The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by saad97
Haha true but still, "every little helps" :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suppose it does :P

Original post by saad97
Me too! Else I'm so screwed!

Oh nice, what is the offer for and where from?
Exactly, no harm in aiming high :tongue: but yeah I'm sure you'll do well if you keep working hard. :smile:

Aha well I must admit that it doesn't seem like you ever have a bad day :tongue:
True but we can always strive for perfection. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right! Sounds like we're in the same boat! I want to study Computer Science at Bath, which requires AAA :smile: you??

Working hard is the trick to everything in life I think - reaping the reward isn't nearly as sweet if you haven't done anything to deserve it!

It may seem that way but trust me if you were in my maths class then you'd be shocked at the amount of dumb mistakes I make aha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 101
Original post by CD223
I suppose it does :P

Oh right! Sounds like we're in the same boat! I want to study Computer Science at Bath, which requires AAA :smile: you??

Working hard is the trick to everything in life I think - reaping the reward isn't nearly as sweet if you haven't done anything to deserve it!

It may seem that way but trust me if you were in my maths class then you'd be shocked at the amount of dumb mistakes I make aha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh nice! :biggrin:
I want to study Chem Eng at Uni of Manchester but I didn't do as well last year so I'll have to do a foundation year which requires BBC for me. Or Aston uni have offered me BBB to go straight on the course but then again Manchester's > Aston so I'm struggling. :/

I completely agree! You only feel that satisfaction when you've actually put the effort in and worked hard to achieve something.

Oh aha but that's the same with everyone, if you think you're bad you should check out my maths teacher! 😂
Let's just hope these "bad days" aren't on our exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 102
Original post by saad97
Oh nice! :biggrin:
I want to study Chem Eng at Uni of Manchester but I didn't do as well last year so I'll have to do a foundation year which requires BBC for me. Or Aston uni have offered me BBB to go straight on the course but then again Manchester's > Aston so I'm struggling. :/
I completely agree! You only feel that satisfaction when you've actually put the effort in and worked hard to achieve something.
Oh aha but that's the same with everyone, if you think you're bad you should check out my maths teacher! 😂
Let's just hope these "bad days" aren't on our exams!

Oh wow! Yeah I've heard a lot of great things about Manchester, but I'd say go with your instincts!

Very true!

Aw no! My maths teacher is pretty good I think - I just feel like sometimes I'm a bit behind the rest of the class because I don't do further maths haha!

How many past papers have you done for C3 and C4 so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by saad97
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1426449160.467394.jpg

I'm pretty sure you can't do that... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your first dodgy move was at the end of line 5.

You'll give yourself less grief if, after line 3 you multiply all 3 terms by 99. Then you won't have to work with fractionsand won't do naughty things with the fractions.
Reply 104
Original post by tiny hobbit

You'll give yourself less grief if, after line 3 you multiply all 3 terms by 99. Then you won't have to work with fractionsand won't do naughty things with the fractions.

Thank you once again! How many marks would you say our working would get in a question of this difficulty?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Thank you once again! How many marks would you say our working would get in a question of this difficulty?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No idea, I mark Mechanics for a different board. You should be able to guess from looking at mark schemes.

More important though, is to take in the idea that multiplying through to get rid of fractions is a good plan, since it stops you messing up the rearranging fractions.
Reply 106
No idea, I mark Mechanics for a different board. You should be able to guess from looking at mark schemes.

More important though, is to take in the idea that multiplying through to get rid of fractions is a good plan, since it stops you messing up the rearranging fractions.

Ah right, I see! Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 107
Original post by CD223
Oh wow! Yeah I've heard a lot of great things about Manchester, but I'd say go with your instincts!

Very true!

Aw no! My maths teacher is pretty good I think - I just feel like sometimes I'm a bit behind the rest of the class because I don't do further maths haha!

How many past papers have you done for C3 and C4 so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've always wanted to go Manchester, ever since I started considering uni. I've also asked people who are graduates and have heard good things so yeah that will most likely be my firm. No harm in studying 1 extra year eh? :tongue:

Haha aw yeah sometimes further maths can be a bit of an advantage but luckily for me no one studies it in my class.

I've done almost every single C3 paper I can find but haven't done any C4 because we haven't learnt all the content yet :/ Wbu?
I feel we're behind, have you completed the content?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 108

Thank you for the advice, i'll keep it in mind for further questions. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 109
Original post by saad97
I've always wanted to go Manchester, ever since I started considering uni. I've also asked people who are graduates and have heard good things so yeah that will most likely be my firm. No harm in studying 1 extra year eh? :tongue:

Haha aw yeah sometimes further maths can be a bit of an advantage but luckily for me no one studies it in my class.

I've done almost every single C3 paper I can find but haven't done any C4 because we haven't learnt all the content yet :/ Wbu?
I feel we're behind, have you completed the content?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly, if you enjoy it that much, an extra year is absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. You won't exactly be behind compared to people your age. I'm doing a 4 year course because a year of it is in industry which I think is a great opportunity.

Oh wow! What subjects do you take then? Maths, further maths and physics?

Have you done the June 2014 C3 paper? I'm debating whether or not to have a go at it but I can't find a mark scheme for it.

