Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tibooster)
    Yeah I normally just sub them in but then I read this is the Examiner's Report.
    Attachment 421883
    Most likely because it said "show that" which is different to "verify".

Verify is like confirmation.
    Showing that is more like a base proof.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got a list of formulas that we'll need to know that aren't in the formula book?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2014_GCSE)
    I hope you can follow what I did because I know it's a bit messy at times. Feel free to ask me about any parts where you don't understand what I did!

Attachment 421897
    ahh thank you this helped alot, i started okay but ended up integrating (x-1)^-2 wrong!

ReputationRep:
    Okay this question is from an OCR paper, but how are you supposed to know which corner of the parallelogram is which position vector? Or does it not matter? ((i) is (0,2,1) and (ii) is 94)
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atmosphere)
    Has anyone got a list of formulas that we'll need to know that aren't in the formula book?
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's:

The double angle formulae (1 for sin, 3 for cos and 1 for tan),
    The differential equations formula (integral of 1/h(y) dy = integral of g(x) dx),
    Vectors stuff (i.e. a.b = [a] x [b] x cos(theta), where [] is magnitude).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpr0)
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's:

The double angle formulae (1 for sin, 3 for cos and 1 for tan),
    The differential equations formula (integral of 1/h(y) dy = integral of g(x) dx),
    Binomial expansions,
    Vectors stuff.
    Core 4 Binomial Expansion is given in the formula book!

ReputationRep:
    Core 4 Binomial Expansion is given in the formula book!
    It is ? I'll remove it from the list then .

ReputationRep:
    What I've never understood about the June 2013 Vector question (6d) is that why is it that just because the area of a triangle is 3 times as big, that the BASE is 3 times as big (that's how you find out the co-ordinates)? Couldn't it have a bigger area in other ways. http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...4-QP-JUN13.PDF

Can anyone shed some light on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tibooster)
    Attachment 421841Can someone explain why you're not allowed to verify (plug in the values) for 4b yet in other years you can?
    hi there, how exactly do you do part c?, im not sure what to sub in and how we find k.... also what paper is this?

ReputationRep:
    What I've never understood about the June 2013 Vector question (6d) is that why is it that just because the area of a triangle is 3 times as big, that the BASE is 3 times as big (that's how you find out the co-ordinates)? Couldn't it have a bigger area in other ways. http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...4-QP-JUN13.PDF

Can anyone shed some light on this?
    it's because the height (vector CD) of the triangles are all the same, hence for 3x area the base must be 3 times as big (area = half base x height)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mamacita)
    it's because the height (vector CD) of the triangles are all the same, hence for 3x area the base must be 3 times as big (area = half base x height)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbp7dkFL41k this might help

ReputationRep:
    hope this isn't a stupid question but it probably is, june 2014 question 4bi and 4bii, what is P?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeyCheung)
    hope this isn't a stupid question but it probably is, june 2014 question 4bi and 4bii, what is P?!
    Read the question.

ReputationRep:
    hi, i understand that but the new triangles we are given are not right angled like the origional one so how can 1/2b*h apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmenace)
    hi, i understand that but the new triangles we are given are not right angled like the origional one so how can 1/2b*h apply?
    1/2 x base x height applies for ALL triangles !
    I think you're getting confused with the fact that the height of a right-angled triangle also happens to be the length of one of the sides.

ReputationRep:
    LMAO FOUND A HITLER REACTS TO C3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG4A--zdaBc

ReputationRep:
    http://i.gyazo.com/b620b32147ddb28ae3a50f63f9c99748.png

Jan 11 Q5bii worked answer.

Can someone explain to me how d1 was found please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyrah)
    LMAO FOUND A HITLER REACTS TO C3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG4A--zdaBc
    Yes ;D! I completely agree with that rant about Q2, like, I know we have graphing calculators but I was still waking up at that point - my brain was not yet functioning properly xD...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpr0)
    Yes ;D! I completely agree with that rant about Q2, like, I know we have graphing calculators but I was still waking up at that point - my brain was not yet functioning properly xD...
    Graphing caluclators shouldn't be allowed. It's BS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgottenApple)
    Graphing caluclators shouldn't be allowed. It's BS
    Yes, well, they certainly diminsh the point of learning certain graphs (i.e. inverse sin/cos/tan and the graphs for cosec/sec/cot). I assume, also, that their existence is the reasoning for having to explicitly state points of intersection with the axis to get the marks nowadays as anyone can draw a correctly shaped graph by copying it from their graphing calculator.

They're also the reason why many papers deal with the graph of y = f(x), where f(x) is undefined, so that your graphing calculator won't help; which, in turn, begs the question of why their use is even permitted in the first place ^^.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.