Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilyC96)
    Could someone help me with 3c from jan 12 please

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  176.7 KB

Do you understand the method I have used?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpr0)
    It's pretty simple actually.

Cubed-root of 100 = 100^3/2.

Therefore just consider what value of x is required for 8 + 6x = 100 to be true. Then substitute this value of x into your answer to b and simplify into the form a/b.
    Actually the cube root of 100 is 10^2/3, meaning you sub x=1/3 into the previous expansion of (8+6x)^2/3.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    8b on Jan 12 is killer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthew6665)
    Guys I will be really grateful , if someone helps me with a question, I attempted it like 10 times and don't know what to do.
    Its a question from JUNE 2010 QUESTION 3(b)
    Thanks !
    Basically you need to take out P such that P(2x^2 - x + 1)/2x^2 - x +1 + the rest = the original fraction. The way to know what P is, is by comparing numerator and denominator. You see a 6x^2 on the top and 2x^2 on the bottom. 6 is 3 lots of 2 and therefore P is 3. If P is 3 you need a -3x on the top not an x so you rewrite x as - 3x + 4x. Same goes for the 2, becoming 3 - 1. This allows you to take out 3(2x^2...)/2x^2... leaving behind 4x - 1 .

ReputationRep:
    Guys I will be really grateful , if someone helps me with a question, I attempted it like 10 times and don't know what to do.
    Its a question from JUNE 2010 QUESTION 3(b)
    Thanks !
Views: 98
Size:  228.6 KB

Just multiply up by the denominator and then equate coefficients for A and then put it equal to zero to work out what's left over for Qx+r.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Actually the cube root of 100 is 10^2/3, meaning you sub x=1/3 into the previous expansion of (8+6x)^2/3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh wow, I really wrote that ... My mind must be imploding.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I missed the +Qx+r out on the second to last line...
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyrah)
    8b on Jan 12 is killer
    Totally agree... Have you figured it out?

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, I really wrote that ... My mind must be imploding.
    lol no worries! I assumed you didn't actually think that cube root of 100 was 100^3/2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saad97)
Views: 98
Size:  228.6 KB

Just multiply up by the denominator and then equate coefficients for A and then put it equal to zero to work out what's left over for Qx+r.
    Thanks , i get it now ! And could you tell me what to do in that same paper so JUNE 2010 Question 4 (b) , the last part of the binomial question. (:

ReputationRep:
    Woah.

Has everyone seen/done June 2011 Q6, literally < 3 minutes for a 10 mark question , please AQA put this in the exam ?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks , i get it now ! And could you tell me what to do in that same paper so JUNE 2010 Question 4 (b) , the last part of the binomial question. (:
    Basically they're both to the power of 2/3 so you need to see what value of x would make the bracket = 13. It's confusing to explain but my workings should make sense? Well I hope so anyway aha let me know if you have any questions.
Views: 94
Size:  369.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    Basically they're both to the power of 2/3 so you need to see what value of x would make the bracket = 13. It's confusing to explain but my workings should make sense? Well I hope so anyway aha let me know if you have any questions.
Views: 94
Size:  369.9 KB
    Yep, makes sense. Thanks ! I guess you're ready for the exam ?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, makes sense. Thanks ! I guess you're ready for the exam ?
    Haha I wish! I'm no where near prepared, still struggle with vectors and stuff wbu?

ReputationRep:
    Haha I wish! I'm no where near prepared, still struggle with vectors and stuff wbu?
    Same haha, Struggle with vectors (but not the first parts of questions such as If they are collinear, if they intersect etc, just the last parts)
    And struggle with some last parts of the question as these two that I've asked you about lol.
    But we still have some time till the exam !

ReputationRep:
    Same haha, Struggle with vectors (but not the first parts of questions such as If they are collinear, if they intersect etc, just the last parts)
    And struggle with some last parts of the question as these two that I've asked you about lol.
    But we still have some time till the exam !
    Yeah that's exactly same with me, and sometimes differential equations can be confusing.
    That's true, but I don't think you can be prepared for an AQA exam, they're just nobs. -.-

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's exactly same with me, and sometimes differential equations can be confusing.
    That's true, but I don't think you can be prepared for an AQA exam, they're just nobs. -.-
    Exactly... That core 3 exam was just the worst exam I've taken in those 2 years in college lol. I lost like 30 marks on it :/ How did you find it ?

ReputationRep:
    Woah.

Has everyone seen/done June 2011 Q6, literally < 3 minutes for a 10 mark question , please AQA put this in the exam ?
    a m a z i n g

ReputationRep:
    Exactly... That core 3 exam was just the worst exam I've taken in those 2 years in college lol. I lost like 30 marks on it :/ How did you find it ?
    I found it awful too, there were a couple of questions on there I'd never ever seen before like wtf?

ReputationRep:
    Ey, anyone got some advice for vectors practice. Just finished another practice paper with no troubles apart from on the vectors question.

As it stands, I'll be fine if they put in a single vectors question in the Q5/6/7 area but if vectors is the final question I'm pretty screwed as it stands (and if there are two - goodbye A*). I have no trouble with my understanding (i.e. the basic method), I just need some recomendations for practice material to help my realisation (i.e. what to do on the problems questions, I'm fine if it asks to show two lines intersect -etc).

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.