We've completed the content for C3 and C4 and are currently 2/3 of the way through M2 so hopefully we finish by Easter or a couple of weeks after at the very latest. Where are you at?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 110
Original post by CD223
Honestly, if you enjoy it that much, an extra year is absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. You won't exactly be behind compared to people your age. I'm doing a 4 year course because a year of it is in industry which I think is a great opportunity.

Oh wow! What subjects do you take then? Maths, further maths and physics?

Have you done the June 2014 C3 paper? I'm debating whether or not to have a go at it but I can't find a mark scheme for it.

We've completed the content for C3 and C4 and are currently 2/3 of the way through M2 so hopefully we finish by Easter or a couple of weeks after at the very latest. Where are you at?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly, that's what I was thinking so yeah Manchester will be my firm! :biggrin:
Oh really? Nice! True I completely agree, it is a great opportunity, it gives you an advantage over others when you're applying for jobs as well I guess and more importantly gives you a feel of what it's actually like to work in the sector.

No sorry, I meant no one in my class does further maths so I'm not at a disadvantage.* I study Maths Chem and Physics.

Yeah we did it for our mock in January. I suggest you have a go at it because there were a couple of really tricky questions. I have my teachers solutions so I could provide you with them if you pm me once you're done? :smile:

Oh we're in a similar situation, completed C3 and M1, should have C4 done by easter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 111
Original post by saad97
Exactly, that's what I was thinking so yeah Manchester will be my firm! :biggrin:
Oh really? Nice! True I completely agree, it is a great opportunity, it gives you an advantage over others when you're applying for jobs as well I guess and more importantly gives you a feel of what it's actually like to work in the sector.
No sorry, I meant no one in my class does further maths so I'm not at a disadvantage.* I study Maths Chem and Physics.
Yeah we did it for our mock in January. I suggest you have a go at it because there were a couple of really tricky questions. I have my teachers solutions so I could provide you with them if you pm me once you're done? :smile:
Oh we're in a similar situation, completed C3 and M1, should have C4 done by easter.

Ah good for you! :smile:
Exactly! Paid experience during the degree sounds amazing, especially for the subject I'm doing aha. I just pray I'm good enough to receive a job offer for when I graduate!
Oh I see! Maths Chem and Physics eh? "The nutbuster" :biggrin: That must be pretty darn hard!
Oh that would be great if you could? Thank you! I'd appreciate that. Will you also eventually be given a C4 June 2014 solutions sheet?

Sounds like we're gonna be finishing around the same sort of time!
Reply 112
Original post by CD223
Ah good for you! :smile:
Exactly! Paid experience during the degree sounds amazing, especially for the subject I'm doing aha. I just pray I'm good enough to receive a job offer for when I graduate!
Oh I see! Maths Chem and Physics eh? "The nutbuster" :biggrin: That must be pretty darn hard!
Oh that would be great if you could? Thank you! I'd appreciate that. Will you also eventually be given a C4 June 2014 solutions sheet?

Sounds like we're gonna be finishing around the same sort of time!

It really does, I'd definitely take it if I was offered something like that, it's just the whole experience!
Oh don't worry, I'm sure you'll be spoilt for choice once you graduate :smile:
Ahahaha :biggrin: yeah it can get a bit difficult at times but by far physics is the hardest of them! Requires so much work and effort.

Yeah sure, I'll pm you the pics once I dig out the solutions. Erm yeah we should be, once I get it i'll pass it on but I don't think that's going to be till after Easter.

Yup, thought we were behind but I guess not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 113
Original post by saad97
It really does, I'd definitely take it if I was offered something like that, it's just the whole experience!
Oh don't worry, I'm sure you'll be spoilt for choice once you graduate :smile:
Ahahaha :biggrin: yeah it can get a bit difficult at times but by far physics is the hardest of them! Requires so much work and effort.

Yeah sure, I'll pm you the pics once I dig out the solutions. Erm yeah we should be, once I get it i'll pass it on but I don't think that's going to be till after Easter.

Yup, thought we were behind but I guess not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I guess physics is the hardest of my subjects too! Thanks for that! I'll have a go at the C3 June 2014 on the weekend - is that okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 114
Original post by CD223
Ah I guess physics is the hardest of my subjects too! Thanks for that! I'll have a go at the C3 June 2014 on the weekend - is that okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't everyone else's hardest too, so much thinking involved! :/
What other subjects do you study?
Yeah sure, that'll give me time to find the solutions too. Good luck with the paper! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 115
Original post by saad97
I'd be very surprised if it wasn't everyone else's hardest too, so much thinking involved! :/
Yeah sure, that'll give me time to find the solutions too. Good luck with the paper! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's really hard :/ I do Maths, Physics, Computing and History :smile:

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by saad97

Posted from TSR Mobile

What on earth:eek: in all seriousness I think chemistry is on a slightly other level to maths and physics it's just too much:lolwut::angry::confused: I think it's about three times as hard as physics although physics can catch you sometimes with those "killer questions"
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 117
Original post by madmenace
What on earth:eek: in all seriousness I think chemistry is on a slightly other level to maths and physics it's just too much:lolwut::angry::confused: I think it's about three times as hard as physics although physics can catch you sometimes with those "killer questions"

Physics practical exams are the bane of my existence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 118
I've finally done some spring cleaning on my A level exam threads and today have added resources to the first post of this thread!

If anyone wants their resources adding, either post it and quote me on here, or send me a PM :smile:

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have some sort of graph for past grade boundaries?

Quick Reply

Latest