Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme] Watch

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what I've done wrong, but I've just done june 12 and on 8 b)I) I got C=4/15 and in the mark scheme it's -4/15. I collected the constants from both sides over to one. One side comes out as 0+C so the other side was equal to C. Are you meant to put C to the other side if it equals 0 or something?

ReputationRep:
    can someone help me with June 11 question 8b? really confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpr0)
    The funky vectors questions are basically an application of a bunch of the standard stuff. In this case, if you're unsure just draw yourself a labelled diagram of what's going on and you should be able to solve it.

As for shapes you just need to remember their basic properties, generally what sides are of equal length/ parallel/ perpendicular.
    Yeah I did this paper the other day and I only got on coordinate, wasn't sure how to get the other. And it takes so long for 4 marks it's just awful haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2014_GCSE)
    Someone posted this list on a previous page:

guys what shapes could they ask?~~~[vectors]
    Rhombus
    isosceles triangle
    trapeziums
    kites
    rectangles
    parallelograms
    squares
    perpendicular a.b=0
    parallel=a.b=-1
    cut put circles in there
    maybe use cosine rule/sine rule also given that we find the magnitudes out???
    circles????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackNorman)
    Not sure what I've done wrong, but I've just done june 12 and on 8 b)I) I got C=4/15 and in the mark scheme it's -4/15. I collected the constants from both sides over to one. One side comes out as 0+C so the other side was equal to C. Are you meant to put C to the other side if it equals 0 or something?
    I did the same thing! I just ignored it because you end up with the same answer in the end, and I think the examiner would be smart enough to see that you've just put the constant on the other side because it's the exact same number, just negative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmenace)
    circles????
    Yeah... I don't quite get that either. I'm guessing they might have a vector going across a circle and you might have to work out the circumference by the vector length and then work out the area of the circle? Something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpr0)
    The scalar product = 0 if they're perpendicular and as such if you're told that AP-> is perpendicular to CD-> you know you'll probably need to use the scalar product to find the answer they want.
    I understand this, but sometimes we dot a vector with another vector and sometimes we have to dot a vector with a direction vector of another line, how do we know? Is it if we do not have the direction vector of the line we have to dot two vectors?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did the same thing! I just ignored it because you end up with the same answer in the end, and I think the examiner would be smart enough to see that you've just put the constant on the other side because it's the exact same number, just negative.
    Ah right cheers. Think in future I'll just put the C over to the other side to be safe 😂

ReputationRep:
    Also did you manage the vectors question? I just don't see where the squaring comes into it, never did that in lessons :s

ReputationRep:
    circles????
    Yeah, that's unlikely. The only things I can imagine they'd be able to ask is if you find the magnitude of a line which you're told is the radius of a circle so then you could find area/circunfrence I guess... Or finding the angle between two lines of equal length and finding the arc length/ area of a segment using r(theta)/ r^2(theta).

ReputationRep:
    Also did you manage the vectors question? I just don't see where the squaring comes into it, never did that in lessons :s
    Which paper was it again, haha?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... I don't quite get that either. I'm guessing they might have a vector going across a circle and you might have to work out the circumference by the vector length and then work out the area of the circle? Something like that.
    oh so i guess that isnt too bad?? vector length is magnitude right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RhyaCeri)
    can someone help me with June 11 question 8b? really confused
    Sure. I'll go do it now and then take a picture of how it's done.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, it's really simple . AP is the magnitude of vector AP->, which you find by the sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2). So AP^2 just cancels out the sqrt.

ReputationRep:
    oh so i guess that isnt too bad?? vector length is magnitude right?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't say in the mark scheme you're not allowed to do that, it's just not one of the listed methods.
    I think as long as you leave it in the: "y=x^2/9 + 9/x^2" form at the end, it doesn't matter how you do it.

I literally just did that paper and I subbed in the values.
    Yeah I normally just sub them in but then I read this is the Examiner's Report.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  307.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    Sure. I'll go do it now and then take a picture of how it's done.
    thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tibooster)
    Yeah I normally just sub them in but then I read this is the Examiner's Report.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  307.3 KB
    That says you can sub the numbers in!! As long as you leave a final equation at the end, you can't just "verify" it works by subbing them in.

You need to leave the final "y=x^2/9-9/x^2".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RhyaCeri)
    thank you so much
    I hope you can follow what I did because I know it's a bit messy at times. Feel free to ask me about any parts where you don't understand what I did!

Name:  IMG_0624.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  477.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    That says you can sub the numbers in!! As long as you leave a final equation at the end, you can't just "verify" it works by subbing them in.

You need to leave the final "y=x^2/9-9/x^2".
    Oh sorry my bad, that's a relief because I thought I was going to have to learn a new method

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.