but seeing as it was an 'easier' C4, I guess they would be on the high end, which makes me sad.

First of all, the university will most likely not deal with issues regarding conditions during exams as that has to be sorted out with the exam officer first.

I am in a similar position as you.
    I was sick on my C3 exam, so much that I literally did not see the equation they gave (I missed the secx in sqrtxsecx and integrated the other part) and made a mistake that I have practised so much (on the cos graph.

so I need 100% on C4 for it to give me a possibility to get an A*

anyway
    since it was really bad, I checked online
    Students can speak to your schools exam officer to tell them to apply you for special consideration)
    depending on your circumstance, a small percentage of the total raw marks will be added to your school

if you say you were ill 2% will be added, which is around only 1.5 raw marks
    (which is ridiculous!)

max add is 5% but that's for terminal illness announced near exam etc

Finally, if you have missed it by a few marks and haven't met the offer then some uni's do allow for a drop in grade. however, this depends on the nature of your course, the university, and your offer and the competition for your course.

Therefore, don't worry for now. There are other ways.
    You can call the uni later if you've dropped the A* by a few marks

Meanwhile, if anyone does Biology, here's a video to cheer you guys up
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGQjixXdzZQ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    You'll get in! They can be lenient even if you don't get the A*.

I think I got 100 in Core 3 and maybe 92 in Core 4? Not sure whatever 65/66 will be in terms of UMS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ah ok that's good! which questions did you not do as well on in core 4? :/

ReputationRep:
    They did it on exam paper tho
    Could easily print out a past paper and do it on the blank/extra sheets?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ah ok that's good! which questions did you not do as well on in core 4? :/
    Didn't answer the co-ordinates of E. That lost 4 marks straight away. Then I misread the implicit question. I differentiated wrong and got 7/4 not 11/8

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    so for the final part of the binomial question, if you had expanded the binomial wrong previously but correctly calculated a value for x = 1/3 was it?
    Would that get me the full 2 ecf mark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Could easily print out a past paper and do it on the blank/extra sheets?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Someone would bother?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fotevaf)
    thank you for appreciating it, because it took me quite some time
    but it helped me too.

Before seeing this I assumed they would be lower (grade boundaries)
    but seeing as it was an 'easier' C4, I guess they would be on the high end, which makes me sad.

First of all, the university will most likely not deal with issues regarding conditions during exams as that has to be sorted out with the exam officer first.

I am in a similar position as you.
    I was sick on my C3 exam, so much that I literally did not see the equation they gave (I missed the secx in sqrtxsecx and integrated the other part) and made a mistake that I have practised so much (on the cos graph.

so I need 100% on C4 for it to give me a possibility to get an A*

anyway
    since it was really bad, I checked online
    Students can speak to your schools exam officer to tell them to apply you for special consideration)
    depending on your circumstance, a small percentage of the total raw marks will be added to your school

if you say you were ill 2% will be added, which is around only 1.5 raw marks
    (which is ridiculous!)

max add is 5% but that's for terminal illness announced near exam etc

Finally, if you have missed it by a few marks and haven't met the offer then some uni's do allow for a drop in grade. however, this depends on the nature of your course, the university, and your offer and the competition for your course.

Therefore, don't worry for now. There are other ways.
    You can call the uni later if you've dropped the A* by a few marks

Meanwhile, if anyone does Biology, here's a video to cheer you guys up
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGQjixXdzZQ
    I think i will call them on results day to discuss because I am partially sighted which means I'm always tired during exams due to excessive eye strain which severely affects my concentration levels, meaning I'm not always as sharp to get full marks on a question! Like today with the differential equation i didn't do 1/(1+t)^-2 and left it as ^-1 probably lost at most 16 marks and least 12 :/ probably not an A* I know but I always struggle due my eyesight which severely affects my exam performance

ReputationRep:
    Someone would bother?
    Less effort than typing the mark scheme in latex lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Didn't answer the co-ordinates of E. That lost 4 marks straight away. Then I misread the implicit question. I differentiated wrong and got 7/4 not 11/8

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Neither did I. Also with the implicit differentiation I wrote my dy/dx expression the wrong way up so got my answer as 8/11 not 11/8 and for the differential equation I didn't integrate the 1/(t+1)^-2 correctly, think i differentiated it :/ do you think you've an A* in maths then? I did D1 as my applied in order to take the pressure off me and hopefully get an A* but now it seems like this si unlikely as I've probably got 62 on core 4, which is likely no where near A* :/ i was so close....

ReputationRep:
    1. How much ums would 55/75 for core 3, 56/75 for core and 67/75 for stats 1b get me like estimate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Well done dude. I reckon 100 on C3 and maybe 92 if I'm lucky on C4? Not sure what 65/66 will be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    65 should be at least 95 I'd think. You'll get an A* easy especially as you're confident of 100 on c3. You only needed an A as well

Let's focus on phya4 now
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think i will call them on results day to discuss because I am partially sighted which means I'm always tired during exams due to excessive eye strain which severely affects my concentration levels, meaning I'm not always as sharp to get full marks on a question! Like today with the differential equation i didn't do 1/(1+t)^-2 and left it as ^-1 probably lost at most 16 marks and least 12 :/ probably not an A* I know but I always struggle due my eyesight which severely affects my exam performance
    it's a good reason
    they are likely to excuse you

which course is it?

(and which university, if you don't mind)

ReputationRep:
    but I imagine model solutions originate from a teacher
    That doesn't mean it has to be correct lol

CD's mark scheme is correct, I got all those

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fotevaf)
    it's a good reason
    they are likely to excuse you

which course is it?

(and which university, if you don't mind)
    It's chemistry at Bath University. They increased my offer to A*AA from AAB due to high competition :/ how about you?

ReputationRep:
    Neither did I. Also with the implicit differentiation I wrote my dy/dx expression the wrong way up so got my answer as 8/11 not 11/8 and for the differential equation I didn't integrate the 1/(t+1)^-2 correctly, think i differentiated it :/ do you think you've an A* in maths then? I did D1 as my applied in order to take the pressure off me and hopefully get an A* but now it seems like this si unlikely as I've probably got 62 on core 4, which is likely no where near A* :/ i was so close....
    Dude I wouldn't fret. We can't possibly speculate accurately enough to comfort you. I know it's tough because bath have put the grades up (which I think it's downright unfair during the exam season - what about the people who applied with AAB as the max they could achieve?).

I couldn't predict it. I hope it is enough though man. Your determination gets one from me anyway haha! Apart from anything, it would be great if you did get in - we could meet up on Freshers week!

(Original post by ubisoft)
    65 should be at least 95 I'd think. You'll get an A* easy especially as you're confident of 100 on c3. You only needed an A as well

Let's focus on phya4 now
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    You think 64/65 will be enough? I just desperately want an A*. I don't necessarily need it as such. It's just for the amount of effort I've put in this year.

Gutted how I did today but hoping C3 made up for it.

Yeah PHYA4 will be tough - join us on that thread dude

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.