Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme] Watch

ReputationRep:
    Did the june 2014 paper earlier today and will be very happy if they give us a similar paper - managed 100 UMS on it
    (Original post by datpr0)
    Really hoping for a single vectors question around the Q6 mark, with exponentials/differential equations as the final question. How about you guys?
    Got a feeling they wont be so kind this year, I'd put my money on them giving us a killer vectors question at the end.....

ReputationRep:
    After my history exam tomorrow I really need to go over C4 lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oraeng)
    Did the june 2014 paper earlier today and will be very happy if they give us a similar paper - managed 100 UMS on it
    Got a feeling they wont be so kind this year, I'd put my money on them giving us a killer vectors question at the end.....
    Eeesh, please no! It's not that I'm incapable of doing tough vectors questions, it's just that I missed the vectors lessons in class - however long ago they were - and I've basically been learning them from an M1 level since Friday :/ (not the best revision schedule I've ever had).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpr0)
    Eeesh, please no! It's not that I'm incapable of doing tough vectors questions, it's just that I missed the vectors lessons in class - however long ago they were - and I've basically been learning them from an M1 level since Friday :/ (not the best revision schedule I've ever had).
    I'm not 100% confident with vectors either so I am hoping the question won't be too hard, just doubt they will give another easy one after last year

What do you mean learning from an M1 level? M1 vectors and C4 vectors aren't really related

ReputationRep:
    I'm not 100% confident with vectors either so I am hoping the question won't be too hard, just doubt they will give another easy one after last year

What do you mean learning from an M1 level? M1 vectors and C4 vectors aren't really related
    Literally as in I knew how to express them in collumn or i, j, k form and I knew how to find the magnitude of a vector. Oh, and that AB = OB - OA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2014_GCSE)
    You basically sub in values of X to make the brackets = 0 for 2 of the 3 letters so you can work out the remaining letter.

Attachment 421737
    Thank you so much! I could work out A and C but I was just stuck on how to work out B. But I get it now so thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    After my history exam tomorrow I really need to go over C4 lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    same dude, how you feeling about history?? :'(

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody got any good sources which can help with solving very hard vector questions e.g. Proving it's a parallelogram etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I always skip the last vector question. 5 marks are not worth 10 minutes, where you could be doing other questions.

Provided you get everything else, you can still get 100

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    I always skip the last vector question. 5 marks are not worth 10 minutes, where you could be doing other questions.

Provided you get everything else, you can still get 100
    Very true, if you can get the standard first parts of the vectors question and you're confident on all other topics an A* is still completely achievable.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone remember a particularly challenging question from any of the papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalPerkins)
    Anyone remember a particularly challenging question from any of the papers?
    Jan 2013 Q7 was a great exponentials question a lot of people found tough.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone happen to have a link to the June 2011 XMCA2 c3/4 pilot paper? Can't seem to find it anywhere :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nairline)
    same dude, how you feeling about history?? :'(
    Not very good! Prefer C4 haha! You?
    Which history do you do? I'm doing Edexcel Kaiser to Fuhrer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  307.2 KBCan someone explain why you're not allowed to verify (plug in the values) for 4b yet in other years you can?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tibooster)
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  307.2 KBCan someone explain why you're not allowed to verify (plug in the values) for 4b yet in other years you can?
    It doesn't say in the mark scheme you're not allowed to do that, it's just not one of the listed methods.
    I think as long as you leave it in the: "y=x^2/9 + 9/x^2" form at the end, it doesn't matter how you do it.

I literally just did that paper and I subbed in the values.

ReputationRep:
    hi there,

what exactly do we need to know for vectors, im ok with the standard stuff but people are saying stuff about parallel and dot product equalling -1???!!!

also i get really confused when they put shapes like parralelograms, what other shapes can they ask about... they asked a dot product question last year so it will probably be a hard shape incorporated vector question this year...

any help??

this question is a prime example..

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-QP-JUN10.PDF

Q7 i wouldv lost all 4 marks for part C, i just dont know whats going on helppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmenace)
    also i get really confused when they put shapes like parralelograms, what other shapes can they ask about...
    Someone posted this list on a previous page:

guys what shapes could they ask?~~~[vectors]
    Rhombus
    isosceles triangle
    trapeziums
    kites
    rectangles
    parallelograms
    squares
    perpendicular a.b=0
    parallel=a.b=-1
    cut put circles in there
    maybe use cosine rule/sine rule also given that we find the magnitudes out???

ReputationRep:

Q7 i wouldv lost all 4 marks for part C, i just dont know whats going on helppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
    Name:  IMG_0619.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  499.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    hi there,

what exactly do we need to know for vectors, im ok with the standard stuff but people are saying stuff about parallel and dot product equalling -1???!!!

also i get really confused when they put shapes like parralelograms, what other shapes can they ask about... they asked a dot product question last year so it will probably be a hard shape incorporated vector question this year...

any help??

The funky vectors questions are basically an application of a bunch of the standard stuff. In this case, if you're unsure just draw yourself a labelled diagram of what's going on and you should be able to solve it.

As for shapes you just need to remember their basic properties, generally what sides are of equal length/ parallel/ perpendicular.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.